VeggieBoards banner

The beer appreciation thread

2M views 495 replies 143 participants last post by  Luc Camisard 
#1 ·
The derailment of the "why do you drink" thread has inspired me to start a beer appreciation thread, and it's companion thread, the wine appreciation thread.

We talk a lot about food on the boards, but beverages like wine, beer and other kinds of liquor do not get the same attention.

I wanted to create a safe place for us to discuss these beverages, so we can share our knowledge and experiences with each other.

What have you been drinking lately? Share your tasting notes, and tips.

Do you have a regional preference?

What sort of microbrews are in your area?

How about food pairings? Beer and food parings are becoming trendier. We know beer and pizza go well. What other combos have you discovered?

#54 ·
I was thinking it might be interesting also for everyone to share the worst beer they ever had.

I've only had one beer that I just could not finish, and it was a recommendation from the server. It was Spaten Optimator. Dark reddish color, thick and syrupy and stroooooong. I don't know if it just wasn't chilled enough or what but I drank about two drinks of it and gave it away to a friend at the table. Was not my thing, at all.

What's the worst beer you ever had?

#57 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I've only had one beer that I just could not finish, and it was a recommendation from the server. It was Spaten Optimator. Dark reddish color, thick and syrupy and stroooooong. I don't know if it just wasn't chilled enough or what but I drank about two drinks of it and gave it away to a friend at the table. Was not my thing, at all.

What's the worst beer you ever had?

Optimator tastes pretty good to me. But then, I like doppelbocks.

If I don't count MGD or Miller Lite or any of the macro adjunct lagers, I'd have to say 't Smisje Blond

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/322/26208/

It was HORRIBLE. I dumped it out.

#59 ·
my bf said he didn't like boddington's, but i would like to try it, just to see

i had a belgian beer, Nostradamus, that was good, but too richly flavored for me - it tasted dark, nutty, and heavy. I do reccommend it to others because it wasn't BAD per se, but not for me.

#60 ·
I've emailed Cains (my local brewery!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!) this evening to find out which of their beers are vegan....I am intending on compiling a list of vegan real ale (in the UK obviously!)...as I cannot for the life of me find one online...it'll take me a while though as I'm a busy thing!

My absolute fave beer...Wobbly Bob (8% abv) but it's gorgeous....far too drinkable...

I also love the Badger beers (yes partly for the name!)...especially Champion which is very summery and fruity.

We're blessed in Liverpool as not only do we have Cains, but we have a Real Ale festival every year and we have two microbreweries which are both underneath Real Ale pubs!

Clarexxx

#61 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

my bf said he didn't like boddington's, but i would like to try it, just to see

i had a belgian beer, Nostradamus, that was good, but too richly flavored for me - it tasted dark, nutty, and heavy. I do reccommend it to others because it wasn't BAD per se, but not for me.
L - if you are interested in Belgian styles but like the lighter ones, one of my absolute favorites is Delirium Tremens. So delicious. Very closely followed by La Fin Du Monde, out of (IMO) Canada's best brewery (Unibroue). OH! and Unibroue has wit that I absolutely love - Blanche de Chambly.

#71 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hag View Post

A couple of my personal favorites are: Rickards Red, Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale, Sleemans. All of these are canadian beers so i dout to many people here have had these.
I've had all of these many, many times. It may help that I'm Canadian

They are good choices. There is a new Rickards White that I would like to try.

Do you know which kind of Sleeman's you've had?

#74 ·
I would like to try the Rickard's white.

I actually like fruity beers, which is weird, because I hate most fruity drinks (too sweet).

Two of my favorites are Alberta beers. One is from Calgary; Wildrose Wraspberry Ale,

The other is from an Edmonton Brewery; AlleyKat Aprikat Beer Cooler.

Both of them are great summer brews

#75 ·
In related news...

Quote:
SABMiller PLC and Molson Coors Brewing Co. said they plan to combine their U.S. operations, creating a juggernaut that could threaten the decades-long dominance of Anheuser-Busch Cos. in the American beer industry.

The joint venture, to be called MillerCoors, would have annual revenue of about $6.6 billion and yield about $500 million in annual cost savings. The combination would bring together Miller Brewing Co., the second-largest U.S. brewer by sales with about 20% market share and Coors Brewing co., the No. 3 player with about 11% market share. Anheuser-Busch controls nearly half the U.S. beer market.

The move comes as the beer giants wrestle with slower growth amid shifting consumer tastes. The mass-market brewers have been losing market share to wine and spirits companies, as well as small-batch "craft" brewers.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1191..._us_whats_news (need subscription)

#76 ·
If anyone here is from the Midwest, or Wisconsin in general, my favorite beers come from New Glarus Brewing Company. Their most famous, Spotted Cow is a farmhouse ale with an award winning and very distinct taste. Easily a favorite amongst fellow Wisconians. Also, my favorite beer from New Glarus is their IPA. It is ranked one of the top IPAs in the nation. For all you IPA fans out there, this is a must taste. It is simply fantastic! Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.