Rice Cooker... What Else Can I Cook In It? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Beginner

So.... I have this really cool, totally awesome rice cooker... (You probably knew that, right?)...

I have SO MUCH FUN with it!! We basically use it every day - I've cooked rice (white, brown, black, wild, and red...), barley, millet, regular and red quinoa, and buckwheat...

So...what else? - anyone have any amazing rice cooker ideas? recipes? thoughts? Any other grains? Things you've tried? What worked, and what didn't? (So far everything's turned great - no credit to me - - it's a wonderfully foolproof rice cooker!!)

So - I'm open to trying any suggestions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Beginner

the famous rice cooker

i've never even seen one upclose so no ideas here, sorry
#3 Old 07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Well, since I've only ever cooked, er, rice in mine you're already much more accomplished than I! I've thought about cooking other grains, but the booklet that came along with it says not to cook anything but rice (except when it's in it's steaming mode, in which case you're supposed to steam veggies). I suppose I should just be bold and cook up some quinoa!
#4 Old 07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

... I've thought about cooking other grains, but the booklet that came along with it says not to cook anything but rice (except when it's in it's steaming mode, in which case you're supposed to steam veggies). I suppose I should just be bold and cook up some quinoa!

Wow!! My direction book (though mostly written in Japanese or soemthing) had instructions for several other grains... quinoa is SO SO SO much better in a rice cooker!! I had to experiment with a couple gtrains to get the right water/grain ratio but you really should try it - I seriously doubt it could hurt anything...
#5 Old 07-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Other grains should work just fine. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to cook quinoa or barley, for example.
#6 Old 07-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Beginner

My mother had a rice cooker, and she would use it to steam veggies all of the time. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots...mmmm. The broccoli was to die for!
#7 Old 07-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Tofu -- here's an idea. You notice how I am always seeing some of the juices from the veggies go back into the water when I steam veggies with my rice cooker? Why doesn't one of us try cooking something strong and aromatic that would flavor the grain below. Something like a cheesecloth full of cloves and orange peels and cinnamon sticks? (I am having a hard time thinking of something edible that would be good to flavor the grain with so that you get two dishes in one shot.)

Or -- there's got to be a way to steam cous-cous stuffing with seasoned acorn squash on top... What do you think? Better for baking? Probably.... Hmmm...
#8 Old 07-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

the famous rice cooker

i've never even seen one upclose so no ideas here, sorry

They're really evasive little fellas. You can't look at 'em straight on or they disappear. (Sorry)
#9 Old 07-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Tofu -- here's an idea. You notice how I am always seeing some of the juices from the veggies go back into the water when I steam veggies with my rice cooker? Why doesn't one of us try cooking something strong and aromatic that would flavor the grain below. Something like a cheesecloth full of cloves and orange peels and cinnamon sticks? (I am having a hard time thinking of something edible that would be good to flavor the grain with so that you get two dishes in one shot.) ...

I often use lemon slices and garlic... or fresh herbs from my patio, or lemongrass stalks... is that sort of what you're thinking?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page