I don't like Indian food. Will I like Ethiopian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Beginner

I've tried items such as cholay and pakora, and each time I eat them my bladder explodes. I don't if it's the spices used, but do you think Ethiopian food will have the same effect? I'd like to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Beginner

I say give every food a try. Ethiopean can be spicy too, but I do find it to be different from indian food. Really its quite different from everything else I've tried!!
#3 Old 02-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I love Ethiopian food, but then I love Indian food too. The spices used are somewhat similar at times, but different. Give it a try!
#4 Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Beginner

They are quite different. (Think of the difference between Mexican and Italian, as a kind of analogy.)

You won't know until you try; sample several different dishes.
#5 Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Beginner

I'd still give it a try, I love both but ethopian food is very distinct.
#6 Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Spices typically found in Indian curries: cumin, turmeric, coriander, ground red pepper, cloves, ginger

Spices typically found in Ethiopian berbere (spice mix): cumin, cardamom, allspice, fenugreek, ground red pepper, ginger, turmeric, paprika, cloves, cinnamon

So if the reason you don't like Indian food is because you don't like cumin, red pepper, ginger, or cloves, you may not like Ethiopian food.

But I agree, the two cuisines do taste quite different to me. Plus I love the injera (the flat bread you use to scoop up your food) in Ethiopian cuisine.
#7 Old 02-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Beginner

No one can tell you how your tastebuds will react to a food, but you should give it a try. That's the only way to know!
#8 Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Beginner

I think they are very much alike, however I think you ought to try it!
#9 Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Beginner

They seem different to me. I usually get corn and bean dishes when I eat Ethiopian. I think italian vs. mexican is a good comparison. Similar in some ways while distinctly different.
#10 Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Beginner

I've never had Ethiopian food...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Beginner

That's unfortunate! If you like spicy pulses with soft bread, you'd probably love ethiopian.
#12 Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Beginner

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 AM
kat
Beginner

You usually get the bread with various spicy bits on it. It is similar to Indian food, but worth while trying. I must find a restaurant near me that does it.
#14 Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator

If you don't like Indian I wouldn't think you'd like Ethiopian. I think they're very similar. I happen to love both.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#15 Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Beginner

I don't like Indian either - even if I ask for very unspicey it is still too spicey for me. I do like the breads though and the deserts. I have had Ethopian food before and liked it. I didn't think it was too spicey for me.
#16 Old 03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Beginner

OMG I love both too...especially the spicy flavors. However, my bladder also uhh..."explodes" as you said.
#17 Old 03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Beginner

Hahaha, it looks like the "sick" smilie is pulling the chain on the "flush" smilie and is about to go looking for the air freshener.
#18 Old 03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Beginner

The one time I had ethiopian food, I found it bland, boring, un-colorful (?), and uninspiring. I've not had it since, and have no hankering to do so.

But I love Indian food.
#19 Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

Hahaha, it looks like the "sick" smilie is pulling the chain on the "flush" smilie and is about to go looking for the air freshener.

that's great!!
#20 Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Beginner

Sally - I seriously thought you'd invented a whole new smiley!

My Mom (who cannot tolerate ANY spices at ALL) swears that Indian and Ethiopian are very similar. I can't see it so much.

Though I do think it very much on what you get and how the particular restaurant prepares it.

BTW: Not to be indelicate, but no one has really addressed the whole "exploding bladder" thing... I'm sorry, but could you be a teeny bit more specific (without totally going into every gory detail) - sorry, but I'm curious - do you pee constantly? It's painful? You have intestinal cramps-type thing? We're talking something different than gas and diarrhea, since those wouldn't be bladder related, right? (Again, SORRY, just wondering!)
#21 Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Beginner

^^^ I was curious as to that myself, TNS. Food has never made my bladder feel like it was exploding.
#22 Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Beginner

I am a south Indian. First of all, In trying Indian foods, you can't generalize all Indian foods are same. Regionally, Indian foods are totally different and spices used vary too. South Indian foods would be spicy and if you get a liking to its taste, you would not resent it. But trying them sometimes lead to bad experiences if you have not tried spices much before. Ethiopian cuisine is almost similar to south indian food, all the spices used in Ethiopian are used there as well and taste and end product is almost similar. So it depends on what Indian food you had tried and liked, that would tell you if you would be able to enjoy ethiopian food.

#23 Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jith1207 View Post

I am a south Indian. First of all, In trying Indian foods, you can't generalize all Indian foods are same. Regionally, Indian foods are totally different and spices used vary too. South Indian foods would be spicy and if you get a liking to its taste, you would not resent it. But trying them sometimes lead to bad experiences if you have not tried spices much before. Ethiopian cuisine is almost similar to south indian food, all the spices used in Ethiopian are used there as well and taste and end product is almost similar. So it depends on what Indian food you had tried and liked, that would tell you if you would be able to enjoy ethiopian food.

The spices are so intricate in Indian food, and I love it, but I just make the simplest of dishes and get the good stuff at restaurants. Do you have favorite recipes or blogs you could recommend? smiley.gif I like to cook.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page