Pasta Sauce vs. Pizza Sauce - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Pasta Sauce vs. Pizza Sauce

One common practice that gets under my skin is using pasta sauce and pizza sauce as if they were interchangeable. I strongly believe that they are not. For me, there are differences.

PIZZA SAUCE:
NEVER cooked (before use)
Made with crushed tomatoes
Contains fennel seed

PASTA SAUCE:
ALWAYS cooked (before use)
Made with tomato sauce
NEVER made with fennel seed

Both contain red pepper flakes, but pasta sauce gets more than pizza sauce.

I've experimented with adding grape juice to pasta sauce (which in my head seems like it would be great), but haven't had much success yet.

(By 'pasta sauce' I mean a generic red sauce, not 'cream' sauces like alfredo. And pestos seem like a whole different thing from sauce)

Is anybody else here militant about pizza sauce and pasta sauce being different things?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

You know that scene in Lady and the Tramp where they both slurp up the same spaghetti strand? Yeah, that'll never be us!
I have added a jar of pizza sauce to my spaghetti, and vice versa and I've found I really enjoy the change!
I only use a little fennel in seitan sausage, I would never use it sauce!

You really mean raw crushed tomatoes as your pizza sauce?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Umm not militant. But my pizza sauce is a typically a stronger reduction than my pasta sauce. Tbh I've never really thought too much about it.

Curious, where did you get your differentiations? Do you have Italian ancestry or have you researched?

#4 Old 08-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooops. I thought they were interchangeable. *hangs head in shame* Mind, this is coming from someone who made thai curry risotto before.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 08-06-2017, 06:56 PM

I've never used pizza sauce as a pasta sauce, but in a pinch I have had to use pasta sauce as pizza sauce. It's surprisingly good on homemade personal size pizzas!

“He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
#6 Old 08-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
You really mean raw crushed tomatoes as your pizza sauce?
Nah, the crushed tomatoes in tins. They get cooked some in the canning process, but I don't do any additional cooking before putting it on the pizza. A lot of 'aficionados' swear by crushed San Marzano tomatoes, and use them without adding anything (except maybe basil).

Quote:
Curious, where did you get your differentiations?
I read up quite a bit on pizza. That's where I picked up on minimalist approaches ... The pasta sauce is largely my preferences. When I finished college and got my own place I hadn't done a lot of cooking, and survived on spaghetti. Little cans of tomato sauce were cheap - just cooked down tomatoes, not prepared pasta sauce. I taught myself about spices and such experimenting with those little cans.

When I was a kid I was kind of fascinated with the fennel seeds in the pizza sauce from our local pizzeria. So that's where that came from. My expectations for pizza sauce were kind of set by my experience growing up with Midwestern family pizza places. Pizza I make now is largely East coast ... Neopolitan crust, minimal toppings, 3 or 4 ingredient sauce. I play with other styles, but mostly stick with the one.

The way I look at it is pizza sauce is one component among equals, whereas pasta sauce is the star of the show.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page