The wine appreciation thread - Page 6 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#151 Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 AM

As the weather gets colder here I am rekindling my relationship once again with red wine. Never was much of a white wine drinker but went that route this Spring and Summer but Fall is here and red wine is back.

I really like shiraz and have found that the "smiley face' California shiraz is great. It's $6/$7 and is an enjoyable bottle. It's my current staple wine and friendly on the pocket book. Anyone have any other recommendations for bold/spicy wines (shiraz/syrah, grenache)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM

I've never been a big fan of wine (tends to trigger migraines), but I do like a good shiraz/syrah occasionally. Especially with dark chocolate.

Becca

#153 Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 AM

I gave up drinking alcohol a while back but I've just started drinking red again. Bad, bad, bad woman! *slaps own face* The parents of a friend of mine own a winery so unfortunately the freebies are sitting in the kitchen winking at me every night. Just saying no to free Aussie Cab Sav when one comes home from work a little stressed out is not an easy task. LOL

m8itcanw8.com

#154 Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 PM

I love Chilean Malbec (ultimate favourite) but I also love a lot of the local wines here....I'm fortunate enough to live in wine country! There is a new inexpensive one that I like by Blasted Church, it's a chardonnay I believe.
#155 Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 AM

I am astonished that in 16 pages, no one has mentioned this humble glory...

These grapes were grown from the soil which John Lennon was laid to rest and crushed by the rosy, plump feet of feather-light cherubs from the sweetest of valentine's days. The wine was fermented in the deep catacombs of the Montresor family and corked by Fortunato himself. Crimson deep like the elegant haze of a hydrogen nebular of such beauty that Carl Sagan would cry. You could describe the experience of taste to that of a polmegranate--and if there is any bitterness detected, then it is comparable to that of a lovesick Romeo. That is what cheese is for, my friends. The very scent will intoxicate the heavyweight Ivan Drago on the spot.

I will never forget the Merlot that was Charles Shaw, the very first drink I ever got smashed drunk on.

And it was only USD$2 per bottle.

Edit: Well, not everyone is a lacto-vegetarian, so not everyone has the benefit of cheese. =(

I also know that John Lennon was cremated.
#156 Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Anyone else here up for Moscato D'Asti's?

I have two favorites:

Centive and Saracco. Both are sweet with a fruity background with a touch of carbonation. Nice thing about them is that they have a low alcohol content but still maintain the full flavor because of the carbonation.

Edit: Good lord... I think am a snob... I cannot find a bottle in the house that does not have a Denominazione di origine controllata label on it... sad.
#157 Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 AM

I am a huge wine drinker and I live in the 2nd greatest area for wine besides Napa which is Northern Virginia.

I live about 5 miles from my fav winery and go diff ones almost every weekend. I support local wineries instead of buying wine from the stores. I began with sweet wines like Reislings( which is a great wine to start someone off that is just getting into wine). Then after about a year I went to dryer whites like Viogner, Pinot G, and Chardonneys.

Now I am at Red wines. I love them, but they are an acquired taste and over time you learn to love them if you don't at first. I am stuck on Meritage which is a blend of 3 grapes. It is fantastic. Some dark choc or a choc fondue would go great with this wine or any red wine.

Now I want a glass!
#158 Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessirae10 View Post

I am a huge wine drinker and I live in the 2nd greatest area for wine besides Napa which is Northern Virginia.

I live about 5 miles from my fav winery and go diff ones almost every weekend. I support local wineries instead of buying wine from the stores. I began with sweet wines like Reislings( which is a great wine to start someone off that is just getting into wine). Then after about a year I went to dryer whites like Viogner, Pinot G, and Chardonneys.

Now I am at Red wines. I love them, but they are an acquired taste and over time you learn to love them if you don't at first. I am stuck on Meritage which is a blend of 3 grapes. It is fantastic. Some dark choc or a choc fondue would go great with this wine or any red wine.

Now I want a glass!

Northern Virginia, eh? I didn't know there was a big wine producing region there... Being on the Canadian West coast, we hear a lot more about Cali obviously, Washington and Oregon wines. I love all the varietals you've mentioned (as long as the chard is unoaked). Mmm, meritage. I haven't had one for awhile. Have you started exploring Pinot Noirs yet?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#159 Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 AM

Just bought Via Vecchio Pinot Grigio white whine and I am worried its not vegan is there anyway I can find out?

I know its by a company called Bottle Green Ltd x
#160 Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbird' date='29 May 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1275149111' post='2645843 View Post

Just bought Via Vecchio Pinot Grigio white whine and I am worried its not vegan is there anyway I can find out?

I know its by a company called Bottle Green Ltd x

Try www.barnivore.com

It's a cool website that let's you know what is vegan.
#161 Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 AM

I'm going through a Riesling phase at the moment, been buying one by Corbans (Australian wine) which is made from South African grapes.

Being a white it goes with a lot of veggie dishes, especially stir fry!
#162 Old 08-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Im going through a dom phase..... hubby is about to kill me.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#163 Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM

I wish I could afford a "Dom phase"

For now I'm happy with my cheap little bottles of wine and champagne! I can't miss what I've never tried!
#164 Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

I wish I could afford a "Dom phase"

For now I'm happy with my cheap little bottles of wine and champagne! I can't miss what I've never tried!

LOL usually I drink Red Truck which is about 12$ a bottle but I LOVE Dom. LOVE it, like I crave it like people crave tacos..... I should get myself checked....

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#165 Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Red wine take me away!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#166 Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM

I recently started working at a wine store. I was absolutely in love with wine before working there but now I have a new appreciation for it. I love white wine and especially love Canadian wines like Inniskilin and Jackson Triggs. Two great local wine makers from Ontario.

#167 Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome ! What vegan wines do you recommend? smiley.gif
#168 Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Awesome ! What vegan wines do you recommend? smiley.gif

Unfortunately I don't know much about Vegan friendly wine. :(

But I did find a great list of wines available in Canada. It shows which is Vegan friendly and which isn't.

http://www.barnivore.com/wine?region=Canada

I did take a look at this list. I found that Inniskillin is Vegan friendly. They make a wonderful Riesling Gewurztraminer, Pinot Grigio and Pino Noir. I definitely recommended trying any one of these. 

The website itself is a great guide for beer, spirits, and liquor. :) Hope this helps a little bit.

#169 Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Awesome ! I love Riesling and Moscato:) also I would like to thank you for taking the time looking that information up smiley.gif
#170 Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Awesome ! I love Riesling and Moscato:) also I would like to thank you for taking the time looking that information up smiley.gif

No problem! I love looking up information. It was a great question because now I know how to answer it if customers come in and ask. I'm better informed myself. Thanks for asking that question :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page