how to use maca powder? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 PM

so i was just at a local coop and saw maca powder in the bulk setion and decided to buy some. the only problem is i dont know how to use this stuff . what are your suggestions and also, what are the health benefits of maca? ive heard its very high in calcium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

you could throw it into a smoothie- apparently its got quite a malty taste (i got mine in veggie capsules so don't know about that).

amongst other things, its supposed to have a balancing affect on hormones, be good for energy and muscle building, and be quite the erm... sexual stimulant.

its loaded with "vitamins, minerals, enzymes and all the essential amino acids. In fact, it has about 10% bioavailable calcium and about 12-14% bioavailable protein. It contains nearly 60 phytochemicals. It's an adaptogen so it "adapts" to your body's metabolism, working with your body on to repairs." ... and stuff.

there is a nice bit about it here.

i took it for a few weeks, for the energy boost and hormone balancing stuff.... and didn't notice any difference whatsoever. maybe i should have taken more, or used it for longer, or something.
#3 Old 06-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

you could throw it into a smoothie- apparently its got quite a malty taste (i got mine in veggie capsules so don't know about that).

amongst other things, its supposed to have a balancing affect on hormones, be good for energy and muscle building, and be quite the erm... sexual stimulant.

its loaded with "vitamins, minerals, enzymes and all the essential amino acids. In fact, it has about 10% bioavailable calcium and about 12-14% bioavailable protein. It contains nearly 60 phytochemicals. It's an adaptogen so it "adapts" to your body's metabolism, working with your body on to repairs." ... and stuff.

there is a nice bit about it here.

i took it for a few weeks, for the energy boost and hormone balancing stuff.... and didn't notice any difference whatsoever. maybe i should have taken more, or used it for longer, or something.

oohhhhhhhhhhhh bbbbooyyy i just put a teaspoon of this stuff in some stevia sweetened limeade and well i couldnt get it completely disvoled and had to chug it but wow for me this gave me a huge energy boost. i feel like ive drank 10 cups of coffee this stuff rocks

oh and btw your link doesnt work for me
#4 Old 06-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

ooops, sorry, too many https... fixed now. hmm... maybe i should give it another shot if its giving you a buzz! either way, i'm glad its working for you!
#5 Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 AM

Bumping for updates!
#6 Old 09-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Weird. I have never heard of anyone who got an "instant energy boost" from the stuff, I always heard it was good for balancing hormones and sustaining energy (including the sexual...uh..."benefits" mentioned above). I imagine your results were a bit psychosomatic, but interesting none-the-less.
#7 Old 09-17-2007, 01:20 AM

You can also just stir it into rice, soy or nut milk. Or orange juice.

Be careful though ... this is a very powerful foodstuff. Build yourself up to it gently (ie, a teaspoon a day for a week, working up to a tablespoon a day). I had a horrible experience with this .... too much too soon and I had a very severe detox effect (won't go into details!!!!) and was also left feeling quite odd and unwell. It had a very powerful effect on me.
#8 Old 09-17-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

(including the sexual...uh..."benefits" mentioned above). .

I definately agree with this! While I was feeling sick and unwell, hubbie was feeling decidedly otherwise (even more than usual!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page