Mayocoba bean recipe?... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2008, 05:02 PM

Hello! I am in need of a recipe that includes mainly or at least partly mayocoba beans (it's like, a white bean). I soaked a bag's worth (now I've got about 30 ounces worth of beans) overnight and they're quite ready to be cooked and used, but then I realized that the soup recipe I was going to use them for calls for lots of onions, which we are quite fresh out of.

I've searched Yahoo! and haven't really come up with anything aside from descriptions of the bean, so if any of you happen to know of a good mayocoba bean recipe, that would be just dandy. Of course, it doesn't HAVE to be specifically for the mayocoba, but if it's a good substitute for another...

On another note, how does one (can you?) store beans that have been soaked, but not cooked? So many times I feel I have been pressed to use the beans I'd forgotten I'd been soaking, and it would be really nice if I could store them away for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM

http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-t...ocoba-bean.asp this one has a list of recipes.

Are you vegan? Vegetarian? That would help us help you.

Recipezaar is great cus you can get them to exclude certain ingredients.

I'd suggest cooking them all till just edible (but not really soft and mushy yet), cooling them and freezing them. My mom likes to make beans in huge batches--we fill the entire pressure cooker (we've got a BIG pressure cooker) we usually end up freezing about 6 to 8 cups of cooked beans in two cup portions. Like this they're ready to defrost and use in recipes the way you would use canned beans.
#3 Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 PM

Thanks Earthly! That'll help a lot. Although I have no idea how a pressure cooker works. My mom was of the opinion that beans didn't freeze too well, but perhaps they do when cooked less?

I'm vegan, but of course any recipe with milk you can just use soymilk....
#4 Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Just boil them then, pressure cookers just make the job go faster. I have had NO problem freezing beans--cooked rare, medium, or well done. Give it a go--since you have a bajillion beans to get rid of anyway... there's the beans 101 thread, that should have some good info in it.
#5 Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 AM

I freeze cooked beans all the time. The freeze and defrost excellent. You can also freeze the soaked beans before cooking them.
#6 Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM

A classic bean from Peru, the Mayacoba is also known as Canario or Peruano. It's a small but meaty thin-skinned bean that will take on all the flavors you can throw at it but still hold its shape. Great as a substitute for Canellini or great Northern beans but unique in its own right.

Suggestions: Pot beans, chiles, salads, stews

Drunk Peruano

Ingredients

8 ounces dried peruano beans

2 ounces salt pork, in largish chunks

4 slices bacon, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces

2 serranos (stemmed, seeded, and chopped) or 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed, seeded, and chopped)

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

salt pepper

2 tablespoons tequila

1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more)

Ingredients

8 ounces dried peruano beans

2 ounces salt pork, in largish chunks

4 slices bacon, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces

2 serranos (stemmed, seeded, and chopped) or 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed, seeded, and chopped)

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

salt

pepper

2 tablespoons tequila

1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more)

Directions

Rinse the beans thoroughly and bring to a boil along with the salt pork in generously salted water. Simmer until done. rain, reserving 1 cup of the water and remove salt pork.

In the meantime, saute the bacon until done but not crispy. Drain and set aside.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and saute the onion and chilies until soft. Add the garlic and saute until the raw garlic smell is gone. Add the beans to the onion mixture with the reserved bacon. Add some of the reserved bean cooking liquid to get the desired texture (just loose but not soupy). Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.

Just before serving, add the tequila and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Add the cilantro, stir and serve.

hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page