VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   The beer appreciation thread (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/71107-beer-appreciation-thread.html)

synergy 09-19-2007 11:03 PM

The derailment of the "why do you drink" thread has inspired me to start a beer appreciation thread, and it's companion thread, the wine appreciation thread.

We talk a lot about food on the boards, but beverages like wine, beer and other kinds of liquor do not get the same attention.

I wanted to create a safe place for us to discuss these beverages, so we can share our knowledge and experiences with each other.

What have you been drinking lately? Share your tasting notes, and tips.

Do you have a regional preference?

What sort of microbrews are in your area?

How about food pairings? Beer and food parings are becoming trendier. We know beer and pizza go well. What other combos have you discovered?

IamJen 09-20-2007 04:46 AM

Does root beer count?

ottabox 09-20-2007 06:46 AM

Great. Thanks.

asp3 09-20-2007 07:26 AM

I haven't been drinking as much beer as I used to. My wife was diagnosed with Celiac disease (gluten intolerence), so she can't have most beers these days. We used to go to the local brew pubs every once in a while, but that's a thing of the past now. We have found two gluten free beers available locally (they're made with sorghum) that are a passable alternative.

My most recent beer drinking was at Burning Man. There's an emphasis on not bringing bottles to reduce the possibility of leaving broken glass on the playa, so all the beer I took for me was in cans. I got four types and was only really satisfied with one of them, that was the Boddington's Pub Ale. I also had a Double Chocolate Stout that was reasonable, but not completely satisfying. I was hoping to take Colonial Pub Pints Brown Ale, but the stores ran out before I could get any for the playa.

Generally I like amber ales for general drinking and some stouts and porters when I want a more substantial beverage. I also like wheat beers sometimes, but I have to be in the mood for them.

My most recent purchase was Kennybunkport Pumpkin Ale which I have to give a thumbs down to. I've only had one fantastic pumpkin ale and that was in a brew pub in Washington DC. It had huge pumpkin flavor and some pumpkin pie spices so it tasted amazing.

I hope to learn to brew my own beer between now and next August so I can take some home brew to Burning Man with me.

I tend to like beer with pizza, mexican food and occasionally I like it with Japanese food if I don't feel like sake.

synergy 09-20-2007 07:51 PM

Ooh, the Double Chocolate stout sounds amazing. I've had chocolate stout before and enjoyed it, although the others in my party thought it was nasty.

I have to say, the best beer I've had all summer was a Brahma. The beer itself wasn't that great, but it was the fact that I was sitting on a rooftop patio in Banff during the most amazing summer weather. I had a view of sky, mountains and a beautiful mountain town.

It was the most refreshing drink of 2007.

GhostUser 09-20-2007 11:03 PM

I don't really know much about beer. I just stick to Miller Light because it is safe. Some German beers are too strong for me.

The fun time in my life when I was under age was touring the Coors plant in Colorado. Good times. My good friends are from there and we have Coors verses Miller. lol.. That old saying of the rocky mountian water. Yeah, weak and true. I will stick to vegan Miller. Love them.

FafaFrappy 09-21-2007 05:25 AM

I tend to stick to the beers that don't come in cans

Blue Moon is, so far, my favorite easily available beer- I enjoy the wheat beers.... I do enjoy a good stout at a brewery every so often, and hefeweizen. Oh, and Irish Reds. And every once in awhile I will grab a cherry lambic.

Dirty Martini 09-21-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp3 View Post

I haven't been drinking as much beer as I used to. My wife was diagnosed with Celiac disease (gluten intolerence), so she can't have most beers these days. We used to go to the local brew pubs every once in a while, but that's a thing of the past now. We have found two gluten free beers available locally (they're made with sorghum) that are a passable alternative.

Yeah, seems there are a handful of those around now!

Young's double chocolate stout is pretty tasty.

I recommend Rogue's Chocolate Stout if you can get it in your area. They also make a Hazelnut Brown which is OUT of this world. It's amazing!! If you mix those two together, you get what they call a Snickers. And it's really good.

Mixing chocolate stout with raspberry lambic is also quite tasty. It's like dessert.

ottabox 09-21-2007 06:08 AM

I like to buy local (Vermont, NorEast) regularly. I like craft brews and lately beers featuring big hop flavors are of interest to me. My next homebrew will be a double IPA. My last homebrew was a Belgium Farmhouse Saison.

I will be encouraging the brewshop I support to stock organic extracts and ingredients.

ottabox 09-21-2007 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp3 View Post

I hope to learn to brew my own beer between now and next August so I can take some home brew to Burning Man with me.

Craigslist is a good place to look for used homebrew equipment.

For your trip to Burning Man you can rack your beer in sanitized plastic soda bottles.

Dirty Martini 09-21-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

I don't really know much about beer. I just stick to Miller Light because it is safe. Some German beers are too strong for me.

Do you mean strong in flavor or strong in ABV?

Rani 09-21-2007 06:49 AM

I'm a fan of brown ales, stouts and wheat beers. My favorite local brewery is Dogfish Head which has an awesome Chicory Stout. When that's not in season I go for their Raison D'Etre. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Dirty Martini 09-21-2007 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

I'm a fan of brown ales, stouts and wheat beers. My favorite local brewery is Dogfish Head which has an awesome Chicory Stout. When that's not in season I go for their Raison D'Etre. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

I miss Dogfish Head; I wish we could get it out here (KC). I didn't like the Chicory Stout (tho it made GREAT bread!!) but their Raison d'Etre was my favorite of theirs. We would take it to parties to turn people onto craft beer and it was a hit every time. Their Raison d'Extra is a wonderful treat.

sigh. I also miss Stone Brewing's beers. However, since moving out here, I've discovered Breckenridge, finally tried Flying Dog's stuff (their pale ale & IPA are great!!) and have tried more beers from Avery which have all been phenomenal.

Colorado has some fantastic craft breweries.

asp3 09-21-2007 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottabox View Post

Craigslist is a good place to look for used homebrew equipment.

For your trip to Burning Man you can rack your beer in sanitized plastic soda bottles.

Thank you for the suggestions. One of the guys in my wife's fire spinning groups home brews, so I'm pretty sure I can get some tips from him as well.

asp3 09-21-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I recommend Rogue's Chocolate Stout if you can get it in your area. They also make a Hazelnut Brown which is OUT of this world. It's amazing!! If you mix those two together, you get what they call a Snickers. And it's really good.

Wow, the Hazelnut Brown sounds wonderful. I'll take a look for it the next time I'm in BevMo.

GhostUser 09-22-2007 07:03 AM

I prefer Lager to Ale, some of my favorites are: Big Rock India Pale Ale, brewed in Western Canada; Alexander Keith's IPA Brewed in Eastern Canada; and Kokanee Gold.

Before I moved out East I had the opportunity to try Brewster's Blackfoot Blueberry Wheat Ale, very tasty. Identifiable but not overpowering blueberry taste, sweet and mild, almost like a lager.

I enjoy beer with Indian food, curries and the like, Cheetah, Taj Mahal and Kingfisher in particular. With Thai food, Singha is very good, heck, I'd drink it by itself.

My new favorite is Rickard's White Ale. Brewed by Molson's, apparently it resembles Hoegaarden and is like a witbier. Seved with an orange slice it tastes pretty good on a hot day. I suppose I'll have to try a Hoegaarden just to see.

Dirty Martini 09-22-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

I tend to stick to the beers that don't come in cans

Blue Moon is, so far, my favorite easily available beer- I enjoy the wheat beers.... I do enjoy a good stout at a brewery every so often, and hefeweizen. Oh, and Irish Reds. And every once in awhile I will grab a cherry lambic.

Darlin, Boddington's & Young's chocolate stout (and ESB ) are actually really good, despite coming in cans. Blue Moon is alright but probably the worst wit you can get at the store - and it's made by Coors which makes me shy away all together Try Mothership Wit or Avery's White Rascal and do a little comparison. You might prefer Blue Moon, but it's worth at least trying other beers that are a bit more true to the wit style (other than Hoegaarden, which is a poor example unless you get their Grand Cru - which they don't distribute to the US unfortunately).

Amy SF 09-22-2007 09:35 AM

Beer is good.

Beer is nice.

Lager's best <BURP>

When it's on ice.

FafaFrappy 09-22-2007 10:26 AM

Yeah, I didn't much like Hoeegarden. Just.. blue moon is always in the bars! I haven't tried as many beers as I would have liked..

I still have to try what you recommended to me, OA!

Dirty Martini 09-22-2007 01:00 PM

You must have some colorado beers available to you - Avery should be available where you're at

Jon 09-22-2007 03:22 PM

I live in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It was odd moving here from the UK because you expect to see some familiar brands, but its extremely rare. I read somewhere that up to about 1960 or something two thirds of the worlds breweries were in Bavaria. Every village had its own brewery, and the Bavarians take great pride in their beer, holding festivals (today is actually the first day of the Oktoberfest). These days the number of breweries have declined, but the choice is still huge, actually it was daunting when I first arrived. Because of the German purity law the number of ingredients is small and limited to natural things (water, malt and hops), so there's none of that nasty chemical induced side affects. The main beers here are Helles (or light beer), or Wießbier, both are available as dark (dunkles) variations. My favourite (and Munich's most popular) is Augustiner Helles. If you travel too far out of Munich, you'll get a funny look if you order a Helles. When I've been in Berlin, and looked around the supermarkets/beer shops its like a different world, there are only two I remember seeing, Löwenbräu and Erdinger, both of which are not that popular here.

Dirty Martini 09-22-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

These days the number of breweries have declined, but the choice is still huge, actually it was daunting when I first arrived. Because of the German purity law the number of ingredients is small and limited to natural things (water, malt and hops), so there's none of that nasty chemical induced side affects.

It also limits the styles that breweries can do, since they're unable to add things like coriander or juniper or fruit (during the brewing process). It's unfortunate, because a lot of the german beers are pretty similar as a result - variations relying largely on ingredients & local water from what i remember.

It's unfortunate the local breweries are dwindling, though. Every town seemed to have their own and it was always nice when going to another town to stop in their brewery & try their beer.

CHJ 09-27-2007 08:53 AM

I like beer, but i've become rather fastidious. Can't stand beer if it's too pale.

British ales <3

Libellula 09-27-2007 12:17 PM

I like Bells' Oberon Ale (it's a summer brew)

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Flying Dog (not a fan of IPA, it's very.. bitter to me?)

Rogue Chocolate Stout is good.

Oktoberfest by a local brewery here..

shannon1976 09-29-2007 11:46 AM

Hmm I made some Guiness Stew and Guiness cookies http://havecakewilltravel.com/2007/0...stout-cookies/ . I don't really drink beer tho. I do believe there are some Richmond Breweries in my location, Legand http://richmond.citysearch.com/profile/10555169

Washoe 10-01-2007 07:36 PM

[Homer Simpson]Mmmm...tequila[/Homer Simpson]. But I guess that counts as a hijack in a beer thread, right?

synergy 10-01-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

[Homer Simpson]Mmmm...tequila[/Homer Simpson]. But I guess that counts as a hijack in a beer thread, right?

Not if you put the tequila in the beer.

synergy 10-01-2007 10:50 PM

Last night I had a Corona with grenadine in it.

I've had one a few years back too. It's... interesting. Pretty color, and it is quite amusing to drink pink beer, but, definitely not my favorite.

Dirty Martini 10-02-2007 05:30 AM

We made Michelada the other day. It was... interesting.

http://www.drinksmix.net/la_michelada.htm

Quote:

La Michelada

The Michelada is a refreshing summer twist on the standard Bloody Mary. Try it with a light Mexican Beer. You can't go wrong with the Michelada!

4 drops of Tabasco Sauce

1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Dashes of Salt and Ground Pepper

Juice of 1 Lime wedge

1 Bottle of Beer, preferably a Negro Modelo

Combine above ingredients in a glass and pour beer to top. Serve with wedge of lime in a salted glass.

We mixed salt & chili powder together and used that to rim the glass.

It was good, but there was too much Worcestershire I think.

synergy 10-02-2007 02:10 PM

I've only ever seen vegetarian worcestershire sauce in the HFS, but I don't want to bother buying it since I would probably only use it once or twice.

Do you think it would be good without it?

Dirty Martini 10-02-2007 05:32 PM

You could probably use a drop or two of soy sauce/tahini and it would impart that same rich/salty flavor. Or mix a scant amount of marmite with some water and drop a few drops of that in. Similar effect, I think.

Libellula 10-03-2007 07:18 AM

would pickapeppa's sauce work?

Dirty Martini 10-03-2007 07:26 AM

It would probably be too sweet, but you could try it.

synergy 10-03-2007 06:16 PM

I'll try it when I'm drunk.

I'm too scared to try that sober for some reason.

Brandon 10-03-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I'll try it when I'm drunk.

I'm too scared to try that sober for some reason.

Oh now....why are you scared? The tabasco? I've had tabasco in other beer (like Corona or something) before and it wasn't bad. Negra modelo is yummmmmmy

Brandon 10-03-2007 06:32 PM

The beer that I've been digging the most lately is either the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest or Shiner Bock Amber. I've liked all the Shiner varieties I've had but the new Amber is just .

I like Shiner Blonde for summer.

Thalia 10-03-2007 07:21 PM

Great Lakes brewery has an October Fest out right now. I really like it!

Now all I need is someone to drink it with. I don't think any of my friends like beer.

synergy 10-03-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Oh now....why are you scared? The tabasco? I've had tabasco in other beer (like Corona or something) before and it wasn't bad. Negra modelo is yummmmmmy

I'm really not a big Tabasco fan, so I'd think I'd need some liquid courage before trying it out.

I'm sure it's good, but.... there are just some things I need to work myself up to drinking.

shaved_women 10-05-2007 07:33 AM

I love Stella Artois off the tap at bars. Got in a bit of a playful argument with a neighbor from Holland over the merits of Stella vs. Heineken. I also really like Sol, Corona and PBR when I want something cheap. I'm not really a beer snob.

Brandon 10-05-2007 07:34 AM

I think Sol > Corona any day of the week. Corona's my least favorite of the Mexican beers. I'd much rather have a Tecate or a Dos Equis or a Negra Modelo.