Is there an expiration date on dried beans - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2006, 12:49 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question or has been asked before. We did the grocery shopping thing tonight. I found 2 bags of beans (white and pinto) hidden in my pantry that I forgot I had. I would say I bought them about a year ago. So I have them soaking in water now, to make um, something special with them. Bad me for not seeing them before.

I could not find an expiration on the bags and I could not find the answer to the search I did.

Think they are okay? Heck, I don't know. My mom even called me a couple weeks ago to see if I wanted some of their dried beans also. I did not take them, cuz she thinks they may be about 3 years old. Should I?

So..... Are they okay to eat? The bags has not been opened. I just get weird with stuff like this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2006, 01:13 AM

Beans don't really "expire" but when they get old they may take quite a bit longer to cook. I cooked up some white beans that I've had in a jar for over a year, and they were fine.
#3 Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I think they even found some in the pyramids of Egypt-- edible of course. In a sense, enzymes inherent to the bean catylise the growth cycle when the right environment exists. With age the ability grows less but they are good for many years. Dry beans are living. You can hear their little shrieks when you throw them in the boiling water.
#4 Old 08-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I would worry about those 'little bugs' that seem to appear in flour and stuff like that...but since the beans weren't opened, that's probably not a concern...maybe beans don't get those 'little bugs'...
#5 Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 AM

Nah.. I've never seen weavels, those lil bugs ( lil moths or lil maggot lookin things? is that what you are talkin about?) in dried beans, they are mainly found in flour and oats. I think beans have a pretty long shelf life. Even stored in the same tub as my flour that had weavels, my beans were not contaminated.
#6 Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 AM

I read in my Super Baby Food book about dried beans yesterday. The author recommends putting the beans in a bowl of water and any beans that float up to the top of the water are bad beans.
#7 Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 PM

Nope, your dry beans are good pretty much forever, as long as bugs don't get to them. That said, it's true that the longer they've laid around, the longer they will take to cook up soft.

(Can I say how much I love dry beans, especially since I'm poor? They are infinitely forgiving, nutritious, filling, varied and tasty, and amazingly easy to cook. If I had my way, every state/city/local agency that helps poor people would give everyone, at a minimum, instructions on how to use dry beans!)
#8 Old 08-01-2006, 10:49 PM

I agree with BeanLady. I've had bags of beans that were forgotten about, f-a-r back in the cubboard, and they still cooked up just fine.

(Of course that shows how often the cupboards get cleaned out around here)
#9 Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Same here... just used up some pintos that were languishing in my pantry closet for heaven knows how long!

Bean lover here, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page