Nice, non-spicy vegan recipes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Does anyone have any nice, non-spicy vegan recipes? Preferably not tomato based (like pasta dishes with tomato sauce), as I can't eat too much tomato.

I'm having a friend over to make/eat dinner together tomorrow, who can't have spicy food (I'm not supposed to, either, but I do frequently) and can't think of anything good to make except boring, bland everyday things like beans and rice and vegetable stews, etc. I want something sort of special, not gourmet, but just nice. Also, I don't want anything with sweet potatoes in it (my friend doesn't like them).

I'm hoping to find something with fairly "normal" ingredients that I can get at a grocery store, because I don't have time to go searching for things, and something that doesn't take too long (no marinating overnight, etc.) Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Portabello Burgers with Roasted Pepper Paste

2 Tbsp olive oil

1/8 cup (3 splashes) balsamic vinegar

2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped

1 lemon, juiced

2-4 large portabello mushroom caps

salt & pepper

Roasted Pepper Paste:

1 14 oz jar roasted peppers, drained

a drizzle olive oil

handful flat leaved parsley

1 large clove garlic

salt and pepper to taste

2-4 large crusty rolls

Suggested toppings:

Whole baby spinach leaves

thinly sliced red onions

Combine first 4 ingredients in the bottom of a large food storage bag. Add mushroom caps, seal, and shake bag to coat caps. Let marinate for 15 min. If no bag then just maranate on a plate or in a bowl.

Grill mushrooms on indoor grill, or in regular pan, starting with caps down, turning to caps up, 6 min on each side. Season caps with salt and pepper.

To make the red pepper paste, combine the roasted red peppers, oil, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in food processor or blender and pulse grind into thick sauce.

To serve, place the grilled mushroom caps on toasted bun bottoms. Top with spinach and onion. Spread bun tops with pepper paste.

Ideas for side dishes:

chips

pasta salad (marinate cooked pasta, like bowties or spirals, in favorite italian dressing, add chopped vegetables-carrots, cucumber, peppers, sliced scallions and let marinate for 30min up till overnight. If you have vegan mayo, you can add this at the end, before serving if you want.)

mashed potatoes

steamed broccoli with lemon pepper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page