What the ferk? (can't find expiration date on Tofurky) - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-21-2005, 04:31 PM

I cannot find an expiration date or "use by" date anywhere on my Thanksgiving toferky roast. How long do these suckers last in the fridge? I'm starting to get nervous as I do not want it to go bad before Thursday. Should it be frozen? If anyone has experience with these things I would appreciate the
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

...When I was a teenager, I worked in a supermarket as a stockboy, and later a cashier. When meat would go past it's expiration date, the manager would take nail-polish remover and scrub off the dates on the meat packages.

Yet another reason to go vegetarian.

...As long as the Tofurkey package is sealed, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
#3 Old 11-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I know my Tofurky last year had to thaw for a day before I could cook it. I think the box said it lasts a month unfrozen in the fridge, but I believe it said it could last a year or more in the freezer. I assume (though this probably isn't the best way to determine ) that if you have recently bought it, that it should be fine. Stores aren't supposed to sell expired stuff....

I do remember it had to be cooked at 300 (B/c it was different from the turkey my family was eating, so it had to be cooked second afterwards ) and for 3 and a half hours. Yesss I loved getting turkey three hours after everyone else had finished eating theirs....

I hoped that helped (maybe) a little. I don't know where the expiration is on the box though... Maybe you could call the company and ask??
#4 Old 11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

...When I was a teenager, I worked in a supermarket as a stockboy, and later a cashier. When meat would go past it's expiration date, the manager would take nail-polish remover and scrub off the dates on the meat packages.

Yet another reason to go vegetarian.

...As long as the Tofurkey package is sealed, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ah!! That's crazy talk!

<shivers>

I'm trying to remember what I did with my tofurky though, and I'm thinking the only reason I had to cook it that long was b/c I thawed it in the fridge and it was still quite frozen.....

...I'm really not being helpful....
#5 Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM

The reason I was worried was because I just had a "tofu expert" over to cook some for me and we determined it had gone rancid a month before the expiration date. Yes, the date on the package of tofu was December 17 '05. It was fine when a bought it, but about 10 days afterward I noticed the wrapping had puffed up. When we investigated...it was smelly and crumbly like feta. Now I'm afraid of more tofu undergoing an early death in my fridge. Yikes!
#6 Old 11-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey_Paws_Lov View Post

The reason I was worried was because I just had a "tofu expert" over to cook some for me and we determined it had gone rancid a month before the expiration date. Yes, the date on the package of tofu was December 17 '05. It was fine when a bought it, but about 10 days afterward I noticed the wrapping had puffed up. When we investigated...it was smelly and crumbly like feta. Now I'm afraid of more tofu undergoing an early death in my fridge. Yikes!

I hope you took it back and got your money back, that's ridiculous

I would think it would have a much much longer shelf life.....

The Turtle Islands Foods have a link to the cooking instructions (yea, I should have thought of this before hand ) ... It says that it lasts in the fridge for 30 days.....

http://www.tofurky.com/products/tofurkyfeasts.htm
#7 Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey_Paws_Lov View Post

Yick...

but don't people actually enjoy it that way? Isn't that what aged or fermented tofu is? Unless it's cuz it had already been opened and sitting in your fridge for 10 days, then that's not good. Mine usually starts to turn pink and get a subtle "farty" scent if I forget about opened tofu

But with the tofurky: I think that as long as you didn't buy it WEEKS ago and has been unopened and at least refrigerated since you've had it, it should be OK. It's a little more processed than plain tofu, I would imagine.
#8 Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

The only way tofu goes bad is if you open it and remove the water. Then it gets all slimey on the outside.

If you do open Tofu, you can keep it fresh for almost a month as long as you change the water every other day or so, and keep it submerged and unexposed to air.
#9 Old 11-21-2005, 09:16 PM

Well, something went awry with my last tub of tofu. (It was unopened in the fridge). But thanks for all the reassurance about my very first, beloved, Tofurkey. I hope it's good!
#10 Old 11-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Tofurkey is awesome & I have experimented for several yrs now. Defrosting it actually takes a long time & you should definitley do this early enough if not your oven will be on forever. Make sure to keep it moist w/ a mixture of veggie stock &/or apple &/or orange juice. This thing is so damn good though!

Oh yeah the whole expiration date thing, not a big deal, the stuff I have in my freezer has been there a while-like months. Probably not the best idea but your tofurkey should be fine though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page