The wine appreciation thread - Page 2 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna View Post

Are you talking about Frontera Concha Y Tora?

I LOVE this Merlot...Plus the price is not bad

That's the one! I just picked up 2 more bottles this weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

For those of you who try to eat locally, how do you balance your love of wine with trying to eat close to home? There are some small commercial vineyards near me, but I have yet to really try anything they sell. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Off topic: I still think marketing your beverage as "Amish country wine" is hilarious. Anything and everything goes with the "Amish country" adjective, it seems. Amish Country Computer Repair, Amish Country Bikini Waxes, Amish Country Adult Entertainment... I have a feeling this is much more so over Lancaster County, PA, where they have fewer actual Amish people but a lot more tourism industry.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#33 Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
DLS

Oh dang, I thought this was the Appreciate a good WHINE thread. hahaha

OK, back to the wine thing, every year when I 'clean out' my freezer, I take all the berries and mix them together and make homemade wine. So every year my wine is a little different depending on the type of berries used.

As far as a store bought wine, I like a good dry red wine best.

#34 Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 AM

Well, you know Texas is well respected for its outstanding wineries! Anyway, there actually is one little vineyard that produces a couple of fairly decent wines that we will get occasionally.
#35 Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

For those of you who try to eat locally, how do you balance your love of wine with trying to eat close to home?

I'm not one who takes too many steps to eat locally, but I do pay some attention to it. If I were more strict, living in San Jose, CA would be no problem for me. We've probably got about 100 wineries within a 25 mile radius and more like 1000 in a 100 mile radius.

If I were to live elsewhere, I'd try the local wines, but if they weren't good enough I'd probably get wines from outside of the local area.
#36 Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM

I cant' really do too much in the way of local wine either.

Alberta doesn't have any vinyards to speak of.

B.C on the other hand, does. But, I haven't found any that rock my socks.

I do buy local beer though. Alberta has some decent breweries.

That's for the Beer appreciation thread though.

T

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#37 Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp3 View Post

I had a chardonnay Thursday evening you might have liked. It was the most tropical tasting chardonnay I've ever had. The nose had notes of mango, pineapple and guava and the taste was big, lush and fruity. It was from Michaud and I think it was a 2005.

Targets selling wine might be a regional thing. Out here in California I know most of the Target stores I go to sell wine. I did notice that one of the Target stores in a more economically challenged area of San Jose did not stock wine or alcohol of any type.

The wine cubes are boxed wines in cubical boxes. They come in 750ml or 1500 ml (1.5 l) sizes. They usually run a bit more than other boxed wines, but the good ones are very good. Unfortunately I don't think they're selling that well and I doubt they'll stay on the market. Their sangria was an absolutely wonderful base for good sangria. We drank a lot of it last year, but didn't drink much this year. I think that was partially because they didn't have it in stock very long.

According to the wine makers I've talked to the problem with boxed wine is the shelf life is too short. I would definitely drink more boxed wine if there were better boxed wines and if the shelf life issue was solved.

Thanks for the info. I think I will double check Target. Maybe I missed it shopping through all the good sales. lol

Hmm the wine cubes sounds good.
#38 Old 09-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink local wines either. There's a lot of wineries nearby, I live near the Great Lakes, but unfortunately there isn't much good stuff. And they're famous for their ice wines, but those tend to be too sweet for my tastes.
#39 Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 AM

I live in Northeastern Pa and I'm a big fan of NY Wines. Bully Hill is my current favorite.
#40 Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

Thanks for the info. I think I will double check Target. Maybe I missed it shopping through all the good sales. lol

Hmm the wine cubes sounds good.

I am a dork - you'll have to shop at the missouri targets. Of course the Kansas Targets don't sell wine!
#41 Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

A wine i like on hot days is Riesling. I've had a bottle in my fridge for the last couple of weeks and it's nice. I have Eroca from Chateuae St Michelle and Dr. Loosen. Different varieties are available depending on taste (dry, half dry etc).

The oregon rieslings tend to be dry and are wonderful! I don't know if you can get Erath where you are, but they make a phenomenal dry riesling.

Their gewurtz is also excellent, but I prefer the riesling.
#42 Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I am a dork - you'll have to shop at the missouri targets. Of course the Kansas Targets don't sell wine!

lol, I did not even think of the laws the first time around. We don't have a Super Target on the MO side near me and I know Kansas does. That would explain.
#43 Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Right now I am enjoying some Veramonte 2001(?) Chardonney (sp?)

it's tasty
#44 Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a wine bar just a couple nights ago and got to try a couple different wines. I don't remember the brands to share what I did have, but it did lead me to a question. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent (and reasonably priced) Malbec. That was my first experience with it and I thought it was pretty nice.
#45 Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorkie View Post

I went to a wine bar just a couple nights ago and got to try a couple different wines. I don't remember the brands to share what I did have, but it did lead me to a question. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent (and reasonably priced) Malbec. That was my first experience with it and I thought it was pretty nice.

I love the 2005 Navarro Correas Coleccion Privada Malbec from Argentina that I had last month. It was incredibly smooth and full bodied. Dark berries, and cherry taste. The tannins were perfectly balanced and I enjoyed every sip

In the states, I believe it retails for between 8 and 14 dollars, depending on where you get it.

#46 Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, a wine thread!

I used to be very, very into wine, but I have been slacking and been drinking mostly beer for money reasons. hehe.

But, I love red --- Pinot Noir, Merlot, and Shiraz. Not so much a white fan, unless it is sparkling wine. I also love Sake --- the plum wines especially. I had one sake that came in a grenade-shaped container that you are supposed to heat and it comes out tasting like sweet tea.

I tend to go for more for cheaper wines like Kendall-Jackson and other similar brands lol...the grand reserves and the Meritage blends are yummy...but I have tried many varieties. I don't usually remember the specific names though.
#47 Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM

I had a glass of a gorgeous Alpha Zeta Pinot Grigio, and then split a bottle of Hunt's Shiraz on my friends birthday.

The white was perfect. Clear, refreshing, white pepper and apple notes. It was perfect with the cheeses we were sampling with it.

The shiraz was big, fruity, smooth... the cheapest wine on the menu, but it was a really good value. I often choose more complex wines, but I couldn't have picked a better one for my friend's palate, and I really enjoyed it as well!

#48 Old 10-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I love the 2005 Navarro Correas Coleccion Privada Malbec from Argentina that I had last month. It was incredibly smooth and full bodied. Dark berries, and cherry taste. The tannins were perfectly balanced and I enjoyed every sip

In the states, I believe it retails for between 8 and 14 dollars, depending on where you get it.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll definitely be trying it.

Oh and thanks for bumping the thread up, cause I somehow missed your relpy for three weeks.
#49 Old 10-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorkie View Post

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll definitely be trying it.

Oh and thanks for bumping the thread up, cause I somehow missed your relpy for three weeks.

Let me know how you find it?

We're just adding it to our wine menu at work. I think it will be one of those hidden gems

#50 Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM

I've never tasted a Riesling that I didn't like. It's my all-time favorite wine.

I need to get more adventurous though. So far I haven't liked ANY red wine. I've liked some blush wines, but I think that makes me tacky!

I like to use a dry Chardonnay in cooking. I swear, a bit of wine can turn any recipe from good to amazing!

www.veganspoonful.com
#51 Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflower View Post

So far I haven't liked ANY red wine. I've liked some blush wines, but I think that makes me tacky!

Can you describe the flavors or mouth feel that you don't like in the red wines you've tried? Maybe some of us could suggest some red wines you might enjoy. Another thing that you might try that makes some wine snobs shudder is putting a couple of ice cubes in your red wine.

There is nothing wrong with blush wines, there is a long tradition of the production of rose wines. I really enjoy roses during the summer when a red wine is a little too heavy, but I want something more substantial than a white wine.

I'm afraid it's white Zinfandel that gave roses a tacky reputation. They tend to be sweet and some wine drinkers look down on sweet wines and the people who enjoy them. I'm not a big fan of sweet roses and white Zinfandel in general, but I don't look down on them.

I'm actually very grateful for white Zinfandel and the people who started drinking it when it came out. Before white Zinfandel came out people were pulling out Zinfandel vines and replanted their fields with other varietals. Zinfandel is one of the few varietals where the wine gets better and better after the vines are decades old. There are now some Zinfandel vineyards in California that date back to the end of the Civil War. Old vine Zinfandel has characteristics that you just don't get from younger vines.
#52 Old 10-19-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

We're just adding it to our wine menu at work. I think it will be one of those hidden gems

Can you describe the process your restaurant uses for adding wines to the wine menu? I'd like to know more about how at least one restaurant chooses the wines on it's menu.
#53 Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Can you describe the process your restaurant uses for adding wines to the wine menu? I'd like to know more about how at least one restaurant chooses the wines on it's menu.

There are a variety of different processes. We are just printing a brand new menu with lots of new product to reflect a change in management and a change in the times.

Choosing wines is a collaborative process between the operations managers. We take into consideration which way the current market is going (ie), we added more new worlds wines to our menu, including lots of Australian product.

We also look at pricing, and availability. We want to be sure that our supplier will be able to provide the volume we need. There is nothing worse than being out of half of our wines because there was more demand than availability for those specific bottles.

The best part of this product, is, of course, tasting the wines

A more definitive process is how we choose our features wines.

For our Christmas feature, which will run from Nov 23- Feb 10, we want one sparkling, one white and two red from one supplier.

We are making the sales reps do the work for us by having them put together proposals. This a) makes it less work for us and b) takes away the risk of us choosing something they don't have enough stock of.

Whoever has the most attractive proposal, in terms of price, stock and product, wins our buisness.

#54 Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 AM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1189...?mod=sphere_ts

Quote:

Martha Stewart is unveiling a plan to sell her first line of wine, starting early next year, according to people familiar with the plan.

Dubbed Martha Stewart Vintage, the $15-a-bottle wine -- in chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon and merlot -- will be produced and distributed by closely held E.&J. Gallo Winery, of Modesto, Calif., and made from grapes grown primarily in Sonoma County, Calif., these people said. A rosé version is under consideration for future releases in the line.

#55 Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 PM

^^^^^ Double

#56 Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Thank you for the wine choosing description, it was very interesting.
#57 Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the wine choosing description, it was very interesting.

No worries. I'm happy to awnser any other questions you have

#58 Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Old vine Zinfandel has characteristics that you just don't get from younger vines.

I just discovered that there is a difference! I didn't even know about "old vine" Zinfandels until just a few weeks ago. I am one of those tacky wine drinkers who likes White Zin as well, but I'm really jazzed about the old vine wines I tried! Wow!
#59 Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 AM

My favorite old vine zin is by Renwood, in Amador county in CA.
#60 Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 AM

I had Aquinas Napa Valley Chardonnay last night. It was light and fruity, very good! I am happy to have half a bottle left to finish off tonight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page