replacing *white* items in recipes and GM foods? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Yeah, to not be PC..just looking to weed out things like white flour and sugar from the house. Am looking to make more items at home (going to try again)

Can I replace white flour with all whole wheat? I have used half n half before but never all.

What do I sub for the white sugar? I guess that would take out brown sugar too?

Where do you draw the line with making foods at home? Do you just make bread and pasta but buy tortillas? Do you make your own spaghetti sauce? Do you make double your meal and freeze the other half? I guess it is different for everyone, eh? I am just trying to figure out how much time is going to be feasible to do it in.

I guess it would just be nice to know I am not alone in doing this...

I've allready eliminated HFCS and am trying to get away from the processed foods (esp the ones with corn as it is so genetically modified-we allready can't have soy) Is organic the only way to not get GM foods? Budget won't allow all organic, but am trying to get as much as I can or make at home. Been reading about some connection between food allergies and GMO and want to make a change for my kids.

Thanks for answering my poorly asked questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

White whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour is a good substitute for white flour. Doesn't work for every baked good, but it's better than just regular whole wheat for most baking. I've also found spelt flour works very well for muffins and quickbreads. It's supposedly more nutritious than wheat. I just like it.

Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added back in. Fruit juice concentrates, molasses, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, and agave are probably your best natural sweetener substitutes. And stevia... though I don't know how that works in recipes.

I'd make everything from scratch if I had time. I don't. I grew up making my own spaghetti sauce because my dad wouldn't eat it from a bottle, but I don't care and if I'm making spaghetti for dinner it's because I'm being lazy!! That said, I made a big batch of tomato sauce with garden tomatoes this week and froze it.

I do sometimes make double amounts of things and freeze them (like gnocchi).

I don't know the rules with organics and non-GMO's. I've read organic products that say "ORGANIC" and "NON-GMO" so I don't know if that implies that organic is sometimes GMO?

Here's a list of foods that are most important to buy organic:

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Con...optobuyorg.htm

(And... I can't afford to do that, so I'm hoping I don't grow an extra head and that the education I'm getting now that is making me so broke pays off so I can feed my kids organics!)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM

^ not all brown sugar is white sugar sprayed with molasses. there is some types of brown sugar that are naturally like that. the company wholesome sweetners sells a couple varieties
#4 Old 09-14-2007, 10:20 AM

whole wheat flour is more dense so you might find it changes your recipes if you bake.

i usually just use unbleached flour for the base and add in some whole wheat or kamut. ie if a recipe calls for 2C flour i use 1/2 unbleached 1/2 whole wheat/kamut.

pop into a bulk food store and check out the flours, there are tons of different kinds. soy flour, rice flour, etc. ask the staff if they know much about it and see if they know the differences when it comes to baking. you just might have to adjust amounts or mix a couple of different kinds. trial and error

not sure about sugar, i'm still buying white crap myself

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 PM

I used to have a cookbook that would tell you what ratio of flours to use when replacing wheat flour, but I gave it to someone who's kids have far worse food allergies than mine.

Right now I use half and half unbleached white and whole wheat. Is that the best then?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page