alternative to tomato pasta sauce - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2006, 02:31 PM

i always get bad acid reflux when i consume tomato sauce. can you recommend a lighter sauce for my pasta? it seems that there is no vegetarian alfredo sauce sold in stores either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2006, 02:46 PM

Can you eat regular tomatoes?

I like to eat pasta with a bit of olive oil and fresh basil sprinkled over it, and then eat it with fresh (cherrie or roma) tomatoes, red peppers or other raw veggies, and thin sliced parmesan cheese. I dont know if you're vegan?
#3 Old 01-08-2006, 02:47 PM

what about pesto?
#4 Old 01-08-2006, 02:57 PM

Pesto is the way to go! If you're vegan it is a bit hard finding pesto without cheese, but it can be done. If you can't it is really easy to make. Blend olive oil, basil, pine nuts. If you want to experiment you can use different oils and nuts and find alternate tastes you like, but the original is really good!
#5 Old 01-08-2006, 04:31 PM

I do a lot of pasta with just garlic and oil, or garlic, oil and fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano... depends on what i can get). I also used to have trouble digesting pasta sauce, and I found it wasn't the tomatoes, it was the onion in the sauce that I couldn't handle. Now I make it without onion and I don't have a problem. Can you eat fresh tomatoes?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

alfredo sauce or just oil and herbs

alfredo sauce for vegans

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/77648.html
#7 Old 01-08-2006, 05:55 PM

olive oil and balsamic vinaigre... olive oil and parsley and basil.. olive oil and jamaican jerk seasoning...

pesto, roasted red pepper sauce, can you toss your pasta w/fresh roasted marinated veggies? like.. with olive oil, roasted mushrooms, summer squash, eggplant, asparagus, red and yellow and orange and purple peppers?....
#8 Old 01-08-2006, 06:42 PM

I'm not a huge fan of basil, so I make pesto with spinach instead!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#9 Old 01-08-2006, 08:02 PM

i make mine with spinach and arugala

have you considered making a vegan/veggie stroganoff with which to top your pasta? vegan with a vengeance has an EXCELLENT stroganoff recipe that calls for seitan.. and is...
#10 Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Oh, your suggestions were helpful and the flavors are divine!
#11 Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Holy-Thread-Update Batman! This thread is three years old!
#12 Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM

may, indeed, be an old post but worth bumping up since a lot of people seem to have problems with acid reflux and tomato sauces are difficult to eat. my favorite pasta sauce is chopped up tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil. combine and let sit at room temp for about 30 min to an hour and then toss with drained pasta. it is awesome. i dont know why but fresh tomatoes dont seem to cause the same acid reflux as tomato sauces. go figure
#13 Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM

One simple option that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned - margarine! Just toss a few spoonfuls on your pasta right after draining, while it's still hot, and it melts on the pasta for a simple "buttery" sauce.

--Fromper

#14 Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Banned

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Lobster, Prince, Tennis Twist and used tennis ball machine reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page