Fertilized Eggs at Whole Foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

We were at Whole Foods a few nights ago and the guy ahead of us in line had an egg carton that said "fertilized" on it. Why would someone buy fertilized eggs? Are they supposed to have more nutritional value? The guy looked athletic.

I'd never heard of it and it sounded really gross.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

We were at Whole Foods a few nights ago and the guy ahead of us in line had an egg carton that said "fertilized" on it. Why would someone buy fertilized eggs? Are they supposed to have more nutritional value? The guy looked athletic.

Yeah i agree its gross. and most people don't like the taste, it tastes very different i hear and the yoke is more orange and dark. My uncle hates them and so does my mom, but i have a freind who eats nothing but that type. I never would. to my knowlige their no better for you then unertlized ones. JUST YUCK!!!!
#3 Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

thats weird.

the USDA says:

Quote:
Are Fertilized Eggs More Nutritious?

No. There is no benefit in eating fertilized eggs. There is no nutritional difference in fertilized eggs and infertile eggs. Most eggs sold today are infertile; roosters are not housed with the laying hens. If the eggs are fertile and cell development is detected during the candling process, they are removed from commerce.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Eggs/index.asp

and the canadian egg marketing agency website says:

Quote:
Can I eat a fertilized egg?

Yes. Most eggs sold today are infertile because there are no roosters housed with the laying hens. But fertile eggs can be found at roadside stands or health food stores. There are no nutritional differences between fertile and infertile eggs.

If fertile eggs are not incubated, there will be no development of the embryo and no way to distinguish them from infertile eggs. If fertile eggs are properly incubated for a few days, development of the embryo should be visible when the eggs are candled, and federal regulations prohibit their use as human food.

http://www.eggs.ca/nutrition/faqs/info.asp

it looks as though in order to tell if the eggs really were fertile, they (the producer) would need to incubate them and then candle them, and then on finding them to be fertile, they'd be illegal to sell as food. so they'll have to be sold as 'a rooster was present, so some of them might be fertile, but they aint been incubated so won't have developed and so we can't tell if they actually are fertile' right?
#4 Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Probably a testosterone thing.
#5 Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM

gross ://
#6 Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM

#7 Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Probably a testosterone thing.

That's the only thing I can think of. If they're nutritionally equal I'm not sure why you'd choose fertile over infertile.

Ugh, thanks for the info. I was sure there had to have been a good reason. Appears there wasn't.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#8 Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

could also be some sort of weird ethics logic along the line of free-range.... eg: these eggs are better/happier eggs... cos at least the chickens must have a happier/more natural life if they get laid (i mean that the chickens get laid, not that the eggs get laid).
#9 Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 AM

It's sounds so funny to talk about chickens getting laid.
#10 Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 PM

another reason might be that the just just likes the tastes better. after all, some people like century old eggs
#11 Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I have recently learned of myostatin, which is naturally occuring in the human body, and blocks/slows muscle growth. I also found the following link to help explain why people are seeking fertilized eggs in relationship to myostatin inhibition.

http://poznaisebya.com/healing/healt...18-47-940.html
#12 Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM

in the philippines they eat this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

i hated having to watch people eat this.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#13 Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM

I have nothing to say but "Eww."

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#14 Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Well, they couldn't really have fertile eggs at a factory farm, so it's some assurance of that, I guess.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Maybe they mark it so if you know they're fertilized you won't buy if you consider eating the fertilized ones to be murder. I don't understand why they would even have those available at a vegan frequented business at all.
#16 Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilnut View Post

Maybe they mark it so if you know they're fertilized you won't buy if you consider eating the fertilized ones to be murder. I don't understand why they would even have those available at a vegan frequented business at all.

Whole Foods has a certain yuppieness to it. They have a whole range of meat and other omni items. The store doesn't cater only to veg*ans. They know they get a lot of customers who don't necessarily want to be veg*an, but they want to eat a little healthier and/or are concerned about hormones in their omni food and want to buy free range meat or whatever. They also tend to have more organic produce than "regular" supermarkets which is aimed at customers who want to avoid pesticides in their produce, but are still omni otherwise. I've seen plenty of WF customers in the checkout line who buy the same exact items as they would at a regular supermarket, except this stuff is supposed to be "healthier" for them. It's just the same dead animals, though. The only difference is these animals got to walk around on grass for a few weeks before being killed.

*this space not for sale*
#17 Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Yeah, but the fertilized eggs are soooo offensive.

I think even omni's would find them cruel and waaay gross!
#18 Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#19 Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM

As far as I know.. they've been eating fertilized eggs in the Philippines for a long, long time.

It's horrifying.
#20 Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM

I'm mystified. An unfertilized egg is a cell without a sperm. A fertilized egg is a cell with a sperm in it. Its not a dead animal. Its not even an aborted embryonic animal, its just an egg that has been prevented from incubating. Its not even anywhere close developmentally to all the rooster hatchlings that get killed as soon as they are sexed so people can eat eggs, so I don't get it. Is it the sperm that grosses people out?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#21 Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I'm mystified. An unfertilized egg is a cell without a sperm. A fertilized egg is a cell with a sperm in it. Its not a dead animal. Its not even an aborted embryonic animal, its just an egg that has been prevented from incubating. Its not even anywhere close developmentally to all the rooster hatchlings that get killed as soon as they are sexed so people can eat eggs, so I don't get it. Is it the sperm that grosses people out?

Does that look like sperm to you?
#22 Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Balut and fertilized eggs sold at the grocery store are different.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#23 Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordicus View Post

Does that look like sperm to you?

You can't buy those at Whole Foods, which is what the thread is about, and those are unborn chickens, not fertilized but unincubated eggs.

But thanks for the graphic photos. I'm sure they will horrify someone.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#24 Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

You can't buy those at Whole Foods, which is what the thread is about, and those are unborn chickens, not fertilized but unincubated eggs.

But thanks for the graphic photos. I'm sure they will horrify someone.

Miscommunication. I thought we were talking about balut.

Relax.
#25 Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 AM

hi :) cn i ask about the development of chick embryo?

#26 Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 AM

who's online here.. please send me a message :D thanks

#27 Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

in the philippines they eat this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

i hated having to watch people eat this.

I wish I didn't click that sad.gif

#28 Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Old thread alert.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page