Can i grow my own avocados? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Beginner

i am in love with avocados and go through so many throughout the week. I normally chuck the big seed or pit but is it possible to plant it? I kept yesterdays pit in a plastic baggy and im sort of hoping i can grow some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Beginner

You can plant it, but if you want it to product fruit, you will have to plant two or be sure there is another avocado tree near you, so it can get pollinated. I'm growing a mango tree right now.
#3 Old 03-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Beginner

I'm sure you also have to be in an avocado tree appropriate climate...

The pit will sprout if you take 4 toothpicks and stick it around the middle on the sides and then sit the pit/toothpick structure on top of a glass and fill it with water so half the pit is in the water and half the pit is out of the water. Whether or not you can eventually plant the pit outside and grow fruit is dependent on where you live.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Beginner

I once sprouted an avocado pit as a kid. All I did was put it in a pot of dirt. It didn't survive, though, even though we live in a fairly avocado-friendly climate. Just be aware that an avocado tree grows like 60 feet tall, and I think takes years to produce fruit. It ain't like planting tomatoes!
#5 Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm sure you also have to be in an avocado tree appropriate climate...

The pit will sprout if you take 4 toothpicks and stick it around the middle on the sides and then sit the pit/toothpick structure on top of a glass and fill it with water so half the pit is in the water and half the pit is out of the water. Whether or not you can eventually plant the pit outside and grow fruit is dependent on where you live.

How does one stick toothpicks in an avocado pits? Wouldn't they just break?
#6 Old 03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Eeek! 60 feet tall? I think i'll stick to buying them. It might be fun to try and grow a little tree, i've never actually grown anything before. I'm guessing east coast weather isnt avocado weather correct?
#7 Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Beginner

I have one growing, not sure if it is surviving this winter. I think I will plant it a friend just in case in a million years I grow an avacado. How fun.
#8 Old 03-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

Eeek! 60 feet tall? I think i'll stick to buying them. It might be fun to try and grow a little tree, i've never actually grown anything before. I'm guessing east coast weather isnt avocado weather correct?

Maybe east coast Florida.
#9 Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Beginner

Another thing to bear in mind is that because avocados produce sexually, any fruit that you might get could be significantly different from the fruit that the plant grew from. Like apple trees, all commercial avocado plants are produced through grafting. (Who says you don't learn anything from watching TV?)

Even if your outdoor climate isn't right, avocado plants make nice house plants.
#10 Old 03-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Beginner

I've grown several as house plants, I started them off by sitting a pip in a saucer of water. It was satisfying, but they were rather dreary looking, mine grew as twigs with large dull leaves.
#11 Old 03-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Beginner

I've seen dwarf varities sold that can (so they say) live inside in a pot and still produce avacados, you might want to google about that.
#12 Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

How does one stick toothpicks in an avocado pits? Wouldn't they just break?

I don't know, I haven't grown an avocado pit since I was a kid, but when I did, thats how I did it!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page