Red vs. Green Bell Peppers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
kya
Beginner

It seems like red bell peppers always cost at least twice as much as green bell peppers. Anyone know why? More importantly, is there any flavor/nutritional reason to use the red instead of the green?

(In case anyone is wondering, I have a recipe for a roasted red pepper sauce and it calls for four or five peppers. I'm thinking of substituting four green peppers with just one red for color.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Beginner

The green aren't ripe and the red are.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Beginner

personally i think the taste is quite different. and if you're making a sauce out of them (i.e. really using them to make a certain flavor), i wouldn't make the substitution. but that's just me.
#4 Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Beginner

I think there's a cost difference because red peppers, because they are riper than green, are more delicate and therefore more difficult to transport. Also, because the red peppers are from a second or third picking, the yield is lower.

Although I like both, I think red are much tastier. Red peppers are also more nutritious, containing more vitamin C and other nutrients.
#5 Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Beginner

I agree that the red are tastier. Don't get me wrong, I like the green ones (and the orange and yellow ones) but I think red are the best-tasting.
#6 Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Yeah, what about the poor yellow and orange ones.

Personally I can't tell the difference taste-wise, it's just whichever colour looks better in the sauce I'm using lol.

Red are more nutritious because they're ripe.
#7 Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I agree that the red are tastier. Don't get me wrong, I like the green ones (and the orange and yellow ones) but I think red are the best-tasting.

I definately agree!

I eat peppers like theyre apples

Except the green ones, theyre OK in things but by themself they have a weird texture

my mum bought purple peppers before!!!

i was amazed

it tasted kinda like a green one though, boring!

nothing will ever be as good as the purple carrots though. why does nowhere sell them =(
#8 Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Purple carrots?!?? No way!

Red peppers are more expensive because they have to ripen on the vine but are actually just ripe green peppers. The taste is different. If you're making a sauce I wouldn't subsitute it. If it goes in a stir fry, or if they are chopped raw for things I do substitute. Same with yellow and orange. Red tends to be a little sweeter and the texture is slightly different.

Roasting a red pepper is much different than roasting a green one. I eat so many peppers and totally prefer the red ones.
#9 Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

i really don't like green peppers, bleurgh. red are the nicest.

i've seen purple peppers too! they were flippin expensive though. we have white ones in the shops here too... well... technically they're kinda creamy greeny coloured really, but ya know... white sounds better.

purple carrots are cool. they are the origional retro styley. http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/maroon.html

if you need purple carrots, you could always buy seeds and grow your own in a bucket- it aint technical really- i grew carrots this year for the first time ever.

purple potatoes aint bad either. they go fun colours if you put salt or lemon on them, just like red cabbage does.
#10 Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

Yeah, what about the poor yellow and orange ones.

Personally I can't tell the difference taste-wise, it's just whichever colour looks better in the sauce I'm using lol.

Red are more nutritious because they're ripe.

i prefer yellow and orange over red (which are much better than green).
#11 Old 12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Green bells will not cook into your sauce quite the same way red ones will, and there is a definite taste difference.

There are black bell peppers too, though I've never tasted them. I prefer raw green bell peppers myself and like yellow ones as well.
#12 Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Beginner

I've never seen purple or black peppers . I prefer red as well to green. They have a sweeter taste to them.
#13 Old 12-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Beginner

I've had purple peppers, but my favorites are the orange peppers.

There is a big difference in sweetness, so I'd use red peppers or skip making the sauce.
#14 Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Red Pepper Nutritional info: Click here

Green Pepper Nutritional info: Click here

Basically, they are similar but the red pepper has more vitamins when it is raw.
#15 Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Beginner

Well this explains why the really old green pepper in the back of my fridge was turning funny colors. It kind of freaked me out.

I don't like red. I won't pick it out of things like my roommate does, but I much prefer green. I'm pretty ambivalent about the other colors--I rarely have a chance to taste them.
#16 Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I think the cost probably stems from 1. how long they have to be cared for (red and other colors than green {?} have to be grown longer since they're ripe), and 2. your growing season. The growing season of your area may also limit even if red/other colors can be grown there, so the green end up more plentiful and the other colors have to be shipped in.

Well that's just my thoughts right now...

I believe everything.
#17 Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Purple carrots?!?? No way!

Yes way! Purple carrots. oh, and more purple carrots here too...
#18 Old 12-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Beginner

Red peppers compared to green peppers have about twice as much vit C, many many times more vit A but almost twice as high in sugar. Yellow peppers have almost as much vit C as red peppers.

My own personal taste tests, as performed by five guinea pigs, confirm that red peppers are the tastiest closely followed by yellow peppers with green peppers languishing somewhat behind. Oh and orange peppers are closely behind yellow but are preferred in moderation.

Piggies are raw veg experts, they know best
#19 Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Beginner

mmmm... peppers
#20 Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 AM
kya
Beginner

Wow, thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll stick with the red peppers for my sauce. The price difference isn't too big. considering four peppers is probably still less than a pound.

And now after reading all those replies, I'm hungry. First thing in the morning and I want to eat veggies. See what being veg and getting my eyes opened to all the yummy veg choices out there has done to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page