Using pectin in yogurt - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Beginner

Does anyone know how to use pectin as a thickener in making homemade yogurt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Well, in terms of making dairy yogurt, Ive always added 1 teaspoon of pectin to 5 cups of yogurt and it's always gelled beautifully. It was just as thick as the commercial stuff. I simply added the pectin to the warm milk and stirred it in. But now that Im headed towards veganism, Im trying to figure out how to make soy yogurt. I tried making my first batch today and it was a complete failure. I used Pomonas Universal Pectin, and when I added it to the soy milk, it coagulated into clumps and would not dissolve no matter how much I mixed it. I had to toss the whole batch down the sink. My guess is that the low-methoxyl pectins are like cornstarch; they have to be dissolved in water first. I still have time tonight to try one more batch, so Im going to do the following: Im going to mix 1 ½ teaspoons of Pomonas in an ounce or two of boiling water, add it to a quart of soy milk, and add 1 cup of Wildwood as a starter. Ill let you know what happens.
#3 Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Beginner

Dammitit still doesnt work! As soon as the water hit the pectin it turned into a sticky, gooey mess. Google is no helpI cant find anything anywhere on this. Im this close to just saying screw it and trying agar instead.
#4 Old 07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Beginner

OKI figured it out. First I warmed up the soy milk in the microwave. Then I poured half of it in the blender. Then I put 1 teaspoon (not 1 ½ like I said before) of pectin in the blender, mixed it for awhile, and added the rest of the soy milk. Then I added 1 cup of starter, mixed it a little more, and poured it into the yogurt maker. I havent tasted it yet, but this stuff is THICK. Even the foam on top of the soy milk solidified!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page