does hummus have to stay refrigerated? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2007, 01:06 PM

probably a stupid question, but i really have no idea.

i want to bring something healthier in my lunch

and i <3 hummus

so i was hoping to bring like a sandwhich or something

would that work or would it taste disgusting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2007, 01:14 PM

I personally think a hummus sandwich would be a bit sketchy taste-wise, but that could just be me.

As to whether or not it should be refrigerated (which is an entirely different question) I'd say yes, it probably should be.
#3 Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 PM

I think it would taste fine,I bring hummus and veggie sandwiches with me and they never get yucky or mushy.I wouldn't leave the tub of hummus out though,that definitely needs refrigerated.
#4 Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM

I used a "cooler" style lunch box and an ice pack to keep my lunch cool. But I also have plenty of space on my desk at work. If you're in high school or something, that might be a bit much for you to fit in your locker.

--Fromper

#5 Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 PM

I think it would be fine for a few hours.

Am I the only one who remembers bringing bagged lunches to elementary school every day with meat and mayo and it would sit in a bin in the classroom, regardless of temperature, until lunch time when you'd eat it and survive?

NO ONE had insulated anythings when I went to school unless you brought soup in a thermos!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Refrigerate if you can, but don't stress it - it's unlikely that anything bad would happen to it at room temp between morning and lunchtime.
#7 Old 01-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think it would be fine for a few hours.

Am I the only one who remembers bringing bagged lunches to elementary school every day with meat and mayo and it would sit in a bin in the classroom, regardless of temperature, until lunch time when you'd eat it and survive?

NO ONE had insulated anythings when I went to school unless you brought soup in a thermos!

If I had a dollar for every time I SHOULD have gotten food poisoning - especially from the cow milk that had been steadily fermenting in the hot California sun (remember glass thermoses?)...
#8 Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Hummus can survive a half day without a problem.
#9 Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I personally think a hummus sandwich would be a bit sketchy taste-wise, but that could just be me.

I don't know about that... It sounds pretty good right now. Nice thick hummus in a sandwich.
#10 Old 01-29-2007, 06:24 PM

erm well i didnt mean hummus by itself...

but thank you for all the replies!
#11 Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM

My stomach lining must be made out of cast iron because I never refrigerate the food I bring to work. Sometimes if I don't eat something I bring it home and have it for dinner after it's been sitting out all day. Or I'll refrigerate it and bring it againt he next day. I know it's probably really bad to do that but so far so good.

As far as hummus goes, I've definitely left it at room temperature for a few hours and it's been fine.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#12 Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Hummus is fine sitting out for awhile. If you are going to do a hummus sandwich, I would recommend using a pita or tortilla wrap. It seems to get less soggy and taste better (at least to me) that way.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

If I had a dollar for every time I SHOULD have gotten food poisoning - especially from the cow milk that had been steadily fermenting in the hot California sun (remember glass thermoses?)...

Haha or tuna sandwiches on white bread and the bread would get all squishy??

Man I'm so glad my kids aren't going to have to eat like that in school!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page