Chicken-style Seitan in my air fryer (Vegan + Oil Free) - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By MeatFreeAthlete
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-16-2017, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up Chicken-style Seitan in my air fryer (Vegan + Oil Free)

I made a quick video sharing my easy chicken-style seitan recipe, using my air fryer
It's high protein, low fat, and super cheap to make at home!

Recipe:

****EDIT: Sorry guys! I put this is the wrong thread by accident, and can't figure out how to delete or move it.
Mojo likes this.

Meat Free Athlete website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lifestyle Apparel & Jewelry:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube - Subscribe!:

Instagram:

Last edited by MeatFreeAthlete; 03-16-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Sorry guys! I put this is the wrong thread by accident, and can't figure out how to delete or move it.

YouTube - Subscribe!:

Instagram:
#3 Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I moved this to the general food discussion- it gets more attention than the individual recipe indexes.
I've been so intrigued by air fryers! Your picture looks so amazing!
Last night I made seitan sausages in my instant pot, wrapped in foil. Same time because they were wrapped up, but so much simpler than stove top!
I'll have to wait till later to see video
MeatFreeAthlete likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think the recipe would still work if you substitute the chickpea water for water?
Also, would it be good to use for other cooking methods besides air-frying or frying?

I have never made seitan at home I used to get the packages from whole foods but lately, they always seem to be out of it, so I've been thinking about doing it, and that recipe looks quite simple.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 03-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've been on a mission to try seitan every way, and had just been wondering what aquafaba would do! I had been thinking of using it for all the liquid! I'd never seen that used in any other recipe!

I notice you didn't use any oil, or acid, which I believe is needed to fully develop the gluten. I've forgotten it before and it was pretty appartant.. Like tough or something, it's been a while. I wonder if the aquafaba does that?

I've done active yeast
A jar of spaghetti sauce
Simmered, baked, simmered and then baked.

I do use a ton of seasoning in the dough, and often use Better than Boullion no chicken broth

Really good video! Thanks for sharing!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I moved this to the general food discussion- it gets more attention than the individual recipe indexes.
I've been so intrigued by air fryers! Your picture looks so amazing!
Last night I made seitan sausages in my instant pot, wrapped in foil. Same time because they were wrapped up, but so much simpler than stove top!
I'll have to wait till later to see video
Thanks so much for moving the post for me Silva!

Seitan sausages sound great! I have tried making seitan so many different ways, and I love how versatile is seems to be!

YouTube - Subscribe!:

Instagram:
#7 Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Do you think the recipe would still work if you substitute the chickpea water for water?
Also, would it be good to use for other cooking methods besides air-frying or frying?

I have never made seitan at home I used to get the packages from whole foods but lately, they always seem to be out of it, so I've been thinking about doing it, and that recipe looks quite simple.
I've only ever used the chickpea juice or oil, but I don't foresee bad results if you just used water to substitute the chickpea juice! I'd give it a try
Seitan seems pretty versatile to me, I've had it made so many different ways, so i have fun just experimenting with it.

Thanks, ya, I try to keep all my recipes simple / no fuss!

YouTube - Subscribe!:

Instagram:
#8 Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I've been on a mission to try seitan every way, and had just been wondering what aquafaba would do! I had been thinking of using it for all the liquid! I'd never seen that used in any other recipe!

I notice you didn't use any oil, or acid, which I believe is needed to fully develop the gluten. I've forgotten it before and it was pretty appartant.. Like tough or something, it's been a while. I wonder if the aquafaba does that?

I've done active yeast
A jar of spaghetti sauce
Simmered, baked, simmered and then baked.

I do use a ton of seasoning in the dough, and often use Better than Boullion no chicken broth

Really good video! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much for checking out the video, I'm glad you liked it

I've only ever made this recipe with either aqaufaba or oil, and the results are the same imo, so I usually opt for the oil free version. It didn't turn out tough or anything, it was crispy on the outside, and nice on the inside.

Yum, the way you made sounds really good too! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm always up for trying new vegan recipes!

YouTube - Subscribe!:

Instagram:

Tags
healthy , recipe , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page