replacing mushrooms in recipes - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2007, 09:31 PM

ok so i recently got a new cookbook and my problem is that a lot of the recipes call for mushrooms. i absolutely hate mushrooms and have all of my life so i'm wondering looking for some suggestions on replacing mushrooms in these recipes.

this week i made veggie burgers and replaced the mushrooms with an equal amount of diced potato and it seemed to work fine.

so does anyone have any input on the actual function of mushrooms in a recipe? do they do anything important or should i just replace them with some other vegetable?

also what about mushroom based sauces, any suggestions on replacements in those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2007, 09:40 PM

I'm not sure what could replace mushrooms...but I think you should post the types of recipes to get good replies.
#3 Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM

What Chelsea said. Tell us more about the recipes so we can come up with suggestions for you.
#4 Old 06-16-2007, 11:15 PM

Yeah, I absolutely hate mushrooms as well. For the most part, I just skip them. But I think you should also post some of the recipes to get better answers.
#5 Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I'm not sure what could replace mushrooms...

Nothing could replace mushrooms. Nothing!
#6 Old 06-17-2007, 05:05 AM

Mushrooms have so much unique flavor, I don't know how they could be replaced. If you don't like the flavor, depending on the dish, you could probably get away with just not adding them.
#7 Old 06-17-2007, 05:43 AM

Depending on the recipe you could replace them with something "meaty" like smoked tofu (for extra flavor), seitan, tempeh, or even sun-dried tomatoes or kalamata olives.
#8 Old 06-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Mushrooms are often used as a meat replacer in recipes, since they have a similar protein structure to meat, and a deep earthy flavor. Isabelle's suggestion of smoked tofu would probably work well. Similar texture at least, and proteiny. Depending on the recipe, you could just up the amount of other veggies.

I have the problem that I love mushrooms and my bf hates them, so unless they're cut up small, I have to cook them on the side and add them back into my dinner

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 AM

The function of mushrooms in a recipe is usually taste and texture. Maybe you should choose recipes where the mushrooms are, at most, a side item. Then you could simply exclude them.
#10 Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

if you needed something relatively squishy, and a bit chewy, that soaks up flavours pretty well... i'd think that shredded/finely diced panfried eggplant/aubergine would work.
#11 Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

if you needed something relatively squishy, and a bit chewy, that soaks up flavours pretty well... i'd think that shredded/finely diced panfried eggplant/aubergine would work.

Great idea too!
#12 Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatilian View Post

this week i made veggie burgers and replaced the mushrooms with an equal amount of diced potato and it seemed to work fine.

I've never used a veggie burger recipe that called for mushrooms anyway so I'd probably just leave them out.

I find a lot of the time it doesn't make a huge difference if you just omit some ingredients and not replace it with anything.
#13 Old 06-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I've replaced mushrooms with broccoli in some recipes (a shepherd's pie, stir frys). That wouldn't work for all recipes, though.
#14 Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 AM

How many mushrooms have you tried? There are a mulitude of different species with various textures and flavors, one should not limit their exprience of edible fungi to the inferior white button variety.
#15 Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post

How many mushrooms have you tried? There are a mulitude of different species with various textures and flavors, one should not limit their exprience of edible fungi to the inferior white button variety.

I agree. And although I LOVE most mushrooms, wood ear and shiitake are still on my list of nothankyou's. I did not like mushrooms AT ALL until just about the time I went veg. Now, I can't even imagine not eating them!
#16 Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. i guess the main thing i have problems with is that most "gravy" recipes call for mushrooms, i think i'll just have to do some experimentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post

honestly, my dislike of mushrooms is mostly by choice. i'm sure i could find a way to like them if i really wanted to but i just absolutely hate how they look and feel (when i touch them and when i eat them) therefore refuse to buy or cook with them
#17 Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thanks for all the suggestions. i guess the main thing i have problems with is that most "gravy" recipes call for mushrooms, i think i'll just have to do some experimentation

The gravy recipe I use is out of the Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes cookbook. It doesn't call for mushrooms. It's actually really simple and delicious. Everyone went CRAZY for it at Thanksgiving this year! It's essentially broth (I use unchicken or unbeef usually, or vegetable is fine too), tamari, seasonings, and then cornstarch thickened.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#18 Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Have you ever tried cooked mushrooms in some sort of a sauce? Perhaps you just don't like them raw and plain, like me.
#19 Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:

honestly, my dislike of mushrooms is mostly by choice. i'm sure i could find a way to like them if i really wanted to but i just absolutely hate how they look and feel (when i touch them and when i eat them) therefore refuse to buy or cook with them

Oh, I see. Well if you could get yourself to buy them (or have someone else buy them for you), cook them in a skillet/pan with a bit of olive oil and then cover them in a delicious sauce that you already love. Then put some rice or pasta (or any grain) on top of the mushroom/sauce combo..that way you can't see the mushrooms. Then take a bite with a fork (no touching, no looking). I bet you'd love it!
#20 Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Well again there are many types of mushrooms that look extraordinarily different from one another and feel different. There are bright orange mushrooms that have the same texture as chicken etc, you would just have to fine one you like.
#21 Old 06-21-2007, 12:57 AM

I love mushrooms too. Put them in everything except cereal. Sure I'll find a way to do that too. *waits for everyone to quit gagging* No, but seriously my male roomie is deathly allergic to them, so if I'm cooking some of my stuff for him I have to make sure not to put any in or off to the side for me. I don't think there's going to be much diff in the taste.
#22 Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 AM

I asked this same question to somebody I know at work who does a lot of cooking...nothing can really replace them, but she suggested I buy baby button mushrooms in a can instead, since they are smaller and will do the same in dishes as regular mushrooms. I am not a big fan of those larger chunks...smaller 'srhooms wouldn't bother me that much...I don't really have anything to complain about how they taste...they always kind of had a neutral taste to me...but it's the texture and the squishiness of the larger ones that I don't like....I hate how they feel in my mouth. So the baby button 'shrooms do me just fine.

I guess it all depends why you hate them...if you can't stand how they taste, then these types of suggestions won't help.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page