Any nutritional benefits of frying/cooking seitan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Question Any nutritional benefits of frying/cooking seitan?

I've been wondering about this while preparing a batch of seitan to fry. I decided to try it "raw" and it's almost the same as the fried ones after they've spent half a day in the fridge.

The seitan I work with are from a shop. The chunks are already seasoned with red pepper powder and pepper, they have minced onion and garlic in them and sit in a bit of oil. The instruction says to saute/fry them on a bit of an oil for 5 minutes, then add a bit of water (though I skipped this).

They're a wee bit harder to chew while "raw" but it's negligible. I'm totally okay with them being cold. Are there any nutritional benefits of cooking/frying them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

I realize you're using quotes but want to highlight that seitan is not ever raw. The dough is either simmered, steamed or baked and while it often gets fried or some kind of second heating it wouldn't be any more or less nutritious.

I really love making seitan in many different ways! I've only tried packaged seitan once (think West soy brand) and liked homemade better. There are recipes specifically made to be deli type slices like this-
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06...unch-meat.html

If you really want to get serious about seitan I'd suggest Chef Michael Skye Conroys book Seitan and Beyond, or join a facebook group about it! I don't have the book myself but have looked into his recipes and groups enough to know it's really good.

I have an Instant Pot and have used the slow cook function as well as tried the steam function so I didn't heat up my oven in the summer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqD...rPN9bsn7TAch-g on youtube is probably my favorite site and very helpful for all kinds of tips and ideas!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 10-07-2017, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

And about it being harder to chew--if you use no more than about a third quantity of pureed beans, pressed tofu, besan or other types of non gluten flour to the vital wheat gluten it won't be as dense or chewy as using all gluten. Don't kneed quite so long.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page