• 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By blue_green_gold
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Symondezyn
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Tom

#1 Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Tofu

What would you consider the best seasoning for this? I've always found it tasteless no matter what I put on it!
rose10 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richoo View Post
What would you consider the best seasoning for this? I've always found it tasteless no matter what I put on it!
Hi Richoo,

Although tofu doesn't have much flavor, it is able to absorb the flavor of sauces etc. You can make this happen by (1) marinating the tofu and/or (2) mashing the tofu into small pieces.

I like adding finely-mashed tofu to my spaghetti sauce, and eating with whole wheat pasta.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 03-19-2017, 02:30 PM

I'll take a new package, slice it into six or eight pieces, rub the pieces in either soy sauce or barbecue sauce, then bake at 350 for thirty or forty minutes, then put in the fridge.

Now they are tasty for sandwiches or stir fries or straight eating!
Linclass likes this.

#4 Old 03-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

What have you tried on it?

Personally, I like it cut in small rectangles seasoned with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Then cook it in pan-fry with a little olive oil until the sides are golden-brown.
Linclass likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 03-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Ankle Biter

My favorite way to eat tofu is in eggless egg salad. http://www.quietlyvegan.com/eggless-egg-salad.html

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 03-20-2017, 12:29 AM
person

We put hard tofu into rice and vegetables and nuts or into pasta and pasta sauce as the mood takes us .Also fluffy tofu in curries.

Soft tofu is good for cheese cake of various types.

The variety is endless (well almost)

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Last edited by BlueMts; 03-20-2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: clarrity
#7 Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Give peas a chance

Tofu + sugar in a food processor = dessert creme.

If you get extra firm tofu and press the water out, then cut into cubes, you can dredge them in cornstarch/salt/pepper then fry them. It gives them a crispy coating, like fried chicken.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#8 Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Anyone just eat raw tofu with a pinch of salt? I did. It's really tasty.

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
#9 Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Plant Powered

Think of tofu like a blank canvas - you wouldn't have eaten plain chicken or pork without seasoning or marinade right? Tofu is the same, only better, as you can get it in many different forms, which makes it super versatile! The key (with a medium or firm tofu) is to press the excess water out so it can absorb more flavour. Just taking it right out of the package and sprinkling salt on it will yield a pretty bland result for sure ^_^ If you have a cast iron pan, definitely use that to cook it too, it'll give you a beautiful charred flavour - i cook all my veggies, tofu, and seitan on a cast iron pan and it's magical ^_^

Also, if you're fairly new to tofu (or even if you're not), I highly recommend trying it if you can, in a restaurant where they know how to prepare it, so you can see how nice it can be Try agedashi tofu or teriyaki tofu in a Japanese restaurant, tofu pad thai in a Thai restaurant, or tofu banh mi in a Vietnamese restaurant, or if you're fortunate to be close to a vegetarian restaurant, you can try it in a scramble or a sandwich. Yum!
Mojo likes this.
#10 Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose10 View Post
I've found different brands of tofu have a distinctive taste, even when the same coagulant is used, but I do often each most of my portion cold as I'm preparing it to cook. Mostly with Braggs amino acids, or salt and pepper

I've made my own a few times and it's the best thing ever! I do have a soy milk maker which helps A LOT!

Need to add- people seem to be very particular on how they like tofu. Some swear by freezing it first for the texture. As much as I love tofu I hate it after it's been frozen! To me that gives it the texture of an old sponge
Mojo, Symondezyn and rose10 like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Need to add- people seem to be very particular on how they like tofu. Some swear by freezing it first for the texture. As much as I love tofu I hate it after it's been frozen! To me that gives it the texture of an old sponge
When I was newly vegan, doing this helped me a lot, as it seemed to be more of a texture I could identify with (not an old sponge lol - but a more "meaty" texture). Now I actually prefer my tofu on the softer side; I prefer medium over firm, and I will eat it plainer than I once did. I suppose it's an acquired taste, like many things ^_^
#12 Old 03-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose10 View Post
I've actually eaten raw tofu by itself, but I only like the firm kind that way. It reminds me vaguely of cottage cheese. But the vast majority prefer to flavor it some way, as several posters have mentioned above. I still haven't figured out how to make it like my favorite Chinese restaurants do.
Mojo and rose10 like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#13 Old 03-22-2017, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

My partner will only eat tofu if I cube it and add to a stir fry over rice with a peanut or tahini thai sauce (peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, pinch of maple syrup, turmeric).

My favorite way to eat it is just to blend it with a banana or strawberries, carob or cocoa powder, pinch of water, pinch of maple syrup for a breakfast pudding.

On rare occasion I have blended it with steamed sweet potato, vegan cheese (Daiya shreds), plant milk to make a thick creamy "cheese" sauce to go over macaroni for mac and cheese. Adding just a little vegan mayo with this makes it even richer and slightly tangy.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page