'KFC' style seasoned Tofu? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2003, 09:16 PM

Someone (I think it was Kristab) posted a recipe a while ago that was a sub for fried chicken I think... It was just seasoned-crumbed tofu. Can whoever posted it PLEASE repost I can't find it, but then again maybe I didn't look thorughly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2003, 10:45 PM

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginn...es/131672.html

kfc chicken seasoning

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginn...ges/16857.html

breast of tofu

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/77333.html

Deb's Tofu Chicken nuggets
#3 Old 07-13-2003, 10:56 PM

I'm going to try those recipes.

Keegan posted making fried tofu that had Nutritional yeast/spice coating - I tried it, and it was outstanding.
#4 Old 07-13-2003, 11:24 PM

#5 Old 07-14-2003, 02:27 PM

omg. brilliant. i've actually been wondering about this lately because i loved the seasoning on kfc chicken but obviously not the dead animal part. every time i walk buy kfc i wonder if i could copy the seasonings to use with tofu.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 07-14-2003, 09:11 PM

Ok I tried it last night and despite the fact that I cut the TOFU too thin and bought the wrong kind (firm but not the hard type) and didn't drain it properly the recipe actually worked really well.

The flour coating is the best I have ever seen - it actually STICKS to the TOFU and stays put i.e. it doens't crumble off when you turn the pieces over.

Yummy, I made heaps and put the rest of the crumbed mixture in an airtight container. I tell ya everything I eat is going to be covered in that seasoned mix.
#7 Old 07-15-2003, 12:19 AM

I am so glad it worked for you Shannon
#8 Old 07-18-2003, 11:09 AM

in manhattan on w.4th st, is a place called veggie paradise that makes the best "faux" fried chicken i've had. still, not really kfc flavored coating. i too missed that even though i have not had kfc chicken in about 15 yrs! i am gonna try the recipes here. thanks. now can someone tell me how to replicate the mashed po...
#9 Old 07-19-2003, 12:13 PM

At The Wheel of Life in Irvine, CA....they have a dish called Mandarin Chicken..or something similar sounding....and there's nothing "mandarin" about it. It actually tastes so much like KFC chicken it's a bit scary.....but oh so good...and oh so much better for you.
#10 Old 07-20-2003, 02:22 PM

My husband makes a wonderfully crispy and crunchy coating for meat analogues by dipping the "meat" into tempura batter, then dredging it into some seasoned panko bread crumbs. You could probably do it without the tempura batter, by dipping it into some egg or an egg substitute (mixing some corn starch with some water would probably work) and then the bread crumbs. Delish.
#11 Old 07-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Banned

Well, kind of on the same subject, does anyone have a recipe for a chicken-like broth powder stuff? I've looked at the grocerrey store and the health food store but there's nothing at the grocerrey store and the kind at the HFS has whey in it. What should I do, just use salt and poultry seasoning?...

Cassie
#12 Old 07-21-2003, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vegancherrypie

Well, kind of on the same subject, does anyone have a recipe for a chicken-like broth powder stuff? I've looked at the grocerrey store and the health food store but there's nothing at the grocerrey store and the kind at the HFS has whey in it. What should I do, just use salt and poultry seasoning?...

Cassie

I have always found the chicken like broth with the kosher foods in the grocery store. If you can't find it, use vegetable broth powder or boullion. There is Imagine foods, "No chicken broth" to my knowlege it's vegan. It's frighteningly chickeny!
#13 Old 07-21-2003, 05:27 PM

Kentucky Fried Creature.
#14 Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Hello all! I was excited to see this thread, but was then very disappointed to find that the links to the recipes were all dead. Can anyone please give me the recipe for making the pretend KFC coating to put on tofu, quorn etc? I would be eternally grateful!

In the distant past when I ate meat, I loved the flavour/texture of the KFC coating and I was thinking last week, "why can't I make that coating and put it on a veggie alternative?" Looks like many others have had the same thought! Just because we don't want to hurt animals, doesn't mean that our tastebuds are any different from a non-vegetarian's! The KFC coating is a perfect example of this - it's not even the meat component that tasted good!

Many many thanks for any help you can give.
#15 Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 AM

I, too, got excited over the thread title and then disappointed by the dead links.
#16 Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
PLEASE repost

I think it was MrFalafel
#17 Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned

Wasn't me but found this usign google. I haven't made it myself.

Kentucky Fried Tofu

For four servings:

1 pound firm tofu, rinsed and patted dry.

Seasoning mix:

1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast flakes (such as Red Star)

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. dried parsley

1/2 tsp. paprika

1/2 tsp. dried tarragon

1/2 tsp. dried dill

1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. dried basil

1/2 tsp. curry powder

1/4 tsp. dried mustard

1/4 tsp. ground or crumbled dried rosemary

1/4 tsp. celery seed

[of course, if you dislike any of these spices, leave it out, but the nutritional yeast is essential to the flavor]

Dredging mix:

2/3 cup milk (can be lowfat milk or soy milk)

2 tsp. lemon juice

About 2/3 cup whole wheat (or white, of you must) flour, as needed.

Plus: vegetable oil for frying.

Cut the tofu horizontally into three slabs. Wrap each slab in paper towels and press gently to extract as much moisture as possible. [What I usually do, however, is wrap it and weight it with plates, sort of they way eggplant is done]

Mix the ingredients for the seasoning together well in a wide shallow pan or bowl -- or you could put the mix in a bag. Make sure the ingedients are well combined.

Mix the milk and lemon juice together in a bowl. Put the flour into another bowl or into a bag.

Take each strip of tofu and cut it into four pieces -- nuggets, triangles, or whatever you like. Dredge each piece in the flour, either by dipping it in the bowl of flour or by shaking it in a bag of flour (if you use the bag you can do several pieces at a time). Then, working one piece at a time, dip each piece in the soured milk, and coat it thoroughly with the seasoning mix -- either by dredging it in a bowl or pan of the mix or shaking it in

a bag of the mix.

Put a layer of oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place tofu pieces in a single layer into the pan (which means it will probabluy be necessary to fry them in more than one batch). Brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other. Drain immediately on paper towels. For subsequent batches, add a bit more oil to the pan and let it heat up before putting in the tofu pieces.
#18 Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

There's this one too:

Kentucky Fried (Baked) Tofu:

2 Tbsp hot water

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 Tbsp almond butter

1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic

1/4 tsp cracked pepper

1 lb very firm tofu sliced in thickness to your liking

Salt & Pepper Kettle chips crushed

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a blender, then pour in a bowl (or just mix vigorously in a bowl if you don’t want to dirty your blender like me). Dip the tofu in the sauce and then coat it with the Salt & Pepper Kettle chips. I added a bit more water to the leftover sauce and poured it over the coated tofu pieces. Place tofu pieces on a cookie sheet and bake @ 350 F for 15 min. Flip them over and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
#19 Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Banned

^^arh brain fade on my part i think he posted a fish n chips one
#20 Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned

I used to make this but used BBQ sauce instead of the maple mustard sauce:

Chicken Friendly Tofu Nuggets with Maple Mustard Dipping Sauce

3 tbsp all-purpose flour

6 tbsp ice water

1/2 cup lightly toasted bread crumbs

1 tsp salt

dash of cayenne pepper

oil for frying

1 lb firm, fresh tofu pressed, frozen, thawed and cut into 1 inch cubes

Sauce:

1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

6 tbsp water

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

4 tsp maple syrup

1 tsp rice vinegar

1 tsp soy sauce

Method

In a small bowl, whisk the flour and water together to make a smooth batter; in a separate dish, toss the breadcrumbs with the salt and cayenne pepper.

Heat 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet or wok.

Dip each tofu cube in the batter to coat, then roll the cubes in the breadcrumb mixture. Drop the cubes into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the cubes and continue cooking until they are golden brown. Drain the cubes on paper towels and serve immediately with mustard dipping sauce (Dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of water. Place the cornstarch mixture in a small saucepan and add the remaining ingredients. Heat the sauce stirring constantly, until thickened).
#21 Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

Pretty cool to see a thread bumped from 2003
#22 Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

#23 Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

You may be thinking about my 'Fish and Chips' recipe for a mock battered fish.
#24 Old 08-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

You may be thinking about my 'Fish and Chips' recipe for a mock battered fish.

That would be it . I think its different to the one i posted , it didnt come up in search , have you got the link please .
#25 Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!

Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep- fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised how much it's like the real thing!

Ingredients:

1 block of firm fresh tofu (250 grams)

2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.

1 cup flour

1 tsp paprika

1 cup beer

oil

malt vinegar

cornflour/corn starch

Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.

Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if neccessary) to get it right.

Place enough oil into a wok or deep fryer to deep fry the tofu pieces and heat to very hot, almost smoking.

Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.

Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all is cooked.

Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar, salt & pepper and ketchup.
#26 Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned

Thanks for that , was going to make it when you first posted but never got around to it .
#27 Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Hi Mr Falafel....thanks so much for your extremely rapid repsonses to my question! I'm looking forward to cooking this very soon!

I've never heard of nutritional yeast flakes, so I hope I can find them. I'm Australian, but currently living in London. I'm sure I'll be able to find something equivalent if they're not available here.

Many thanks again for responding so quickly!
#28 Old 08-31-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post

Hi Mr Falafel....thanks so much for your extremely rapid repsonses to my question! I'm looking forward to cooking this very soon!

I've never heard of nutritional yeast flakes, so I hope I can find them. I'm Australian, but currently living in London. I'm sure I'll be able to find something equivalent if they're not available here.

Many thanks again for responding so quickly!

I'm in London and have nutritional yeast flakes They're avaliable in health food shops. Pretty sure Holland and Barretts do them
#29 Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamry View Post

I'm in London and have nutritional yeast flakes They're avaliable in health food shops. Pretty sure Holland and Barretts do them

Bingo! I lived in London for years and nutritional yeast flakes were in H&B and independant HFS all over the place.

Looks like this:

#30 Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Bingo! I lived in London for years and nutritional yeast flakes were in H&B and independant HFS all over the place.

Thanks so much Hamry and Mr Falafel! There's a Holland and Barrett just down the road from me - they are great for vegetarian food.

I'm going to be sad to leave England because there is such a huge range of products for vegetarians compared with in Australia which is unfortunately still living in the 1950's. We can't even get Quorn there! But tofu is at least widely available.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page