fermented veggies?? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kitfit

#1 Old 07-26-2017, 09:44 AM

Question fermented veggies??

I was looking at a kimchi recipe online and it said that the main ingredient is fermented veggies. How does the fermenting process go? I'm not so sure about this fermented veggies thing, but the dish looks really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2017, 08:51 AM

I have made Kimchi and it is very good to have around. You can put it on things and make kimchi fried rice. A big head of cabbage makes so much. I don't remember when I made it but I still have some around in the fridge that we are still using. It is a very aggressive taste but very good in veggie bowls and on sandwiches.

About the fermenting process, it starts with drawing the water out of the cabbage and other veggies with salt. You have to rub salt onto the individual leaves and let them sit for a while. Then you put on the chili paste and mix it around and stuff it into jars. The jars sit on the counter for a few days and you put them into the refrigerator when they start to bubble. I am probably leaving something out but if you use a recipe and follow the steps you will be ok.

https://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-...-vegan-kimchi/

From memory, here are some things I learned from making it:

Most Kimchi recipes have fermented fish sauce or shrimp paste in it to jumpstart the process. I ended up using vegan miso paste instead.

If you use chlorinated water, it can kill the fermentation process. Use distilled water instead. Same goes for iodized salt. Use salt without iodine.

Have fun! It is an amazing process to do.
#3 Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 AM

Kimchi is beautiful! Luckily enough for me, my wife is Asian and knows how to make this beautifully. I will get her to write the recipe down then I will share it here.
tooljunkie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page