When did Garbanzo Beans Become Chick Peas? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Jon

GRowing up in the UK I knew them as chick peas. My dad moved to the US and on visiting him I knew them as Garbanzo Beans. Recent posting here imply they are now known as chick peas in the US. Is this true? When did this happen? What was I doing at the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2003, 05:32 PM

garbanzo beans and chickpeas are in fact different legumes, though they are similar enough they can be used interchangably. garbanzo beans are larger and hail from the meditteranian region, and chickpeas are smaller and hail from the middle east.
#3 Old 07-20-2003, 07:09 PM

I thought that they were the same...
#4 Old 07-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Banned

they certainly taste the same to me.... they're both equally delicious.
#5 Old 07-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

They are different or the same, depending.

Marketers of one other the other often label them as one or the other with the other in parenthesis.

They are both the same species.

In the US both words are used interchangeably for either bean. I suppose in Italy they may only recognize a handful of related cultivars as being a true garbanzo.

There are literally 100's of thousands of cultivars of Cicer arietinum. From tiny quick cooking ones (15 minutes without soaking first) to gigantic long-cooking ones (1.5 to 2.5 hours, the only ones sold is US supermarkets), to every size in-between and cooking time in between. There are also purple ones, orange ones, black ones, brown ones, mottled ones, near-white ones, green-ripe ones, and kinds that will pop like popcorn.
#6 Old 07-20-2003, 09:14 PM

I never knew there was a difference either. I'm from the US and I usually call them garbonzo beans, mostly because I love the word...
#7 Old 07-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

Whoa. I neve knew there was a difference, nor such a variety of the little things! All the cans I've seen just are labeled "Garbanzos" the "Chickpeas" or "Chi-Chi Beans" in parentheses. Hmm.

Cassie
#8 Old 07-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Jon

Interesting stuff, thanks to everyone for their replies.
#9 Old 07-21-2003, 09:27 PM

I didn't know there was a difference either.

I thought they were Garbanzos if you were from California

p.s - someone needs to clue Arrowhead Mills in. I just got a few bags in mail order. The label says:

CHICKPEAS

(Garbanzos)
#10 Old 07-23-2003, 10:32 PM

But they ARE the same! Aren't they? The only difference is linguistic -- in Italian they are "Ceci" (whence "chick"-peas); Garbanzo is a Spanish word.

Or so I think. and I could be completely wrong ---
#11 Old 07-23-2003, 11:51 PM

I only ever knew them as chick peas until recently. Then I was at the store one day and could only find garbanzo beans. I always thought garbanzo beans were some other bean entirely
#12 Old 09-27-2009, 01:10 PM

I love chick peas, not so much garbanzo beans...

but they are the same thing? How wierd is that?
#13 Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 PM

oh man. so weird that you bumped this thread! i was reading the info and thought, "wow! i had no idea they were different!" and then when someone mentioned the tiny ones, i recalled a soup i once had with them and was trying to remember what they were called in that soup...and then i saw that i had posted on this thread six years ago, on my old account (vegancherrypie)! so weird, haha.
#14 Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post

I love chick peas, not so much garbanzo beans...

but they are the same thing? How wierd is that?

its not very weird at all. lots of things are known by different names in different places... flapjacks, muffins, eggplants and aubergines, courgettes and zuchinni, corriander leaf and cilantro....
#15 Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM

i think he/she actually meant, "how weird is that i like chickpeas and not garbanzo beans?"

something i don't quite understand...
#16 Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiana View Post

i think he/she actually meant, "how weird is that i like chickpeas and not garbanzo beans?"

something i don't quite understand...

yeah, i'm bewildered about how that could be anything but psychological if they are eating the same thing... maybe they're mixing chickpeas up with pigeon peas, which are a different thing.
#17 Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

They are different or the same, depending.

Marketers of one other the other often label them as one or the other with the other in parenthesis.

They are both the same species.

In the US both words are used interchangeably for either bean. I suppose in Italy they may only recognize a handful of related cultivars as being a true garbanzo.

There are literally 100's of thousands of cultivars of Cicer arietinum. From tiny quick cooking ones (15 minutes without soaking first) to gigantic long-cooking ones (1.5 to 2.5 hours, the only ones sold is US supermarkets), to every size in-between and cooking time in between. There are also purple ones, orange ones, black ones, brown ones, mottled ones, near-white ones, green-ripe ones, and kinds that will pop like popcorn.

exactly. The distinction is mostly linguistic, so obviously you'll associate whatever name you use with the particular cultivars in your region. If you took a "garbanzo" from a region that called them that and planted it where people grow chickpeas, the result would likely just be referred to as a "chickpea" that looks different. It's like comparing Jersey tomatoes to Hanover tomatoes. Taxonomically there is no distinction.
#18 Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 PM

... and don't even get me started on cici beans!!!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#19 Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM

I am a she

I didn't say that I didn't like garbanzo beans, I just meant that I like chic peas better... possibly because of the size??... I like thin French fries, and not thick ones, but they are the same thing... so maybe that is it?

Like I originally said, wierd huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page