Craving pickles? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Beginner

Lately I've been having a strange craving for pickles. I've been eating them all the time. Is there something in them that I might be deficient in (like a common thing a vegetarian might be lacking) and I'm craving them to make up for that deficiency?

Oh, and I'm sure somebody will ask, but I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Beginner

Your body could need potassium (even though I would imagine most vegetarian diets are abundant in potassium).. try eating some bananas and report back to Dr Greenrunner
#3 Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Beginner

Well that might be it, as I can't eat raw bananas (only cooked ones, but that is RARE) because I have an allergic reaction to them when they're raw.

I was also thinking I might be deficient in iron? But I eat lots of beans and legumes so I'm not sure about that.
#4 Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post

Well that might be it, as I can't eat raw bananas (only cooked ones, but that is RARE) because I have an allergic reaction to them when they're raw.

I was also thinking I might be deficient in iron? But I eat lots of beans and legumes so I'm not sure about that.

Doubtful then, potassium is everywhere. In Canada we have free health care, so I would just go to the doc, but don't know where you are at or your situation. I just did a quick google search on your behalf, and they mention potassium, pregnancy (of course), and a whole slew of things that are not really important.. But better safe than sorry!
#5 Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post

Lately I've been having a strange craving for pickles. I've been eating them all the time. Is there something in them that I might be deficient in (like a common thing a vegetarian might be lacking) and I'm craving them to make up for that deficiency?

Oh, and I'm sure somebody will ask, but I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant.

I've been wanting pickled things all week... I'm not lacking anything that I am aware of, Nothing that would cause that type of craving. Yeah. I'm not pregnant either.

Maybe it's just psychological? I don't know a ton about psychology but I know that it makes a lot more sense that you just want a pickle than it does that you're lacking in vitamins and that's the only symptom you're noticing. The minds are weird things... I survived off of pumpkin pie mix/pumpkin butter and jelly sandwiches for two weeks before the weird cravings for them went away. I hate the idea of them now, Maybe the same thing is happening to you with the pickles.
#6 Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

Maybe it's just psychological? ...you just want a pickle

Um, not to get all Freudian but... ?
#7 Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Beginner

LOL @ waiki!

grnrunner...

pickles have potassium???

anyway, to the OP... sometimes, esp around this time of year, when we can start eating fresher foods, i tend to have cravings for tangy things like italien dressing, dill and garlic pickles, lemon stuff... i feel like its a way of cleansing my palate for all the tasty fruits and vegs coming my way!!
#8 Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

LOL @ waiki!

grnrunner...

pickles have potassium???

I don't think so, but when your body craves salty things, it is typically a sign that you really want potassium. At least, that's what I remember from university and confirmed by Dr Google
#9 Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Beginner

..it could just be that pickles are wicked awesome.

As far as I know, dill pickles are devoid of just about every nutrient sans sodium.

And this is coming short from no one short of a pickle addict.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#10 Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

I don't think so, but when your body craves salty things, it is typically a sign that you really want potassium. At least, that's what I remember from university and confirmed by Dr Google

ah, that makes sense.... the whole balance of electrolytes and all.

i currently have high potassium levels and yeah, i suddenly started eating potato chips like they were the only thing in the world left to eat. funny, b/c i never would ever sit down w/ a bag of chips before. it was crazyness.
#11 Old 04-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Beginner

i crave pickles a lot. but that's because i love them.

about the potassium thing - my levels were low about a year ago and aside from bananas, the nurse also told me to eat more tomatoes. i never checked into that, i didn't even know tomatoes had potassium.
#12 Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Beginner

yeah, potassium is all over the place. they gave me a list of foods that i should avoid b/c they were high in pot...it was sooo depressing! it really is all this healthy good stuff... potatoes *i mean, whats a life w/o potatoes?*, orange juice, papaya is a big one, dark leafy greens, whole grains, CHOCOLATE!, beans...its really crazy. (you can search for "high potassium foods" or "hyperkalemia" and you can find a list.

thankfully, i think my prob is resolving. viva la 'nanas!!
#13 Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Beginner

I've been crazy cookoo for pickles lately. Not sure why, maybe just cause its a finger food, but I'll go through a jar of bubbies pickles by myself in three or four days (just eating them plain - not on or with anything. If the lady gets involved that thing could be gone in a short weekend
#14 Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:

yeah, they gave me a list of foods that i should avoid b/c they were high in pot..

hmmm... there are foods high in pot?
#15 Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

hmmm... there are foods high in pot?

only the finest foods
#16 Old 04-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Beginner

haha TNS.
#17 Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Beginner

alll this talk of pickles.... reminds me of my great polish aunt ( i dont think shes really my "aunt") who would make batches of pickles each year. they were huge, like 16inch high glass containers of dill pickles! man, they were the best. *sigh*
#18 Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Beginner

My aunt used to do that too. She made mustard pickles a lot...I loved those things. Two of my greatest loves together in one jar...
#19 Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsteriffic View Post

My aunt used to do that too. She made mustard pickles a lot...I loved those things. Two of my greatest loves together in one jar...

recipe by chance?
#20 Old 04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:

alll this talk of pickles.... reminds me of my great polish aunt ( i dont think shes really my "aunt") who would make batches of pickles each year. they were huge, like 16inch high glass containers of dill pickles! man, they were the best. *sigh*

Wow, so like full sized cucumber pickles? My friend makes pickles that are quite large.. but she's a Hare Krishna so she doesn't put garlic in them, which is the best part of course! But they are still good.
#21 Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Beginner

me and the lady finished a litre of pickles in a few more than 24 hours
#22 Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

me and the lady finished a litre of pickles in a few more than 24 hours

I know, they're so good. I can't keep them in the house, I just retain too much water because I eat them constantly on everything. mmmm.
#23 Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Beginner

bubbie's pickles

I think these pickles are divine, and it's only water salt and spices, no vinegar I truly m an addict with these things
#24 Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Beginner

It could just be that pickles are delicious. ^_^

veganGO - http://www.vegango.com/
A forum for vegan activists.
#25 Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

recipe by chance?

I have no idea. My aunt doesn't have email or anything but next time I see her I should ask her. I would imagine there are a few recipes floating around the Internet. Hmmm...perhaps this will become my new mission come pickling season.
#26 Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Beginner

soulda looked around. I had just never heard of a mustard pickle before. I think I'll have to try this as well. I have never pickled anything though and to my knowledge have never seen an organic pickling cucumber...anyone got ideas on this?
#27 Old 04-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Trey... farmers markets have organic pickling cucumbers in the later summer. Depending on where you live, I guess....
#28 Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Beginner

Maybe you crave them because of high fructose corn syrup?

Most major brands have it... I've never seen one without hfcs, but I'm sure they are out there...
#29 Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Bells - there are brands without HFCS. I bought the generic grocery store brand. But at least it didn't have HFCS! Though it did have yellow coloring added... Yuck.

I think my craving is getting dangerous (at least for those around me). I ate 1 1/2 jars of pickles in a little more than 24 hours, and then yesterday I was sweating out the vinegar! I smelled awful all day. And my thumb turned yellow from handling them. I think I'm going to take a break now...
#30 Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Beginner

I LOVE pickles!! I eat AT LEAST one a day!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page