The beer appreciation thread - Page 3 - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#61 Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

my bf said he didn't like boddington's, but i would like to try it, just to see

i had a belgian beer, Nostradamus, that was good, but too richly flavored for me - it tasted dark, nutty, and heavy. I do reccommend it to others because it wasn't BAD per se, but not for me.

L - if you are interested in Belgian styles but like the lighter ones, one of my absolute favorites is Delirium Tremens. So delicious. Very closely followed by La Fin Du Monde, out of (IMO) Canada's best brewery (Unibroue). OH! and Unibroue has wit that I absolutely love - Blanche de Chambly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-07-2007, 12:30 PM

ooh, thanks Amy!! i'm always hunting for good beers. I'm a little tired of the one we have at the apartment right now..

oh - i don't like Lambics. the worst kind of any beverage i have ever had was Three Philosophers Lambic. Ew.
#63 Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM

lol - well none of those are lambics so you should be set.

#64 Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 PM

lol, i figured, i was just throwing it out there. I know FaFa likes them? right?

but i like beer. i will choose beer every once in a while, but not regularly

i need to buy more..
#65 Old 10-07-2007, 01:56 PM

Yes, I do! <3
#66 Old 10-07-2007, 01:57 PM

<--- Went to an Oktoberfest celebration last night.

#67 Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 PM

I didn't know this, but I do like New Castle. I didn't know. *shrug* I was made to try it the other night, and it was yummy!
#68 Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM

newcastle is good
#69 Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Hag
Beginner

A couple of my personal favorites are: Rickards Red, Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale, Sleemans. All of these are canadian beers so i dout to many people here have had these.
#70 Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM

I've had RR and Sleemans... still much prefer Unibroue. I've never had Phillips but I've only read good things about it. Have you had it?

<< best friend lives in BC
#71 Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hag View Post

A couple of my personal favorites are: Rickards Red, Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale, Sleemans. All of these are canadian beers so i dout to many people here have had these.

I've had all of these many, many times. It may help that I'm Canadian

They are good choices. There is a new Rickards White that I would like to try.

Do you know which kind of Sleeman's you've had?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#72 Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Hag
Beginner

I've had the sleemans honey brown a while ago, rickards white isn't too appealing to me It has correander and citrus in it and seems to fruity to be beer IMO
#73 Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM

sounds like they've jumped on the witbier bandwagon.
#74 Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM

I would like to try the Rickard's white.

I actually like fruity beers, which is weird, because I hate most fruity drinks (too sweet).

Two of my favorites are Alberta beers. One is from Calgary; Wildrose Wraspberry Ale,

The other is from an Edmonton Brewery; AlleyKat Aprikat Beer Cooler.

Both of them are great summer brews

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#75 Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

In related news...

Quote:
SABMiller PLC and Molson Coors Brewing Co. said they plan to combine their U.S. operations, creating a juggernaut that could threaten the decades-long dominance of Anheuser-Busch Cos. in the American beer industry.

The joint venture, to be called MillerCoors, would have annual revenue of about $6.6 billion and yield about $500 million in annual cost savings. The combination would bring together Miller Brewing Co., the second-largest U.S. brewer by sales with about 20% market share and Coors Brewing co., the No. 3 player with about 11% market share. Anheuser-Busch controls nearly half the U.S. beer market.

The move comes as the beer giants wrestle with slower growth amid shifting consumer tastes. The mass-market brewers have been losing market share to wine and spirits companies, as well as small-batch "craft" brewers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1191..._us_whats_news (need subscription)
#76 Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM

If anyone here is from the Midwest, or Wisconsin in general, my favorite beers come from New Glarus Brewing Company. Their most famous, Spotted Cow is a farmhouse ale with an award winning and very distinct taste. Easily a favorite amongst fellow Wisconians. Also, my favorite beer from New Glarus is their IPA. It is ranked one of the top IPAs in the nation. For all you IPA fans out there, this is a must taste. It is simply fantastic! Cheers!
#77 Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM

I don't think I've seen their brews here in KC, but I'll keep an eye out. I checked out their website - they seem to have some pretty good beers. The Fat Squirrel sounds interesting. They've won a bunch of awards as well, which is promising.

It's always fun to check out your local brews & find ones you like and want to support. I'm found one out here that I really enjoy (Flying Monkey - doubt you get it there), and there are several from the KS/MO area that are very good. cheers!
#78 Old 10-14-2007, 08:15 PM

I've been looking for Flying Monkey here in OK and so far I've not found it. There's one other liquor store I can check here in town. I need to get over there anyway sometime, they have a lot bigger selection and lower prices than the one near to my apartment.
#79 Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Sam Adams is the only beer I really like. I like the cherry wheat and the octoberfest.
#80 Old 10-14-2007, 08:20 PM

The Octoberfest is by far the best Sam Adams variety I've ever had. I like many of them but the Octoberfest is just really, really tasty.
#81 Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you ever try this one beer called Strawberry Blonde? I have been wanting to try it, it sounds rad.
#82 Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 PM

No, do you know who makes it?
#83 Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Did you ever try this one beer called Strawberry Blonde? I have been wanting to try it, it sounds rad.

I think it's Pete's Strawberry Blonde.
#84 Old 10-15-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Sam Adams is the only beer I really like. I like the cherry wheat and the octoberfest.

then you need to try other beers.

Sam Adams is okay, but there are others out there that IMO are better. If you like the cherry wheat, you might like some fruit lambics like Lindemans Kriek. You might also like witbiers (like St Bernardus' Wit or Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly) or a real hefeweizen (like Paulaner or Weihenstephaner).

Expand your horizons! And just remember - the risk of trying a different beer is the loss of a couple of bucks. No big deal, and you might end up finding something you really, really enjoy.
#85 Old 10-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Yup, I agree. Beer's one of those things that when it's good it's really really good and even when it's bad it's still good. (well, most of the time )
#86 Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 AM

BTW, here's a list of beer by style:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style

This is a pretty good way to pick a style you think you like, then look at the ratings that the beers in the list have. Note down a few names & head off to the liquor store. If a style is unfamiliar to you, you can click on the style and get a description of it. There's also a link on the style's page to "top beers of this style".
#87 Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I was thinking it might be interesting also for everyone to share the worst beer they ever had.

What's the worst beer you ever had?

Well, besides the obvious choices like Coors light or Budweiser......it'd have to be St. Pauli Girl.
#88 Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 AM

Ew, I forgot about St. Pauli Girl. I don't like it either.
#89 Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I've been looking for Flying Monkey here in OK and so far I've not found it. There's one other liquor store I can check here in town. I need to get over there anyway sometime, they have a lot bigger selection and lower prices than the one near to my apartment.

Ah, OK, I can finally show some cred in this thread.....I love Flying Monkey. I had a few of those down for my friend Mary's 21st in Philadelphia. Haven't seen them in NYC tho.
#90 Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 AM

If you like it, you might really like Flying Dog (I know, I like flying stuff). They have a pale ale ("doggie style") and a very good IPA (Snake Dog). They're nicely hopped (36 & 48 IBUs, respectively) with a decent amount of hop. I quite like them.

We're going to Portland for T'giving and I can't wait to get my hands on some of the beers we can't get out here. Stone & Dogfish Head of course, but local beers as well - Terminal Gravity & Ninkasi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page