Replacing soy/rice milk with water in recipes? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2006, 07:31 AM

I'm out of soymilk and was hoping to make some cookies from the VWAV cookbook but most if not all the cookie recipes call for some amount of soymilk. Also a bread recipe I make pretty often, calls for 1/2 cup soymilk combined with 1/2 water.

On one hand I figure soy/rice milk is pretty watery anyway and probably won't matter if I replace it but I didn't know if there was another reason for it being included that I'm not aware of

Just curious if any of you have just used water in place of the soy or rice milk in recipes and been successful?? Do you think it would make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2006, 11:59 AM

I definitely think it would make a difference. Perhaps not to the point of inedibility , but the cookies would likely be more crisp.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I definitely think it would make a difference. Perhaps not to the point of inedibility , but the cookies would likely be more crisp.

Thanks Jen!

I didn't really want to just 'experiment' because if they flopped I would have wasted all the ingredients, but I was talking to my DH about it on his lunchbreak earlier and with all his excitement over the thought of cookies he said "Just make them, you know I'll eat them anyway" he's kind of a vegan cookie freak! lol

But yeah I guess I'll try making them tonight sense I won't be going to the store till friday. Crispy isn't much of a bad thing anyway

Also I found a can of coconut milk hiding in the pantry I thought I could always dilute that and see how they come out.

#4 Old 08-30-2006, 01:04 PM

to the coconut milk idea, if the flavors go well together.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 08-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

to the coconut milk idea, if the flavors go well together.

Yeah they're 'Sparkled Ginger Cookies' I thought a hint of coconut flavor would only make them better
#6 Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Heart Beet

yea i would choose the coconut milk. it works really well in cooking anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page