unripe avocado problem - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Beginner

I guess there isn't much hope for this, but is there anything that can be done when you slice open an avocado and realize it's all hard and unripe inside? seems a shame to throw it out... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Put it in a processor and whirr until it's the consistency of couscous (give or take). Pulse in a clove or two of garlic, some onions, tomatoes and a bit of salt and eat it with chips or use it as a nacho topping.

I've found that if you try to put it back in the fridge, it'll stay hard and go off. If you put it on the counter to ripe, it will go off even faster. Whirring it up and using it is the only way I've found of saving an unripe avocado.

Hope that helps a bit.
#3 Old 12-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Beginner

In my experience, you can still try and put it back together and leave it on the counter, maybe wrapped in some plastic foil. In a couple of days it'll be ripe enough to eat, perhaps with some insignificant black dots along the edges. Note that success depends on using a clean and good-quality knife, since the metal in certain crap quality knives seem to react with the vegetables.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#4 Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Beginner

I've heard of some method involving lemon juice + heating... google? No experience in the matter, though. I hate avocados.
#5 Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Beginner

I think they take good unripe, although they are difficult to get peeled. Yumm.
#6 Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
gherkin

I've never tried this but I would have thought that they could be used in cooking.

#7 Old 12-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesh View Post

I think they take good unripe, although they are difficult to get peeled. Yumm.

I agree although I never peel them I just use a spoon. I sometimes prefer them to be on the unripe side.
#8 Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Beginner

If they're unripe, I can't see how using a spoon would help things. Usually, IME, unripe avocado's peels are practically cemented onto the flesh and often has to be cut away in pieces.
#9 Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Beginner

In my experience, recovery success depends on how "off" you were about ripeness. If it would be ripe in another 24 hours, wrap it tightly, put in paper bag, IN the fridge (i think it would be unsanitary to leave out after cutting.) Check 24 hours later to see if its any better. I've recovered them doing this. But if it takes more than a day in the fridge, its too long and it gets gross.

Avocados.... require skill and practice but so worth it ;-)
#10 Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Well, I have to disagree! If you put it back in the fridge, it can take ages before it ripens. As long as it is tightly wrapped, I can't see anything unsanitary in leaving it on the counter.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#11 Old 12-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Beginner

I dunno, I view it as already exposed to bacteria on its most sensitive parts - you have broken its seal! If its close to ripening, and you already cut it, I've had it ripen in the fridge in a day.
#12 Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Beginner

If they're still unripe, I've added them (in cube-form) to stir fries, or even just to rice with some soya sauce.
#13 Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fruit View Post

I guess there isn't much hope for this, but is there anything that can be done when you slice open an avocado and realize it's all hard and unripe inside? seems a shame to throw it out... thanks

Microwave it in the peel aobut a minute. After it cools you can slice it in half, the flesh will be tender and easily separate both from the skin and the seed!
#14 Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Beginner

I understand grilled avocado is quite good. The heat would probably soften it up too. You could give that a try.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42usc1983 View Post

Microwave it in the peel aobut a minute. After it cools you can slice it in half, the flesh will be tender and easily separate both from the skin and the seed!

Um, wow, weird random first post reviving an old thread like this...

Microwaving turns them black though...
#16 Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Beginner

^^^Could be, I am sure the ones I get are from California. I only tried this once though, a LONG time ago...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page