Persistent question - Nesquik vegan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2006, 06:30 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew whether Nesquik chocolate powder is vegan or not. I have found it included among vegan products on online lists but the ingredients include "natural ingredients" that I fear may be hiding some kind of milk product. I have a glass of it every night so I would like to make sure that I am not inadvertently consuming some hidden milk derivative on a daily basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't remember, but I thought it was not vegan. I do think the strawberry might be however.
#3 Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 PM

Yeah I'm begining to suspect as much. Just noticed the Kosher symbol on the can which I had never seen before: a circle U with a D next to it. Unless this includes products that are manufactured on the same equipment as dairy products (does it?) that would mean it is not vegan. Well damn; I've been drinking this stuff since I turned vegan and it's frustrating to learn that it is in fact not. Arrrgghh.... anyone have any success with vegan substitutes? I have tried the Ahlaska brand before and it was pretty good; any others?

#4 Old 02-09-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor12 View Post

Just noticed the Kosher symbol on the can which I had never seen before: a circle U with a D next to it. Unless this includes products that are manufactured on the same equipment as dairy products (does it?)

yes, it does.
#5 Old 02-09-2006, 07:10 AM

Great news everyone. I just got off the phone with a representative at nestle who assured me there are no milk products in nesquik powders so they are in fact vegan.
#6 Old 02-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor12 View Post

a circle U with a D next to it. Unless this includes products that are manufactured on the same equipment as dairy products (does it?) that would mean it is not vegan.

It does include products that are manufactured on the same equipment as dairy products.
#7 Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM

Even if nesquik is vegan, i'd advise everyone NOT to use it, or any nestle products. Nestle is a terrible corporation with an even worse reputation. Right now they're in court because they enslaved and beat children in Africa who were growing cocoa for them.
LadyJane1 likes this.
#8 Old 02-11-2006, 09:25 AM

I found that we have some of the "Very Vanilla" flavor, but before I tried it I emailed Nestle and they said if they put any dairy in it, they would have to label it because there are a lot of allergies. Then I tried some and it was
#9 Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 AM

The Vitamin D in Nesquick is not Vegan as it derived from animal sources.  Dairy, eggs, meat and fish are not the only ingredients that aren't Vegan.  Vegans do not consume honey (found in granola), shellac (found in nail polish and jelly beans) or cochineal (found in starbucks frapiccino) which are derived from living creatures too.  For a full comprehensive list of what to avoid please see this link: http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/animal-substances.aspx

#10 Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

There are some really old threads on vb, and you found one of them.

On topic, lol, Nestles is *still* a horrible company that I boycott.
#11 Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 PM

I am trying to go vegan, but i still love my hot chocolate! I had some chocolate Nesquik powder mic lying around and I had the same question as you guys. After my search I found out that the mix is vegan, but there is one exception to possibly some's views. The mix is made on machines that also process milk, soy, and wheat. It does not have vitamin D inside of it, so no worries. If you are fine with it sharing the same machines like I am, then enjoy some Nesquik with almond milk :)

#12 Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Guys, you can do your own quick hot chocolate (or cold) with 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water. Heat up 1 cup of any milk you like and mix cocoa mixture in it. Less quick then just scooping Nesquick and adding to milk? Sure, but it's vegan hehe. Just mix up a pot for the week and keep it in fridge.

Oh and for those who still buy cacao products, please see this documentary, you might change your mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vfbv6hNeng I buy mine fair trade, hoping it really is.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#13 Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisAREspicy View Post

Even if nesquik is vegan, i'd advise everyone NOT to use it, or any nestle products. Nestle is a terrible corporation with an even worse reputation. Right now they're in court because they enslaved and beat children in Africa who were growing cocoa for them.

Wow!!!I love different flavored milks but I guess I'll be just making my regular strawberry milk with strawberries,vanilla soy milk, and agave.I don't want to support these goings on.Thanks!!

#14 Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

My advice is, if you aren't sure. Don't drink it. Change brands. If the "Used with the same machinery that processes..." I think is more for allergens (Trust me, some people have extremely severe allergies :( )then veg*ans who aren't comforable eating/drinking animal by products.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#15 Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Nestle is a pretty evil company, even if that product is vegan.
#16 Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

This. ^^ I have been boycotting them since the 1980s.
#17 Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Yes, I would love to try the strawberry kind but that just makes me so sad.I won't support that.These big corporations could do alot of good but many just focus on the money.huh.gif

#18 Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM

a lot of products do NOT contain milk by-products (caseinate, whey, etc) in their ingredients -- and this is one of them -- however, they are manufactured by companies that produce other products that DO have caseinate or whey in them. this is why, after the "ingredients" list, you will often see a warning saying "may contain [milk, wheat, nuts, etc]", or "manufactured on equipment that processes [milk, wheat, nuts. etc]". i believe this warning is required for people with allergies to any of those things.

personally, if casein or whey (or milk) is not listed in the ingredients, then i will buy the product: i am looking for products that do not DEPEND upon dairy for their existence -- i am not looking for a religious standard. one could argue that if you are buying a product manufactured by a company that also manufactures milk products, then you are endorsing the company. that is a very high standard, and would be a very difficult one to follow.

in an imperfect world, we all have to set our own limits.

i would just like to add: boycotting a company because they are "evil" or have horrendous business practices is a different political issue, and certainly worthy of investigation and discretion. however, i am simply addressing the "vegan" issue.

Last edited by korgy; 05-21-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page