Cooking with barley - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Cooking with barley

Does anyone cook with barley? Like for a cold salad? I just tried making some in my Instant Pot, but it turned out all gummy. I'm sure I used too much water. But.... does barley ALWAYS turn out gummy? I want a nice reliable whole grain to use in salads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't used barley cold! I love it in soups, and make a dish with barley, cabbage, those disk shaped pasta, peas, carrots, and curry powder. It does have gluten which is what I think is why its sticky. That, and the fiber.

I think you'll need to rinse the barley after cooking if using it cold. I've certainly seen cold barley salads and it's been fluffy, more like wheat berries.

I don't think I'd like barley cold though. It's always been such a winter comfort food I can't get around having that texture and taste cold.

I do have farro and am going to try this recipe. Maybe it would be good with barley?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...recipe-1941860

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 07-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake4Squirrels View Post
Does anyone cook with barley? Like for a cold salad? I just tried making some in my Instant Pot, but it turned out all gummy. I'm sure I used too much water. But.... does barley ALWAYS turn out gummy? I want a nice reliable whole grain to use in salads.

Yes, some types of barley can be a little bit gummy or springy. Other kinds of barley are more mealy.

For salads, I like bulgur wheat, or brown rice. A very popular middle eastern salad, tabouli salad, is made with bulgur wheat.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 07-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.

#4 Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 PM
person

We eat barley often.It should be fluffy like properly cooked rice. I would say you did use too much water if you were using the absorption method if not then you didn't use enough water or you cooked it too long. There is about a 15 to 20 min difference in cooking time depending on whether you use pearl barley or wholegrain barley.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used barley in salads, I like it a lot. What you describe, sounds like you may have overcooked it?
When you cook it, use plenty of water to absorb the excess starch. Then when done rinse thoroughly in cold water and leave to drain.
It may come out very slightly 'tacky' and chewy but not gummy. Easy to fluff with a fork.
Good with fresh flavours like lemon, pepper, celery, parsley, spring onions.

Brown rice is a good salad grain (long or short). Also I've used whole wheat grains (wheat berries), bulgur wheat, wholewheat couscous, wholewheat pasta shapes, wholewheat noodles, white beans.. Most things can be turned into salad.
BlueMts likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 07-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.
#6 Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM
Vegan Informant

You can try soaking the barley in water for 6-10 hours or overnight first then cook it. Also try putting it into a salad.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tumblr at
#7 Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 AM
Riot Nrrrd

I tried barley once in chili. It is not suited for that application.

I think I used the rest of the barley I had in grain salads. I love grain salads. Even there the texture didn't seem quite right.

Guess I'm just a bulgur boy.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM

I am seeing this product everywhere, but is it organic?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
#9 Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Barley is like any other grain- it can be conventional or organic.
https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-ba...nition-3376829

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page