Foamy and Stinky beans. Help! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Beginner

Hey there. Well, Tuesday night I placed a pound of chickpeas in some water so they could soak overnight. Wednesday came and gone, the beans are still in the pot. Then, this morning I found my beans to be covered in this white foam and had a really bad smell, like cheese or something lol. My mom said they fermented and just rinse them and they'll be fine. So I rinsed them twice and cooked them my usual recipe for beans and what not. They've been cooking for while and STILL have that yucky smell, but not as bad. So. My question is are my chickpeas ok to eat. I don't want to get sick (I have a party tomorrow!) and I'm just wondering what the heck happend to them with the foam and stuff. Any help will be much loved!

Also, sorry about the wall of text,lol. I just don't want to waste a batch of beans and I'm freaking out a little bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Beginner

I have no idea as I've never soaked chickpeas before, but if it was me I'd throw them out. *shudder*

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Beginner

I will eat most things long past their shelf date, and a little mold doesn't alarm me most times - I'm too frugal (and BROKE!!) to throw much of anything away...

BUT.........

I'd say if they really "stink" in a bad way, this is definitely one of those times you need to toss the beans out.

That said: Have you ever cooked dried chickpeas before? I have heard some people say they stink, or smell like chicken (??) when cooking, even my kids say that - but I never thought they were "stinky".

Is it a definite "sour" or "off" odor or just a strong bean-y smell? Beans naturally foam up some when cooking, but if they foam too much while soaking it usually means they've soaked too long and are starting to ferment. Some people say a little fermentation is good, because it helps them not be so "gassy" but I'm not sure there's any validity to that.

If it's warm in your kitchen you should soak in the fridge, and usually just overnight is plenty of time.
#4 Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Beginner

Yup - they totally smell like chicken. I think that's why my cat likes the cooking liquid so much!
#5 Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Tom
Beginner

C'est dommage.

I hate to waste food too, but I wouldn't eat something if I thought it might make me sick. Besides, my nose isn't that sensitive, and by the time food smells bad enough to bother me a bit, it's probably pretty rank. Sometimes I've left beans soaking longer than I intended to, but never longer than 24 hours.

Beans can be sprouted, and they take a few days- but I think they're normally kept just wet with plenty of air around them.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#6 Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Beginner

yeah, i think you probably let them soak too long. overnight soaking is plenty. i've never had my chickpeas smell badly after soaking one night.
#7 Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 AM
Beginner

Update: Yeah, I had to throw them out I taste tested a few, and they were HORRIBLE! But then the next night I made some cranberry beans and they turned out alright. Thanks for the reponses!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page