Need quick response - Would you use tofu past the expiration date? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2006, 02:42 PM

I have a recipe that calls for silken tofu. I usually buy firm tofu that tends to have a longer shelf life, so I didn't bother to notice the expiration date on the silken tofu when I bought it a few weeks ago. The container I have is sealed, but the expiration date says use by 12-26-2005. Is it still good? Would you use it?

Also, why is it that firm tofu has a longer shelf life than silken (or is it that I just happened to purchase an old container)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM

I personally wouldn't use it.
#3 Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM

If you wouldn't use it, what could I use as a substitute? I'm making breaded eggplant which calls for mixing the silken tofu with olive oil in which to dredge the eggplant and then coating with breadcrumbs.
#4 Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM

I use tofu past it's date sometimes. Over xmas, I made several things with tofu dated mid November. If it smells fine and tastes fine, I'd use it.
#5 Old 01-06-2006, 02:56 PM

I figured it would be ok, too, delicious. And I thought about the smell and taste thing also. Although I don't really know what uncooked tofu is supposed to smell or taste like.

There is a barely noticeable tangy smell and flavor. Is that normal?
#6 Old 01-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Sounds normal to me.
#7 Old 01-06-2006, 03:01 PM

Good. Thanks. Off to make dinner.
#8 Old 01-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Just found another recipe that calls for soymilk and egg replacer. Simple enough. I'll probably try that next time.
#9 Old 01-06-2006, 05:00 PM

Another idea: I dredge my eggplant slices in applesauce before dunking them in breading. It makes the eggplant a little sweeter (plus i always seem to have applesauce in the house anyway).
#10 Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 PM

after a freakish food poisoning incident over two years ago, I dont fool around with expired food.

"when in doubt, throw it out" is a good motto

and tofu is CHEAP! dont worry about it!!
#11 Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM

I was a little worried about the expiration date too, sophia_cat. But I decided to go ahead and use it. I'll let you know if I have any ill effects. BTW, if you don't mind my asking, can you elaborate on the food poisoning incident?

VeggieBiker, the applesauce idea sounds interesting. I'll keep that in mind.
#12 Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 AM

hmmm.. two years ago, (when I was still eating fish), I had some fried shrimp at a seafood restaurant, kind of gross, but here it goes since you asked.... warning! TMI below....

I threw up every two minutes for about 12 hours, even after there was nothing left. The last of it all was bright green, kool-aid looking stuff. Towards the end, I was basically laying on the floor with a bowl I was so exhausted.

As soon as that was over, I stood up and the other end of me experienced about an hour of cramps and you know what....

The worst thing that has ever happened to me. True, you are talking about tofu and I am talking about seafood, but the phobia about expired food is still very strong.

I just dont mess around with that!!!!! YIPES.
#13 Old 01-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Wow, that sounds like a really horrible experience. I can understand why you'd be leery.
#14 Old 01-09-2006, 10:11 AM

I usually use food past the expiration date if it still looks good.

The expiration date must be the minimum date, so that probably less then 1 percent of the food actually expires before that dat, which means that more then 99% of the food will expire at or after the date.
#15 Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Generally speaking, all the shelf life means is the last day the item can be sold. Usually, most food is good for a few days past the shelf life, with the exception of meat, which I don't have to worry about. Now, TOFU and most vegetable, have an obvious foul odor when it starts to go bad. So, just look at it amd smell it. That should usually tell you. I have used TOFU past the expiration date on occasion. If it is stored properly-in cold water changed daily, extends the life of the product signifigently.
#16 Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 PM

You can actually eat tofu when it smells a little sour...I have a cookbook that states "sour tofu works even better for *fish* recipes."
#17 Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 PM

If it's the kind you get from a refriderated case, I wouldn't use it past the expiration date. Soy isn't just yummy food for us. Nasty mold and bacteria love it too. But if you got it in those boxes that can be kept in the cupboard, you should be able to use it.
#18 Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 AM

I've used both (the tetrapak and water sealed) past their expiration date. No ill effects. You're usually safe with stuff like that a week or two past the expiration date. Beware if the tofu turns an orangey color though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia_cat View Post

hmmm.. two years ago, (when I was still eating fish), I had some fried shrimp at a seafood restaurant, kind of gross, but here it goes since you asked.... warning! TMI below....

I threw up every two minutes for about 12 hours, even after there was nothing left. The last of it all was bright green, kool-aid looking stuff. Towards the end, I was basically laying on the floor with a bowl I was so exhausted.

As soon as that was over, I stood up and the other end of me experienced about an hour of cramps and you know what....

The worst thing that has ever happened to me. True, you are talking about tofu and I am talking about seafood, but the phobia about expired food is still very strong.

I just dont mess around with that!!!!! YIPES.

Ahhh...throwing up bile. It's great, isn't it?

Hah, I did that once, but not with seafood. I ate an orange instead of something carby after one too many shots of rum. yeah. don't ever do that.
#19 Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

Ahhh...throwing up bile. It's great, isn't it?

Hah, I did that once, but not with seafood. I ate an orange instead of something carby after one too many shots of rum. yeah. don't ever do that.

.....duly noted.
#20 Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 AM

Perfect time for me to happen on this thread, I was wondering about using tofu tonight that expired 1/5!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page