VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   The beer appreciation thread (http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/71107-beer-appreciation-thread.html)

Dirty Martini 10-02-2007 05:32 PM

You could probably use a drop or two of soy sauce/tahini and it would impart that same rich/salty flavor. Or mix a scant amount of marmite with some water and drop a few drops of that in. Similar effect, I think.

Libellula 10-03-2007 07:18 AM

would pickapeppa's sauce work?

Dirty Martini 10-03-2007 07:26 AM

It would probably be too sweet, but you could try it.

synergy 10-03-2007 06:16 PM

I'll try it when I'm drunk.

I'm too scared to try that sober for some reason.

Brandon 10-03-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I'll try it when I'm drunk.

I'm too scared to try that sober for some reason.

Oh now....why are you scared? The tabasco? I've had tabasco in other beer (like Corona or something) before and it wasn't bad. Negra modelo is yummmmmmy

Brandon 10-03-2007 06:32 PM

The beer that I've been digging the most lately is either the Samuel Adams Oktoberfest or Shiner Bock Amber. I've liked all the Shiner varieties I've had but the new Amber is just .

I like Shiner Blonde for summer.

Thalia 10-03-2007 07:21 PM

Great Lakes brewery has an October Fest out right now. I really like it!

Now all I need is someone to drink it with. I don't think any of my friends like beer.

synergy 10-03-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Oh now....why are you scared? The tabasco? I've had tabasco in other beer (like Corona or something) before and it wasn't bad. Negra modelo is yummmmmmy

I'm really not a big Tabasco fan, so I'd think I'd need some liquid courage before trying it out.

I'm sure it's good, but.... there are just some things I need to work myself up to drinking.

shaved_women 10-05-2007 07:33 AM

I love Stella Artois off the tap at bars. Got in a bit of a playful argument with a neighbor from Holland over the merits of Stella vs. Heineken. I also really like Sol, Corona and PBR when I want something cheap. I'm not really a beer snob.

Brandon 10-05-2007 07:34 AM

I think Sol > Corona any day of the week. Corona's my least favorite of the Mexican beers. I'd much rather have a Tecate or a Dos Equis or a Negra Modelo.

Dirty Martini 10-05-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

I think Sol > Corona any day of the week. Corona's my least favorite of the Mexican beers. I'd much rather have a Tecate or a Dos Equis or a Negra Modelo.

Re Corona - I refuse to drink a beer that requires you to add a lime to mask the skunked taste & smell. (the beer is skunky because the acids in the hop oils degrade when exposed to light - which is guaranteed, due to the clear glass.)

Fall & winter are my favorite beer seasons. You get some wonderful winter ales & barleywines.

Like Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale

Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is quite tasty as well. But I'm pretty much down for any craft winter brew.

Brandon 10-05-2007 07:56 AM

Corona is definitely skunky.

I like beer year round.

GhostUser 10-05-2007 07:58 AM

Becks and Grolsch get my vote!!

Dirty Martini 10-05-2007 08:01 AM

skunky, mass-produced beer! get out of this thread!

just kidding.

Brandon 10-05-2007 08:02 AM

I find Heineken and Pilsner Urquell to be pretty skunk-tastic as well.

Dirty Martini 10-05-2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

I like beer year round.

well me too, of course! but I like the seasonal ales that come out in winter (rich, hoppy, warming, malty) more than the seasonals that come out in summer (light, spritzy, fruity, refreshing).

Probably also because I like the "sitting by the fire snuggled in a blankie with my beer" feeling more than the "sweating in my own skin trying to drink a beer just to stay cool" feeling.

Dirty Martini 10-05-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

I find Heineken and Pilsner Urquell to be pretty skunk-tastic as well.

and Stella Artois aka Belgian Bud.

Hey do you get Flying Monkey in OK? It's out of Olathe, KS and everything I've had from them has been wonderful.

Lynnbug 10-05-2007 08:10 AM

I have almost tried Negro Modelo many times--But opted for my usual beer that I always drink--Budwieser. I know, I know--nothing exotic at all. I have drank Corona but was not impressed either. That is probably why I havent tried other Mexian brands. Maybe I will since it has gotten decent reviews here.

Brandon 10-05-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

and Stella Artois aka Belgian Bud.

Hey do you get Flying Monkey in OK? It's out of Olathe, KS and everything I've had from them has been wonderful.

I will keep an eye out. We're finally getting better beers here, so I will look next time I'm at the liquor store.

Thanks for the tip!

Brandon 10-05-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnbug View Post

I have almost tried Negro Modelo many times--But opted for my usual beer that I always drink--Budwieser. I know, I know--nothing exotic at all. I have drank Corona but was not impressed either. That is probably why I havent tried other Mexian brands. Maybe I will since it has gotten decent reviews here.

Since you like Bud, I'd recommend you try the Modelo Especial first instead of the Negra Modelo.

GhostUser 10-05-2007 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=OregonAmy] and Stella Artois aka Belgian Bud.

QUOTE]

In the UK, Stella is charmingly referred to by some as 'wife beater juice'. I personally find the stuff vile!

I do like a nice real ale, but it can be sometimes hard to find which ones are vegan. I think Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout is amazing.

Dirty Martini 10-05-2007 08:57 AM

Ahhh yes your choices do dwindle if you're looking for strictly vegan beer.

have you had SS's double chocolate stout?

Brandon 10-05-2007 09:14 AM

They definitely dwindle.

I've had both of the mentioned SS beers, and they are both very tasty.

Brandon 10-05-2007 09:34 AM

I was thinking it might be interesting also for everyone to share the worst beer they ever had.

I've only had one beer that I just could not finish, and it was a recommendation from the server. It was Spaten Optimator. Dark reddish color, thick and syrupy and stroooooong. I don't know if it just wasn't chilled enough or what but I drank about two drinks of it and gave it away to a friend at the table. Was not my thing, at all.

What's the worst beer you ever had?

GhostUser 10-05-2007 09:53 AM

Never had chocolate stout, sounds crazy!

Worst beer is probably Carlsberg Special Brew - 9% stuff that tastes of pure chemicals, popular with tramps!

Lynnbug 10-05-2007 11:26 AM

Since you like Bud, I'd recommend you try the Modelo Especial first instead of the Negra Modelo.

Thanks! I will! The Negro Modelo is dark beer right? I am assuming the other is a pale beer. I might just venture out of my safety zone and do that tomorrow night!!

Dirty Martini 10-05-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

I've only had one beer that I just could not finish, and it was a recommendation from the server. It was Spaten Optimator. Dark reddish color, thick and syrupy and stroooooong. I don't know if it just wasn't chilled enough or what but I drank about two drinks of it and gave it away to a friend at the table. Was not my thing, at all.

What's the worst beer you ever had?

Optimator tastes pretty good to me. But then, I like doppelbocks.

If I don't count MGD or Miller Lite or any of the macro adjunct lagers, I'd have to say 't Smisje Blond

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/322/26208/

It was HORRIBLE. I dumped it out.

GhostUser 10-06-2007 04:42 AM

I'm still trying to find a definitive list of vegan beers in the UK. Anyone know of such a list?

Libellula 10-07-2007 10:00 AM

my bf said he didn't like boddington's, but i would like to try it, just to see

i had a belgian beer, Nostradamus, that was good, but too richly flavored for me - it tasted dark, nutty, and heavy. I do reccommend it to others because it wasn't BAD per se, but not for me.

Pinkmama 10-07-2007 10:28 AM

I've emailed Cains (my local brewery!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!) this evening to find out which of their beers are vegan....I am intending on compiling a list of vegan real ale (in the UK obviously!)...as I cannot for the life of me find one online...it'll take me a while though as I'm a busy thing!

My absolute fave beer...Wobbly Bob (8% abv) but it's gorgeous....far too drinkable...

I also love the Badger beers (yes partly for the name!)...especially Champion which is very summery and fruity.

We're blessed in Liverpool as not only do we have Cains, but we have a Real Ale festival every year and we have two microbreweries which are both underneath Real Ale pubs!

Clarexxx