Does Wal-Mart sell organic produce? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 PM

I've never been to Wal-Mart but I've heard that they sell groceries at some of their supercenters. Do they carry organic produce? I wouldn't mind dropping in from time to time if they did because I can only grocery shop late at night during the week and like that they are open 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2008, 07:56 PM

I'm almost positive they don't. Krogers does if you have one near you, but even that's questionable about how authentic it is.
#3 Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Our local Walmart (upstate NY) does have some organic produce.
#4 Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM

We have 3 Walmart stores in our town and they are all supercenters with the food. They all seem to have some organic produce, but not nearly as stocked as I think they should be. Our Gerbes (owned by Kroger) has more organic produce, but I think our HyVee has the best selection for the best prices. The Wal-Mart produce here looks to be about half dead most of the time, so I try to stay away from it if I can.

Cheap is not always better!
#5 Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 PM

I agree about the Wal-mart "organics" not always being the best.

But this depends largely on your particular store. Some WM's are much better than others, in what they carry and also the quality of their produce department.

So, I would suggest just stopping in one day and checking it out.

I'm not much of a H*llmart shopper, personally, but depending on where you live, it may be your only option.

I do about 95% of my shopping at Kroger (waaay better produce depart.) and alot more variety as well, 3% at Bi-Lo and the other 2% at Wal-mart.

But I will say, that Wal-mart in this area is THE only place that sells tofu, if you can believe that?

I sooo miss living in Florida, you could find veggie/vegan options at ALL the grocery stores.

Good luck!

Michelle
#6 Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 AM

Our WalMart superstores sell some organic produce and it's not bad. Not much of the organic stuff anywhere around here is all that great.
#7 Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 AM

Some do. But be warned that Wal-Mart doesn't carry very good produce. You'll definitely take a step down in quality.
#8 Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 AM

their produce is the suck, whether organic or not.

we do grocery shop there sometimes but it's never in the produce section anymore.

i have far better luck at kroger, though they don't carry a whole lot of organic.
#9 Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM

I'm thinking that's why I was positive Walmart didn't carry organic, because I usually think of organic as being bright, colorful, and healthy looking. Hehe.
#10 Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM

I've read many a story about walmart marking products as being organic (milk comes to mind) when in fact, it is not.

besides, walmart is the work of the devil
#11 Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

^^^ yeah, i read about that- they were labelling everything remotely 'natural' as 'organics' for a while. very sneaky. and naughty.

ours does sell some organic produce. i've found that fruit and veg from walmart tends to disintegrate almost the moment it leaves the stores boundaries though. i reckon some kind of strange forcefield surrounding the building, or mysterious additive pumped into the air in the store is responsible (which might also explain why nobody in there seems capable of driving a trolley). or it could just be really really rubbish quality produce thats been cold-stored and forced, and wasn't half great before it went through that.
#12 Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=hoodedclawjen;1964782 i've found that fruit and veg from walmart tends to disintegrate almost the moment it leaves the stores boundaries though.[/QUOTE]

No kidding! I got some zucchini and strawberries there Friday and on Sunday they were totally rotted mush and had to throw them all out.
#13 Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 AM

They were legally forced to quit labeling things 'organic' if they weren't certified organic ... but they still position shelf signs to suggest that whole areas are organic when one item in that region is. And I've also found their quality suspect, although not universally bad.

On the other hand, they carry some dry and canned organic products that are the same stuff you'd find elsewhere.
#14 Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

They were legally forced to quit labeling things 'organic' if they weren't certified organic ... but they still position shelf signs to suggest that whole areas are organic when one item in that region is. And I've also found their quality suspect, although not universally bad.

On the other hand, they carry some dry and canned organic products that are the same stuff you'd find elsewhere.

I've noticed the sign thing before too!

If you're stuck with few other grocery options (or none!! like some small towns around here) at least they HAVE stuff. And a lot of the canned and dry, like Bios said, are the same brands as elsewhere. Honestly the produce around here isn't that bad, not Whole Foods quality, but we don't HAVE a Whole Foods. Not my first choice but I have to go with what's available.
#15 Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM

My Wal-Mart's produce section is pretty all right, I think it's because I live in the middle of farm country. Still, Gerbes puts it to shame.
#16 Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM

Wal-mart is one of the big companies using its substantial power trying to lower organic standards so they can label things organic even if they have lots of nasty chemicals in them. And did you hear about the brain-damaged ex employee who used her health insurance to pay her medical bills after being in a car wreak? When she won a personal injury lawsuit against the trucking company that hit her, Wal-mart sued her for thier health insurance money back. After legal fees, she now ows them thousands more than she won from the trucking company. They make billions yet decided to ruin her life for a few thousand. She can't pay her basic living expenses now. I will never shop there . You can read the story at Walmartwatch.com
#17 Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM

I hate shopping at Wal-Mart for many reasons, but sometimes it is a necessary evil. The ones close to me do have some organic produce and other organic items. I will sometimes go there for staples to save money but then do the rest of my shopping at Whole Foods since they carry things most stores don't have.

For price, though, you really cannot beat your local Farmer's Market. Whenever I go I can get huge bags of things for almost nothing. I try to go each weekend, but sometimes I get busy and have no time and then I end up paying too much elsewhere, including Wal-Mart.
#18 Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM

At the local wal-mart that I work at, we don't have any groceries period yet as it's just a normal store, and not a supercenter.

I've heard from different sources that Wal-Mart does carry little, very little actual organic fruits and veggies. I would actually recommend a Super Target over a Wal-Mart.

But, Hopefully they'll turn our store into a supercenter soon, we have a grocery section, not too big though. We barely even got the license to sell Alcohol yesterday, so we're a bit behind.
#19 Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 AM

organic fruits and veggies do vary in taste and quality-- now that certain- ahem- "higher ups" have taken part in the organic movement. One way to know if something is organic is to look at the little sticker with the numbers on it...if it starts with a 9 it's organic.
#20 Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Going to Walmart was the only choice for me last semester.

The produce section was pretty pitiful...I could never buy grapes because they would already be going bad and there were only like 3 bags at any time I was there grocery shopping.

I can't really recall there being a decently sized organic section and now I'm kinda turned off from seeking one out with the news of all the mislabeling.

My boyfriend & I are planning on trying another grocery store for next semester and gonna venture out to the local health & organic food store, The Herb Shop!
#21 Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM

Wal-Mart was never really too much that I know of, in the actual grocery business. They hold some stuff but it's not really something you can just get everything you need.

With the mislabeling this as you mentioned, that does play a big role in finding organics and non-organics. It's kind of hard nowadays, you sort of have to find a company that does just organics and make sure all of there produce is seperated from the rest or placed in baggies or something.

I've noticed even people in other grocery stores pick up fruit/veggies and walk over to some other area, find the same thing of the opposite (organic/non) and find it as a cheaper price and place it there. So, It's kind of hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page