Butternut Squash & Egg Plant - What Do They Taste Like? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-21-2006, 03:22 PM

I've seen butternut squash in the supermarket. What does it taste like before I spend my money?

Also, eggplant... what's that?

(I mean, what do they taste like 'normally' when not mixed in with something else or with lots of flavourings and spices on them)

Cheers

Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 PM

Butternut squash tastes a bit like a sweet potato or a yam.

Eggplant... I'm not sure how to describe. On its own, it doesn't taste like a whole lot unless you get a bitter one in which case it tastes pretty gross. (One does not set out to get a bitter eggplant! And there are ways to avoid it)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 04-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Eggplant is spongey in texture and has a distinct taste which happens to be very mild....I can't explain it but it must be completely cooked or else it tends to taste more bitter.

Butternut squash does taste a bit like yams....it's sweet but delicate and still works in savory dishes.
#4 Old 04-21-2006, 04:36 PM

I like both and I think you should go for it!

Butternut squash tastes a little like sweet potatoes but less sweet and more squashy. lol.

Eggplant is mild and... well.... hard to descibe. Tastes like nothing else really.
#5 Old 04-21-2006, 05:33 PM

I'd say butternut squash is somewhere between sweet potato and pumpkin. Probably more similar to pumpkin. It's yummy!
#6 Old 04-21-2006, 08:15 PM

mmm butternut squash

Eggplant can be bitter but if it is you either got ahold of an old one or did not leech it properly.

Its tastes umm well not like a potato but it has the ability to take on the flavor of whatever is aorund it like potatos or tofu
#7 Old 04-21-2006, 10:34 PM

These are both great vegetables. Give them a try! Be adventurous! They won't disappoint.
#8 Old 04-22-2006, 12:07 AM

yeah, i think butternut squash is closer to the pumpkin...

both are good and very versatile...did you see the other thread about eggplant? lots of good ideas to prepare it...
#9 Old 04-22-2006, 02:51 AM

butternut squash is heavenly!

you definately must buy that some time. it's one of the most nutritious fruits/vegetables and one of the most delicious.

it is very like orange pumpkin but nicer.

its heavenly roasted in olive oil but thats not the healthiest way to eat it.

also heavenly boiled, then mashed, then briefly fried in olive oil with tomatoes.

but also good cut into slices (bread shaped slices) and grilled then eaten with salsa

or baked and then eaten as you would eat a baked potato

its my favourite veg!! even though its a fruit.
#10 Old 04-22-2006, 02:53 AM

makes great chips too. (i think Americans call them french fries - but british chips are thick and fat not thin like french fries).

I know chips are really unhealthy but if you're going to make chips, better to make them out of olive oil and butternut squash, than potatoes and vegetable oil.
#11 Old 04-22-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairidh View Post

its heavenly roasted in olive oil but thats not the healthiest way to eat it.

also heavenly boiled, then mashed, then briefly fried in olive oil with tomatoes.

but also good cut into slices (bread shaped slices) and grilled then eaten with salsa

or baked and then eaten as you would eat a baked potato.

Wow, thanks for ideas on how to cook them.

I have bought some butternut squash and red pepper soup, which I am going to try at dinner time today. The supermarket sells it whole or diced so I might buy some diced and experiment over the weekend.

Helen
#12 Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 AM

With eggplant, I usually slice it, salt the pieces and let them sit for an hour (or more) and then rinse them before cooking. The salt draws some of the bitter taste from them. But I actually don't mind it even when I don't do that.
#13 Old 04-22-2006, 03:58 PM

I had the butternut squash and red pepper soup today and that was nice.
#14 Old 04-22-2006, 03:58 PM

I had the butternut squash and red pepper soup today and that was nice.

Helen
#15 Old 04-24-2006, 01:55 AM

the only way i've ever eaten butternut squash is mashed with brown sugar. you cut it up into small squares (not the outside 'rind' or whatever it's called, it's pretty hard and tasteless), boil until soft, drain. transfer into a casserole dish, mash, mix in some margarine and brown sugar, bake (not sure the time or temp sorry) covered. near the end top with sliced almonds and continue to bake uncovered until almonds are toasted. you can leave the almonds out if you want, they're really just a garnish and to give some crunch but not necessary.

you can even buy frozen precooked butternut squash in teeny cubes. you just heat on the stove in a bit of water, drain and mash with a fork, stir in margarine and brown sugar, and voila, quicky no-mess version. not as tasty but makes a nice easy side dish in a pinch.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#16 Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I'd say butternut squash is somewhere between sweet potato and pumpkin. Probably more similar to pumpkin. It's yummy!

and the seeds can be roasted, too, just like pumpkin seeds (actually, this is true with just about any winter squash variety).

I like to nuke mine (pierced!) for about 2 minutes before cutting into it so I can roast it. It makes the flesh just soft enough to cut through without risking life and limb in the process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page