Very Important!! Does Nutritional Yeast Expire? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2006, 04:46 AM
Beginner

Please forgive my dramatic title, but I am a pregnant woman strongly craving some nutritional yeast - flavored mashed potatoes for breakfast, and I noticed yesterday that the container of red star nutritional yeast I have says " EXP 09 06". So dutifully, I went to my local co-op to buy a new one, and noticed that in the same place that my "expiration date" is stamped, there was no such date on any of the bottles at the store!! Fearful they could be even OLDER than mine, I didn't buy one. SO tell me, does it expire? Is it safe to eat? I wont yet because I'm caring right now for more than my own welfare, but if you all could let me know for sure I'd feel much better.

I suppose I'll have to go to a whole foods to look for some more!!! But I need my potatoes!! Oh the cruel paradox!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Beginner

I guess no one knows?
#3 Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

I dunno. I'd eat it. I had some from a bulk bin in my cupboard for a LONG time and I still ate it. It's up to you.
#4 Old 11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Beginner

I kept a well-sealed bag of nutritional yeast in my cupboard for over 5 years before I finally threw it out (although it still looked and smelled fine). I personally would eat it, but your situation is different from mine.
#5 Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Beginner

I've had my current store of nutritional yeast in my pantry for nearly 4 years now. I'm nearly through it all and it's been just fine.

Unless it's been exposed to high humidity (you'd notice clumping/lumps), I think you should be fine.

For more certain answer, you might call the company who makes it?
#6 Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Beginner

It's one of those products I think you could have no worries about if it wasn't more than 10 years old. That'd be one scary Coop.
#7 Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Beginner

I think it's fine to eat. I got bugs in nutritional yeast once and threw it out then, but I think they had originated in some flour not in the nutritional yeast itself. Now I keep my nutritional yeast in the freezer -- I realize I probably don't have to, but I'm kind of paranoid.
#8 Old 11-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Beginner

I actually keep mine in the fridge hoping it will last longer. I do go through it a fair amount.

Is there a way to contact the company?
#9 Old 11-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Beginner

I think I will contact the company. At the time of my desperation it was the weekend and I didn't think they'd be at the phones. I will give them a call and let you all know what they say :-)
#10 Old 11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

I bought mine where they sell it in bulk. I didn't see an expiration date on the bin.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page