VeggieBoards banner

Need a salad recipe for a vegan BBQ

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
...so, of course it has to be vegan. I have a bunch of braeburn apples and navel oranges that I was hoping to use up. Any ideas of what else I can put in it?

#3 ·
how about this...

Beet Orange Apple Salad

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds fresh beets with greens (about 1 bunch)

1 large orange

2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled and thinly sliced

2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

1)Coarsely shred beet greens to measure 2 cups. Set aside. Leave root and 1" of stem on 2 beets reserving remaining beets for another time.

2)Scrub with a brush and set aside. Place beets in a small saucepan and add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool.

3)Trim off beet stems and roots and rub off skins.

4)Cut each beet into 8 wedges. Set aside.

5)Peel and section orange over a medium bowl, reserving juice and membranes; set sections aside. Squeeze membranes over bowl to extract juice. Discard membranes.

6)Add orange sections, beets and apples. Toss gently and set aside.

7)Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic in a jar. Cover and pour over beet mixture. Toss well.

8)Arrange 1/2 cup of shredded beet greens on each of 4 salad plates. Top with beet mixture; sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.