VeggieBoards banner

Emergency (need to replace vegetable shortening in baking cookies)

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MoonJumper 
#1 ·
HELP! Hahaha, I am having a baking emergency. So I decide to make vegan pumpkin cookies, right? And I have ALL the ingredients out and start to mix them. Well, when I get to the vegetable shortening it had dead ants on the tope and the rest of it looked really gross. i don't know if its gone bad or if it supposed to look like that (deep cracks and random...oily/dark spots). So, what is an alternative to vegetable shortening in recipes. Can I just do without, or what?

Here is the recipe:

\t

Pumpkin Cookies

Submitted by Stone_Fox

prep time: 15 min | cooking time: 12-15 min | makes 2 doz. ? (not really sure!)

I found this cookie receipe on a non-vegan site (oh the horror!) yet it is totally veggie friendly. i made about a billion of them for a party and everyone loved them. I told them they were vegan after and they were all like "really?". Don't you just love that?

Equipment:

normal cookie sheet and favorite wooden spoon. If you're making multiple batches replacing the spoon with a standmixer will save time.

Ingredients

1/2 c. shortening

1/2 c. granulated sugar

1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1 c. 100% pure pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 c. chopped, toasted pecans

2 c. all purpose flour

1 tsp. each: baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon

pinch salt

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/8 tsp. cardamom

Directions

Mix everything together really well. Chill in refriderator for about an hour. Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchemnt paper or a non-stick mat (optional but makes removal easier). If you want them to be really pretty put the dough into a big piping bag with a huge swirl tip and pipe swirls onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar for extra yumminess and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. let rest on pan for a few minutes then transfer to cooling rack.

See less See more
#5 ·
Could you not use an all natural nut butter instead of the margarine. I mean as long as you are not allergic to nuts. I have never tried it, but now I think I will. If I do I will let you know how it turns out. And if I do not like 'em I will see if my chickens do. LOL

#7 ·
Yeah, I've heard that about coconut oil, and grr. Like, 2 days before I made my cookies we were at the store and I saw the coconut oil, but I was already buying a load of other stuff. I asked my mom if I could buy it but she said "next time, because you won't really need it soon". GRR! And then I needed it...

Anyway, the cookies, like I said, were amazing. They were sooooo soft and moist. Seriously, they only lasted like, 2 days, but they stayed moist no matter what! And i took some to school and none of the omnis suspected a thing and they all want some for Christmas, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.