iron in raisins vs. grapes?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-02-2005, 02:53 PM

I've heard that raisins are a source of iron, but that grapes are not. So I'm confused....I know that iron is an element, so it can't just spontaneously come from nowhere. So how the heck do raisins have iron but grapes don't?? Is it something to do with the drying process, ie. they add it in??

Thanks so much for your help.....I know it sounds bizarre but I've really been wondering about this lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned

100 grams of raisins have 300 calories and 10% RDA for iron.

138 grams of Thompson grapes (from which raisins are usually made) has 85 calories and 2% RDA for iron.

So %RDA/calorie for raisins and grapes respectively is .03333 and .02353. This difference could be entirely explained away by rounding errors and is certainly not large enough to make one a good source and the other poor.

I would fully expect one raisin to have as much iron as 1 grape of the same variety.
#3 Old 07-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Thanks remilard.

Ya, I had thought that like you said, one grape and one raisin should have the same amount of iron, but somebody told me that this wasn't so.

So does that mean that I am getting iron when I'm munching on my fresh crisp grapes?? Awesome, cause they are one of my favorite snacks lately. So good and healthy too.
#4 Old 07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

Thanks remilard.

Ya, I had thought that like you said, one grape and one raisin should have the same amount of iron, but somebody told me that this wasn't so.

So does that mean that I am getting iron when I'm munching on my fresh crisp grapes?? Awesome, cause they are one of my favorite snacks lately. So good and healthy too.

They are definately among the fruits with the highest iron, I think it was 1.5 cups had 2% RDA and I know when I have grapes around I can eat several times that in a day which is a non insubstancial amount of iron.
#5 Old 07-02-2005, 03:46 PM

My mom told me that raisins get iron from the racks they dry them on. I'm not sure if it's true, though.
#6 Old 07-02-2005, 11:12 PM

Well, with raisins, everything is more concentrated, because the water is gone. Eating 1 cup of raisins is like eating 4-6 cups of grapes.
#7 Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalteacup View Post

My mom told me that raisins get iron from the racks they dry them on. I'm not sure if it's true, though.

True story. And if you might eat 20 grapes in a serving, you might 100 or more raisins. 1/4c raisins = about 77 raisins.

So you might just eat 5 times as many dried shrunken grapes as crisp fresh grapes. 5X more dried grapes per volume, equals 5X more iron per volume.
#8 Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 AM

I'm afraid the grapes themselves still don't make so great an iron source though. A whole bag might be 10% of the RDA.
#9 Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 AM

Instead of raisins, you could also try grape molasses (petimezi in Greek, or pekmez in Turkish) for iron. You can use it as a sweetener, or the same way you'd use blackstrap molasses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page