Papa John's Cinnapie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2003, 07:05 PM

Does anyone know if this is vegan?

My dad ordered pizza for dinner here.. including a cinnapie. I'm quite confident that it's not lowfat or healthy by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks (and smells!) oh so tempting!

Heck, if anyone out there has a recipe that would imitate this, I'll gladly take it *g*

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2003, 07:23 PM

the pizza dough, cinnapie spread, and frosting type substance for dipping are all vegan. I have also heard that the garlic dipping sauce is vegan, since it's made from some form of margarine.

Maybe you could email their corporate office for a listing of ingredients? I'm sure they'd be willing to accomodate you with a list. ^_^

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#3 Old 01-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Administrator

I just e-mailed them, I'll post when I hear something.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#4 Old 01-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Someone else will have to decipher this...

Quote:

Michael

Listed below is the ingredients information for the Cinnapie. Have a good day.

Cinnamon Spread: Sugar, margarine (partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, water, salt, mono and diglycerides, lecithin, sodium benzoate and citric acid [preservatives], artificial flavor, artificial color, vitamin A palmitate added), bleached enriched flour (flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), soy oil, molasses, cinnamon, water, potassium sorbate (preservative), and soy lecithin.

Icing (White): Sugar, water, corn syrup, stearic acid, artificial color, agar, salt, potassium sorbate (preservative), guar gum, pectin, dextrose, citric acid, sodium hexametaphosphate, natural and artificial flavor.

Pan Pizza Shells: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Soybean Oil, Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils) Olive Oil, Yeast, Salt, Sugar, Glycerin, Wheat Starch, L-Cyst

Shawn

Consumer Services Team

#5 Old 01-25-2003, 11:13 AM

The sugar may be concerning, if you're concerned about sugar. The stearic acid and L-cyst give me a red flag for some reason, but I'll have to look that up... Otherwise...I think it looks okay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Though I realllllly don't want to be wrong.
#6 Old 01-25-2003, 11:26 AM

Okay, I checked them both out. I checked on the Animal Ingredients A-Z page and found stearic acid to be on the animal ingredients list. I looked through the glossary of animal ingredients in my copy of How It All Vegan, and it describes stearic acid as "Fat from cows and sheep and from dogs and cats euthanized in animal shelters ( ), etc. Most often refers to a fatty substance taken from the stomachs of pigs." It later goes on to say that stearic acid can be derived from many vegetable fats and from coconut.

ARGH. It totally depends on where they get their stearic acid from...
#7 Old 01-25-2003, 11:31 AM

The hygenodrated soybean and cottonseed oils would keep me away from it. Nevermind the the white flour, sugar and preservatives. I guess I don't have to wonder why America is so fat and diseased.
#8 Old 01-25-2003, 01:22 PM

Also it lists lecithin....and then later it lists soy lecithin....this leads me to believe that the "nondescript" lecithin is egg lecithin.
#9 Old 01-25-2003, 01:24 PM

Oh, also....I refuse to eat anything that has natural flavor or artificial flavor. What the hell is that?
#10 Old 01-25-2003, 01:34 PM

Herself, you are so right about the natural flavor thing. It's an additive. I rememnber doing some research on it years ago but can't remembrer exactly what I came across. I'll have to look into it again.
#11 Old 01-25-2003, 02:37 PM

I've heard that 99% of lecithin used in food is derived from soy.

Mono & diglycerides are an iffy ingredient. The stearic acid bothers me even more - I belive they frequently get that from animal sources. I also wonder about the natural & artificial flavors. Considering what this is, i wouldn't be surprised if the natural flavors came from dairy. I've also heard that artificial flavors can be animal derived - if they're processed enough, they can be called artificial.

Also - depending on how "picky" you are, the garlic sauce isn't vegan. They've really fudged around about it, but the source of the lactic acid in it is dairy - they think that just because it's been so far processed from the original source that they can say it doesn't come from an animal - argh! Most of the time they'll replace the garlic sauce for marinara if you ask.

I guess i'll now have to see about making my own cinnapie .. if i come across a good recipe, i'll make sure to share it here

btw - thanks Michael for emailing them for the info!

And then all the hydrogenated fat & preservatives - yuck!
#12 Old 01-25-2003, 07:12 PM

The glycerin could also be animal or vegetable, I am betting animal.
#13 Old 01-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Administrator

By the way, when I wrote I asked if it was vegan and even explained what vegan meant. What I got back was what you see above - a list of ingredients. Which is how most companies respond but it always makes me suspicious when they don't also give me a yes or no answer.

#14 Old 01-25-2003, 10:51 PM

Michael, it's because they don't really know. they don't bother to find out where the ingredients come from cause most people probably don't ask.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#15 Old 01-26-2003, 02:38 PM

About the lecithin...they specifically list it as soy lecithin...but then you'll see that before the "soy lecthin" (as a completely different ingredient) they list just "lecithin". Isn't that weird? Why 2 different lecithins?

Hey Obsidian Zebra, if you come up with a Cinnapie recipe fork it over! Maybe Kreeli could come up with one? Hmmmm.
#16 Old 01-27-2003, 07:47 AM

Ingredients that can be either animal- or vegetable-derived (like stearic acid) are a pain in the ass. It sure would be nice to have some kind of definitive labelling to reflect what's actually in something.
#17 Old 01-27-2003, 07:22 PM

Okay, I think i've got this cinnapie figured out - to obtain a recipe replicating it anyhow. After analyzing a sample, to me it looks it could be made with any basic cinnamon roll recipe - just roll out the dough in a circle, spread out the cinnamon filling like a pizza sauce on top, then drizzle on the icing .. Now to find a good vegan cinnamon roll recipe to experiement! yum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page