Sprouted Barley - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2003, 06:26 AM
Beginner

Okay, this may have been covered before, I know sprouts have (but I couldn't find the thread) so a million sorries if that is so.

Anyway, could anyone tell me if you can sprout pearl barley and eat the sprouts? I'm presuming you can, but some confirmation would be nice. to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Rie
Beginner

Oatmeal will know.
#3 Old 07-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Beginner

I have eaten sprouted wheat, but have not tried sprouted barley
#4 Old 07-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Beginner

It's in the raw foods thread, but you have to dig a bit.

From sproutmaster.com:

Barley, Hulless Hulless barley is specially grown for sprouting. The hull naturally falling off during harvest give this barley the unique feature of being excellent for sprouting. Barley sprouts have a high level of enzymatic activity, producing a short 1" sprout. It can also be grown as a grass. Temperature should be at 65 - 80 F.

Barley, Pearl The excellent texture and great taste of this pearl barley will enchant your taste buds. Use this certified organic Pearl Barley as you would conventional Pearl Barley. To sprout it before use, soak 16 to 24 hours.
#5 Old 07-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Yes of course you can eat them, but it's true that you have to buy sprouting barley. Hulled or pearled barley will not sprout.

Here's a longer post about sprouting. But I'm not THE expert on it

I rinse the berries, soak them overnight. Then I just put them in a plastic container and cover it loosely. I rinse them maybe once a day and wait until they sprout. They are ready when the tails are about 1/4 of the length of the berries, or even longer (few days max). When they are ready, I refrigerate them to slow the growth.

1 cup of berries will make a LOT of sprouts, you might want to try 1/2 cup first.

You can either eat it like cooked rice, add it to salads, etc - though you mayfind it too tough to chew. You can also grind it in the food processor into a doughball (adding herbs/spices/other ingredients), form loaves or cookies and dry it to make raw cookies and breads. But there are plenty of other recipes too.

Also, if you dry and crack the sprouted berries, you will have produced, if I'm not all too mistaken, malted barley, which then you could use to make your own beer!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page