what can you use instead of canola oil? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Beginner

i have a cookie recipe calling for canola oil but i'd rather use another oil, does anyone know what one would be suitable?

also, how many 'eggs' is 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of flax seeds (that are then ground up to use in the recipe) + 1/2 cup of soya milk worth?

i'd like to replace it with silken tofu in the recipe also

any help would be appreciated

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Beginner

you can use plain old vegetable (soybean) oil.

that sounds about 1 eggs worth, to me.
#3 Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Sunflower or Safflower will work just fine, too. I don't use canola or soybean (aka vegetable oil) and prefer Safflower for things like this.

As to your egg question... actually, that's probably more like 2 eggs since when you grind up the flax, you'll end up with more flax meal volume than seeds you had to start. (Fluff factor) It's just that the liquid volume part seems high for the flax meal ratio... but maybe the rest of the recipe needs that extra liquid.

To be sure, grind up those seeds and then measure with how much meal you ended up. Now, take 1Tbsp of that meal with 3 Tbsp of liquid to equal one egg.

I HTH!
#4 Old 11-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Ditto to orapunzel's suggestion on the egg..measure it after it's meal.

Could I ask why a couple of you are not into canola oil?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 11-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Beginner

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/canola.html

I've read about canola dangers for years and have been staying away from it.

This article sums it nicely... and when I read it for the first time, I even learned some things I didn't know, previously.

HTH!
#6 Old 11-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

you can use plain old vegetable (soybean) oil.

that sounds about 1 eggs worth, to me.

Very OT: I love Catswym's avatar (that she's had forever and should keep) because it looks like the orangatan is thinking of the answer to your post.
#7 Old 11-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orapunzel View Post

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/canola.html

I've read about canola dangers for years and have been staying away from it.

This article sums it nicely... and when I read it for the first time, I even learned some things I didn't know, previously.

HTH!

I read an article from that site on ADHD a while back, which was complete and utter nonsense. I just checked one of the references in the canola article.

"In one study, higher monounsaturated fat consumption was associated with an increased risk of breast cancer"

If you read the publication, what it actually says is that higher monosaturated fat levels in erythrocyte membranes are linked to breast cancer, but they didn't monitor how much the women consumed.

"In areas where there is a selenium deficiency, use of rapeseed oil has been associated with a high incidence of fibrotic lesions of the heart, called Keshan's disease."

The abstract of the reference says

"A mouse model of coxsackievirus-induced myocarditis is being used to investigate nutritional determinants of viral virulence. This approach was suggested by research carried out in China which showed that mice fed diets composed of low selenium ingredients from a Keshan disease area suffered more extensive heart damage when infected with a coxsackie B4 virus than infected mice fed the same diet but supplemented with selenium by esophageal intubation."

So the problem is selenium deficiency in conjunction with viral infection, not rapeseed oil. Unless my search tool missed something, the paper doesn't even mention rapeseed oil.

It pays to go through the bibliography...
#8 Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Yeah. A lot of the "danger" of canola is pure hype. A simple version of the myth busting can be found in this Ask Alice! short:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2325.html

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 11-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Very OT: I love Catswym's avatar (that she's had forever and should keep) because it looks like the orangatan is thinking of the answer to your post.

aww, thanks!

re: one egg vs two: i generally use two tbps of meal per egg.
#10 Old 11-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Beginner

I use olive oil for everything!! Healthiest stuff around.
#11 Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Canola oil is a good source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential omega-3 fatty acid.

By the way, one of the authors of that piece is the president of the Weston A. Price Foundation, which makes me suspicious right away.

I have to say, though, having read the entire article now, there is a lot of truth mixed in with the misinformation, so I can see why it sounds so credible.

I will add the admonishment to not source the majority of anyone's nutrients from any one food source.
#12 Old 11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Beginner

What I could find on the 'net from places like the Dietitian's Association, AMA, etc. say that Canola oil = fine because the amount of erucic acid contained therein is so small (about 2%, 4% is the legal limit for the US). The "original" (not sure what word to use here" Rapeseed oil can prove to be dangerous, because the erucic acid level can be as high as 60%

It's proving a bit confusing for me here, as the term "canola" seems not to be used at all, only "rapeseed". So now, I'm hoping to discover what sort of rapeseed oil is actually in these bottles at our local HFS.

#13 Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Beginner

And I just was reading the latest newsletter from the OCA and in there was a comment about canola being one of the most planted GE seeds.

For that reason alone, I'll still continue to avoid it.

and as to >>" will add the admonishment to not source the majority of anyone's nutrients from any one food source."

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
#14 Old 11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Beginner

you should know that any vegetable oil you get, unless it specifies it comes from non-GMO ingredients, probably IS genetically engineered. not only that, unless you are seeking out organic, expeller- or cold-pressed oils, you are consuming an oil that is laced with pesticides and toxic chemicals used in the extraction, like hexane.

organic, cold-pressed canola oil is an excellent food source with a relatively high smoking point, important for cooking and baking. once an oil hits smoking point it converts into transfats. and nobody should be eating those voluntarily.

all that being said, if you want to avoid canola oil i would strongly suggest you go get yourself some organic coconut oil. it has the highest smoking point of any oil i've looked at, a very mild flavour and super rich mouthfeel, perfect for cookies.
#15 Old 11-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Oh..but it also has a lot of saturated fat yes?

#16 Old 11-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Beginner

yes, but the current understanding of the saturated fat from organic, raw ("virgin") coconut oil is that it is actually good for our bodies. native people living in tropical climes have been consuming large quantities of this type of coconut oil for hundreds of years and don't have the same rates of disease related to consumption of other types of saturated fats.

it appears that the problems with the coconut's saturated fat arise when it is highly refined (hydrogenated/fractionated/etc)
#17 Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Ah. I'm still seeing mixed reviews on the tropical oils. I really didn't pay much attention (except to avoid hydrogenated stuff) until a couple of months ago. My s.o. is a rapeseed oil afficionado, so I've been doing a bit more "research" into which are the most healthful.

When it was just me...I just ate what tasted the best. Heh.

#18 Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Beginner

good taste is important! as a vegan baker i have to say that! and i love the taste and texture virgin coconut oil imparts into my cooking. it has a very similar mouthfeel to what i remember butter being like. creamy and melty at just below body temperature.
#19 Old 11-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

creamy and melty at just below body temperature.

Now that sounds like a subject for a whole other thread.

#20 Old 11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Beginner

I love raw young coconut but am not always so crazy about the taste of coconut oil in my cooking. I am familiar with the more recent view of coconut oil and that is why I do have it on hand. My biggest obstacle to using it more often: My DH [dh= dear husband or d*** husband depending on you're mood ] doesn't like coconut most of the time... so even in the stuff in which I like it, I quite often still can't use it b/c DH won't eat it. (sigh)

As for avoiding the GE stuff, yep, organic, cold-pressed or expeller-pressed is always my first choice.

Oh... and coconut oil mixed with cocoa butter and a bit of olive oil or almond oil makes a GREAT skin cream... especially in the winter time when your hands dry out so bad that they crack and bleed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page