What kind of lettuce to use for lettuce wraps - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Beginner

Lettuce wraps are my newest food find and I was wondering, what kind of lettuce makes for the best "wrap"? I tried romaine but when I rolled it up, it was too crisp and it started to tear. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Beginner

Yep! The lettuce I would suggest would be what they call Boston Bibb lettuce or Butter lettuce. I think depending on what part of the country you live in they are actually the same lettuce.

If you go shopping though, this type of lettuce it usually stored stem up in the produce department. They are a medium to light green color and are VERY round looking. Usually kind of smallish heads as well, and I've never seen it come in a bag, it's usually stored like green peppers or broccoli, just kinda laying in the baskets in the produce department.

I LOVE lettuce wraps!!!

Good luck,

Michelle
#3 Old 06-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Beginner

Thanks, I have definitely seen the kind of lettuce you are talking about! Will get some today.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#4 Old 06-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Beginner

At PF Chang's they use iceberg. Butter lettuce rolls up well because it's so soft, but it doesn't have much body for the same reason. Iceberg is a bit harder to roll but crunchier.
#5 Old 06-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Beginner

I have used every kind, depending on what I am wrapping. To make very small, bite sized bundles, I stem the romaine and use each side to create little 'packets' filled with yummy goodness I also use romaine to make raw tacos.

Savoy cabbage maked for nice raw tacos too!

Collard green leaves make really good raw wraps too. If you aren't concerned with being 100% raw, you can blanch or steam them first and they work really well!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page