making tofurkey in a slow-cooker - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Beginner

Someone suggested I try this. I'm clueless though. Has anyone tried this/know how to go about it?

I got my slow cooker for Christmas last year and still haven't used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I had just made Tofurkey in a slow cooker this Thanksgiving (Crock Pot is the same thing, but the Rival company owns that name). I decided to experiment, since I have made the Tofurkey in the oven as the package directions say to do in the past, but it was always too dry even if I basted it. So I took my thawed Tofurkey and placed it in the slow cooker. I added the basting ingredients that they suggested on the package: olive oil and soy sauce and sage, putting the full amount on the Tofurkey and not half now and half later as the directions on the package say. Then I cut up potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms and added a bit more oil and soy sauce and more sage and some tarragon. I surrounded the Tofurkey with the vegetbles and even covered the top of the Tofurkey with veggies. I turned the slow cooker on high and it was done in about 3 hours. I didn't stir it or anything, just put it all in the slow cooker and let it cook. You might need to experiment with the times and whether you want to slow cook on high or low. Some cookers cook faster than others.

Anyhow, it was the moistess and most delicious Tofurkey and veggies I had eaten. The veggies came out great too! This is how I will cook Tofurkey from now on. My husband said it was the best he ever ate and loved how moist it came out. I don't think you need to inject it with the basting, as it really stays moist.

Now you all can try this next Thanksgiving or during the December holidays. Bon Appetite!
#3 Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Beginner

I made my tofurkey in the oven after injecting it with lots of veggie broth. It came out pretty good. We are going to my parent's house for Christmas. I may have to try the slow cooker method you suggested so that my omni family can continue to make their food without me getting in the way. Its not that they are opposed to my eating, its just that their kitchen is so dang small. You can fit only so many rumps in their before things get a little too cozy!
#4 Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Beginner

i haven't tried the slow cooker, but that's a good idea.

mine doesn't come out dry though--i put the full marinade on and then wrap it in aluminum foil completely and that seems to work out well.
#5 Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Where's my camera?

Slow cooking is the way to go. I think the advantage is that a greater surface area of the tofurky is in contact with the vegetables, broth and juices. It soaks them up, adds a lot of natural flavor and makes the tofurky moist. It's a great way of adding flavor to the vegetables too.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Beginner

this sounds really good

i've never tried tofurkey, i really want to especially after reading this. they're so expensive though, about $30 here

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page