Microwave Steamers? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Question Microwave Steamers?

Not that microwave cooking is a great idea but....I have seen these microwave steamers by Sistema. I buy a lot of frozen mixed veggies and have a bowl of mixed frozen veggies with a little butter (I have no weight problems). The microwaved frozen veggies taste fine to me, but I was wondering if one of these steamers would be a better idea. I read they reduce the cooking time, which means reducing the exposure to microwaves, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect View Post
Not that microwave cooking is a great idea but....I have seen these microwave steamers by Sistema. I buy a lot of frozen mixed veggies and have a bowl of mixed frozen veggies with a little butter (I have no weight problems). The microwaved frozen veggies taste fine to me, but I was wondering if one of these steamers would be a better idea. I read they reduce the cooking time, which means reducing the exposure to microwaves, right?
1. Microwave radiation is non-ionizing, and per photon carries less energy than infrared and of course visible light. It may seem counter-intuitive, but microwaving food is one of the best ways to heat it, as (atleast until oils are included) the temperature cannot easily exceed boiling, unlike cooking in a skillet where you have temperatures that can cause carcinogenic compounds to form (Any area of a food that is "browned" for instance). There is no worry of breaking molecules apart with microwave radiation, as said before it is too low frequency/energy to be ionizing.

2. Adding oils to a microwaved dish can cause the temperature to rise significantly (hence why they would cook quicker). The much higher temperatures can cause vitamins to break down, although in short cooking bursts, it will be a small percentage of them

3. Refined oil itself is not very healthy, so just the fact that it has oil (in the form of butter) is not the best. On top of that, it is butter, which is really not the best from a health standpoint (ethics as well...). Cholesterol, saturated fats, loads of salt, the fact that dairy isn't really good for humans, etc.

conclusion: Nuke pure veggies, no need for anything added to them to "reduce microwave exposure" as that is not really a real world concern (unless you put yourself in a microwave oven, but that would be just as bad as dropping yourself in to a pot of boiling water).

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#3 Old 09-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

I let frozen veggies defrost a bit, then only sautee, or micro, just enough to heat up.
A common work lunch is whole grain-usually rice, brown or white, maybe pasta, that's already made. (I'll freeze grains) with veggies straight from the freezer, then topped with something like a sauce made from peanut butter thinned with water or non dairy milk and hot sauce. Or curry powder, or just a bit of margarine and seasoning, maybe topped with nuts. I don't even put in the fridge, by lunch it's fine and takes a couple minutes in the micro
I never follow the cooking directions on frozen vegetable bags. Like for a stir fry, a little thaw and right in the pan, or at the end of cooking pasta- I'll scoop out the pasta from the water, leave about an inch in the pot and heat up the frozen broccoli. Then I just use a lot of nutritional yeast, a bit of miso, lemon juice and sauteed veggies like onion mushroom and garlic and pepper, spinach. This is dinner and tomorrow lunch
pinkfloydeffect likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 09-10-2017, 10:55 PM

Great info on the browned part of pan fried foods.

I was throwing my scoop of butter directly on the frozen vegetables before microwaving. Recently tried unrefined coconut oil instead of country crock and I really did not taste a major difference. So I am going to start using coconut oil, but I still like my salt and pepper.

I never follow the instructions on the frozen veggie bags either, but over the years I tend to heat on low power, stir and continue on full power. Typically I do not have time or patience to thaw, part of eating healthy as of recently is having my food ready and portioned asap or I will call for takeout of the worst kinds.

I guess I will not buy the steamer, seeing how frozen veggies so far cook fine in a bowl...and I will try to melt the butt..I mean coconut oil after it comes out of the microwave
#5 Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 PM

Without opening a new thread over an easily answerable question, off-topic can anyone advice me on ranch dressing. I picked up a huge bottle of Hidden Valley then started walking by other brands so I turned it around and bam vegetable oil. Most other brands said soybean oil...but that still comes from a seed so is that really any better? I ended up buying WishBone instead but I was thinking about trying a scratch recipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page