Pepper seeds, poisonous? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Hi all.

Well on Friday evening i made a curry, yay. But i used a green bell pepper in it, for the first time and i left all the pepper seeds in with it.

Later that night i felt soooo ill, was boiling hot, shaking and threw up 3 times. All day Saturday i was in bed feeling awful, and today i'm much better but feel very weak (probably because i couldn't eat much yesterday!).

My dad asked if i had taken the seeds out of the pepper.. i said no, and he said.. "hmm yeah they're not good for you" lol, and my bf also tells me they are poisonous. A few people are telling me that they're not and it must have been something else though.

So i don't know, i'm pretty sure it was the seeds that did it.. anyone else done the same? lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Beginner

they are edible. Maybe you got food poisoning. I found their edibility on line here:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=50&tname=foodspice
#3 Old 10-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Beginner

I never get all the seeds out when I cook with peppers. Nothing ever happens. My highschool nurtrition teacher said they can sometimes cause heartburn but are harmless.
#4 Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Beginner

I eat them. I've always assumed they have some good nutrition in them. Dunno if that is true at all but I just usally never bother to take them out unless it will affect the texture of the dish. I use a ton of peppers though so I may just be immune
#5 Old 10-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Cheers guys, maybe i'm allergic to them or something :-( I know not to eat them now though!
#6 Old 10-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Vegan Police Officer

No harm in eating bell pepper seeds. People remove them because they're kind of bitter to the taste. I actually never bother to remove most of them.

I would bet 10 dollars that your illness had nothing to do with them.

Bell peppers are classed as fruits, actually, and not vegetables as most people think.
#7 Old 10-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Beginner

i like using hot peppers, seeds and all, in a lot of my recipes.
#8 Old 10-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Beginner

Me too, not bell peppers but spicy hot peppers like jalapenos.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#9 Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Hmm i sound silly now thinking they are poisonous lol. I'm fine with hot peppers... and i was fine before i ate, and i'd had the other ingredients lots of times before.
#10 Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Beginner

Just because you had them before doesn't mean that it couldn't of been bad or something.
#11 Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Beginner

As my husband found out, anyone can become allergic to anything, at anytime in their lives without warning. :( He found out when he ate tons of seafood on Wednesday, and then puffed up like a blowfish on Friday when he had seafood next. Went to the Doc, and he sid he became allergic to seafood!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page