Do you eat the heel of a loaf of bread? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
View Poll Results: Do you eat the heel of a loaf of bread?
Of course! It's still bread. 0 0%
No way, it's the butt of the loaf and I won't eat it. 0 0%
Only when I'm starving and there's nothing else in the house to eat. 0 0%
It's the best part! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 02-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Beginner

I don't like to make a 2-piece sandwich out of the heel, but I like to toast it and pile egg, "chicken" or "tuna" salad on it. If I don't do that, I'll grind it into bread crumbs when the rest of the loaf's gone. I can always find a use for fresh breadcrumbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 02-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Of course I do, like the poll said, it's still bread. Kids probably deem it as crust though.
#63 Old 02-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Isn't the option you voted for in italics?

Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot.

*this space not for sale*
#64 Old 02-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Beginner

Yeast extract is not a big deal in the US. We import it from Australia and Britain. The majority of Americans have not tasted it, and most who have say it's gross. Nonetheless, I find Marmite yummyrific.

I use bread heels to keep the loaf fresh and eat them last. I certainly don't waste them!
#65 Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 AM
Banned

I think that the heel is the best part! I will always eat it and as stated, it is great for toasting. I usually don't use them for sandwiches, I eat them by thierselves.
#66 Old 02-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Beginner

Not sure what is meant by 'heel'?

If you mean the crust then I love that bit but only when really crusty & fresh
#67 Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Beginner

One of the fun things I remember as kid was going to the corner market for my mom, buying a loaf of french bread and getting to eat the heel on the way home!

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#68 Old 02-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Beginner

I used to despise the heel of the loaf but now I've started eating it. Like what most said, I also don't make sandwiches out of it. I just toast it, put some jam on top, and eat.
#69 Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Beginner

The best part! I used to like to eat them toasted with soup, toasted with marg. and apple sauce, as buns, and put together into a pb&j sandwich.
#70 Old 02-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I use bread heels to keep the loaf fresh and eat them last. I certainly don't waste them!

I do the same thing, keep them as bookends for the loaf until all the interior pieces are gone. If the ends have gotten dry and leathery I use them for bread pudding or croutons in soup rather than eat them straight.

I also usually freeze my bread since I live alone and can't use up a whole loaf before it goes stale.
#71 Old 02-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Beginner

I love the heel and am actually having at this moment, a tofurkey and veganaisse sammy with the heel. And someone was talking about marmite. I almost bought some this weekend just to see what the taste was like but I got scared.
#72 Old 02-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliemc View Post

I love the heel and am actually having at this moment, a tofurkey and veganaisse sammy with the heel. And someone was talking about marmite. I almost bought some this weekend just to see what the taste was like but I got scared.

It is very worth trying. You will either love it or hate it. I know, because the commercial says so.

If you don't like it spread on toast, try using it to flavor up veggie broth.
#73 Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I can't stand the heels - I don't like the crusts on regular slices either. As a child my parents told me the crusts had more nutrients (HA!) so I HAD to eat them...

I'm an adult now and can make my own decisions, and one of those is "I don't have to eat the crusts if I don't want to".

Maybe if I ate sourdough or white bread with the lighter/softer crusts I'd be more interested in eating the crusts/heels.

They don't go to waste - I feed them to my dog...
#74 Old 02-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Beginner

It is definately the bread butt.
#75 Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Beginner

Gross. The ends of any loaf of bread are gross. I leave those for my boyfriend.
#76 Old 02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Beginner

ewww it's crust.

and, blue: your inquiry about the crust/calorie connection worries me
#77 Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Beginner

I've worked in several varying food service establishments, and one rule remained constant: Never EVER serve customers/residents the heel of a loaf. It was akin to serving leftovers.

To me, it depends on how chewy or hard the heel is. If it's gonna take a lot of effort to chew it, I'll pass.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#78 Old 02-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Beginner

I give it to the wild birds, crumble it up for them.
#79 Old 02-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

It is very worth trying. You will either love it or hate it. I know, because the commercial says so.

If you don't like it spread on toast, try using it to flavor up veggie broth.

Thank you, I will get some this weekend when I make the weekly trek to Wild Oats. It better be good. I plan on moving my family to NZ in two years and I know they have a similar product. I'll use it on toast and I'll post back with my revue, lol.
#80 Old 02-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Beginner

Half the reason I bake my own bread is so that I can slice off the heels, slather them with margarine or fig preserves and devour them while they're still hot.
#81 Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't say its the best part, but I do love the bread's butt, especially with nut-bread
#82 Old 02-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

it's like vegemite, only better

*waits for flogging from australians*

This Aussie totally agrees with you Oregon.

I will qualify that by saying "British" Marmite is better than Vegemite (too sweet is vegemite!)

Australia also produces 'Marmite' - it is nothing like UK marmite tho. Because of Australia having it's own product called marmite, British marmite is sold under the name "OUR MATE" in Australia & is hard to come by. I recently found it in my local Coles tho. Otherwise only in specialty European delis.

I really recommend OurMate or British Marmite as it contains B12 is is simply the best taste (especially Marmite & watercress sandwiches, mmmmmm!)
#83 Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

Half the reason I bake my own bread is so that I can slice off the heels, slather them with margarine or fig preserves and devour them while they're still hot.

Heels from freshly baked bread are an entirely different story... I love those just as much as the rest of the loaf!
#84 Old 02-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Beginner

i used too when i was a kid...i loved them....but now not so much...i dont eat that much bread anymore--but when i do if i can avoid it wont eat the heel.

peace and love

jenn
#85 Old 02-22-2006, 11:48 PM
ren
Beginner

Mmm- always been my favourite part of the loaf! My husband loves it too so we get one end each!
#86 Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Beginner

They're great for sandwiches you're packing to eat later (eg, lunch). The seem to hold in the condiments better - they don't get soaked through the way regular sandwich bread sometimes can.
#87 Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

My mom used to keep the heels on the loaf to keep the rest of the bread from drying out in the sack. I thought there was something wrong with it until I got old enough to ask. She explained, then ate the two heals at the end of the loaf in a sandwich. When she baked bread it never lasted long enough to need protection. That is when I learned the heels were the very best part.
#88 Old 02-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Beginner

I eat the 'heels'. Lol, I like how you dubbed them heels, it seems a bit wierd. ^^;

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page