Potassium metabisulfite - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Beginner

Anyone know the origin of this ingredient? A friend bought me some Welch's grape juice, and this is used as an ingredient. I can't find anything to say it isn't Vegan, but i'm not very good at this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Beginner

i just looked this up in my Food Additives book and this is what is says:

"the same as sodium bisulfite. the additive is unsafe or very poorly tested. destroys vitamin B1. small amounts may cause asthma, anaphylactic shock; dangerous for asthma and allergy sufferers; has caused death; banned on fresh fruits and vegetables except potatoes."

i know that this doesn't really tell you if it's vegan or not, but maybe it will help decide if you even want to drink it.

ah, what the FDA allows to be put in our food... good luck!

erica
#3 Old 02-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post

"the same as sodium bisulfite. the additive is unsafe or very poorly tested. destroys vitamin B1. small amounts may cause asthma, anaphylactic shock; dangerous for asthma and allergy sufferers; has caused death; banned on fresh fruits and vegetables except potatoes."

i know that this doesn't really tell you if it's vegan or not, but maybe it will help decide if you even want to drink it.

erica

OMIGOD!

And they market this stuff to children - what the heck are they thinking?!
#4 Old 02-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:

erica

My response to that is: WTF?!

Well, I'm going to the store today. I'll get my own grape juice - one that doesnt have this in it
#5 Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Beginner

these 'side effects' probably only happen at high doses, but it's still scary! i've heard that Juicy Juice brand is pretty good. but be leary becuase even things that say '100% fruit juice' on the label have crap in there that didn't come from fruit the last time i checked! i don't know how that can be legal, but i've seen it a lot! take care and good luck finding a juice!
#6 Old 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
banned on fresh fruits and vegetables except potatoes.

Ah yes, my evil nemesis, the non-organic potato! Begone vile tuber!
#7 Old 02-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Beginner

...I've seen organic pommes de terre...

No cheers for toxic additives...
#8 Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

erica

potassium metabisulfite is not the same as sodium bisulfite. That being said they are both "sulfites" which in food are a class of preservatives often used to preserve color in dried fruit etc. They are believed to be safe for most people, some people have reactions to them. Sulfites can cause all of the above symptoms in people who are allergic to it, just like soy or corn can. I'm not sure if your book goes on to list health consequences for the general, non allergic, public but I think it is misleading to imply, essentially, that anyone consuming sulfites will have the same reaction as someone who is allergic to them.
#9 Old 02-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I'm not sure if your book goes on to list health consequences for the general, non allergic, public but I think it is misleading to imply, essentially, that anyone consuming sulfites will have the same reaction as someone who is allergic to them.

The book i have is called "Food Additives: A Shopper's Guide to What's Safe and What's Not" It guess I didn't realize that these side effects were only if you had an allergy to them. It doesn't say that anywhere in the book. Sorry! And i should have clarified that Potassium metabisulfite isn't the same THING as sodium bisulfite, but it has the same DESCRIPTION becuase it's in the same class of additives. oh, i think i have a headache now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page